Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about 10 hot stocks that have hit our trading screens today:
- Harleysville Group Inc. (NASDAQ:HGIC): Shares of Harleysville Group Inc. are trading higher today. Nationwide Mutual announced it is buying HGIC for $760 million, sending shares up 27%. Harleysville Group Inc. is an insurance holding company. The Company operates with Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company to form a network of insurance companies primarily in the eastern and midwestern United States. Harleysville underwrites personal and commercial property and casualty coverages, including automobile, homeowners, commercial multi-peril, and workers compensation.
- Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:WLL): Shares of Whiting Petroleum Corporation are trading higher today. Earlier in September, the stock was upgraded on valuation and investors are buying those shares today. Whiting Petroleum Corporation is involved in oil and natural gas exploitation, acquisition, and exploration activities. The Company focuses on lower risk, long-lived oil and natural gas properties located primarily in the Gulf Coast/Permian Basin, Rocky Mountains, Michigan, and Mid-Continent regions of the United States.
- BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. (NASDAQ:BDSI): Shares of BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. are trading lower today. The company said its Bema Buprenorphin failed to display overall pain-intensity difference from a placebo. Shares took a major dive. BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. is a development-stage biotechnology company that is developing and seeking to commercialize a drug delivery technology. The Company’s technology is designed for a broad base of pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and over-the-counter drugs. Biodelivery’s technology encapsulates the selected drug in a cochleate cylinder.
- Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN): Shares of Amazon.com, Inc. are trading lower today. Following yesterday’s positive Kindle Fire announcement, Wall Street is speculating hedge funds are executing end of quarter portfolio changes today as the tech sector is feeling it. Amazon.com, Inc. is an online retailer that offers a wide range of products. The Company’s products include books, music, videotapes, computers, electronics, home and garden, and numerous other products. Amazon offers personalized shopping services, Web-based credit card payment, and direct shipping to customers.
- Insituform Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:INSU): Shares of Insituform Technologies, Inc. are trading lower today after issuing a more cautious outlook on the remainder of the year. Insituform Technologies, Inc. provides cured-in place pipe and other technologies and services for the rehabilitation of pipeline systems. The Company’s businesses consist of sewer, drinking water and energy and mining pipeline rehabilitation and protection. Insituform services customers worldwide.
- American Electric Power Company, Inc. (NYSE:AEP): Shares of American Electric Power Company, Inc. are trading higher today. Wall Street analyst expectations for the upcoming quarterly earnings release were increased by a penny this morning. American Electric Power Company, Inc.(NYSE:AEP) is a public utility holding company. The Company provides electric service, consisting of generation, transmission and distribution, on an integrated basis to their retail customers. AEP serves portions of the states of Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE:AMD): Shares of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. are trading lower today after releasing weaker sales date. The tech company’s shares hit the 52-week low point today. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. manufactures semiconductor products. The Company manufactures products that include microprocessors, embedded microprocessors, chipsets, graphics, video and multimedia products. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. offers its products on a global basis.
- Thor Industries, Inc. (NYSE:THO): Shares of Thor Industries, Inc. are trading higher today following the release of a strong quarterly announcement and double-digit revenue growth. Thor Industries, Inc. produces and sells a wide range of recreation vehicles, as well as small and mid-size buses. The Company markets its products through independent dealers located throughout the United States and Canada. Thor’s products are sold under the Airstream Classic, Dutchmen, Skamper, Infinity, Four Winds, Citation, Signature, and other names.
- TeamStaff, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSTF): Shares of TeamStaff, Inc. are trading higher today. TeamStaff, Inc. provides a variety of human resource services. The Company’s services include professional employer organization, payroll processing, human resources administration, and placement of temporary and permanent employees.
- Worthington Industries, Inc. (NYSE:WOR): Shares of Worthington Industries, Inc. are trading upward over 3% today. The company missed on its earnings report on both revenues and earnings, yet investors are buying shares today. Worthington Industries, Inc., through its subsidiaries, processes steel and fabricates metal, focusing on specialized products requiring exact specifications. The Company’s products include flat rolled steel, pressure cylinders, metal framing products, and automotive body panels. Worthington also provides technical services.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>