11 Stocks Attracting Major Trading Interest May 11th
The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is selling off 159 points today to 12,601, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is lower at 1,339 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is cooling off at 2,835 on the 90th trading day of 2011, and here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
- Macy’s, Inc. (NYSE:M): Shares of Macy’s, Inc. are trading higher 7.82% to $28.29 per share today. Over 26 million shares have traded hands today. Macy’s beat Wall Street estimates and delivered a strong quarter with good consumer signs. Macy’s, Inc. operates department stores in the United States. The Company also operates direct mail catalog and electronic commerce subsidiaries. Macy’s retail stores sell a wide range of merchandise, including men’s, women’s and children’s apparel and accessories, cosmetics, home furnishings and other consumer goods.
- Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F): Shares of Ford Motor Company are trading lower 8 cents to $15.07 after reaching $15.35 earlier today. Over 37 million shares have traded hands. Here’s why auto stocks were given a boost by investors this morning. Ford Motor Company designs, manufactures, and services cars and trucks. The Company also provides vehicle-related financing, leasing, and insurance through its subsidiary.
- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS): Shares of The Walt Disney Company are trading lower 5.51% to $41.50 per share today. Over 25 million shares have traded hands on the heels of last night’s disappointing quarterly earnings report. The Walt Disney Company, an entertainment company, conducts operations in media networks, studio entertainment, theme parks and resorts, consumer products, and Internet and direct marketing. The Company produces motion pictures, television programs, and musical recordings, as well as publishes books and magazines. Disney also operates ABC radio and television and theme parks.
- Systemax Inc. (NYSE:SYX): Shares are trading higher 8.17% to $14.17 per share on the heels of a strong, profitable quarter. The company proved to Wall Street it can deliver profits to shareholders after consistently generating record sales quarters throughout the economic recovery. Systemax Inc. is a direct marketer of private label and brand name personal computers and related supplies, as well as industrial products, through branded websites and direct mail catalogs. The Company offers its own brand of Systemax built-to-order personal computers, including desktops and servers. Systemax operates in North America and in Europe.
- Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ:ROVI): Shares of Rovi Corporation are trading higher almost 18% to $58.56 per share today. 10 plus million shares have traded hands today. Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) had positive sentiments following Rovi’s quarterly earnings release. Rovi Corporation provides digital home entertainment experience by delivering solutions to businesses to protect, enhance an distribute digital goods to consumers across multiple channels. The Company’s services and products include connected middleware, media recognition, interactive programming guides, copy protection and rich media.
- JPMorgan (NYSE:JPM): Shares are down 2% to $44.26 per share today. Over 20 million shares have traded hands. Big banks are offering a $5 billion mortgage settlement to resolve all the noise surrounding the foreclosure investigations. JPMorgan Chase & Co. provides global financial services and retail banking. The Company provides services such as investment banking, treasury and securities services, asset management, private banking, card member services, commercial banking, and home finance. JP Morgan Chase serves business enterprises, institutions, and individuals.
- AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T): Shares of AT&T Inc. are trading down 1.29% to $31.28 per share today. Over 10 million shares have traded hands as executives lobby capitol hill on their huge T-Mobile merger earlier in the year. AT&T Inc. is a communications holding company. The Company, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, provides local and long-distance phone service, wireless and data communications, Internet access and messaging, IP-based and satellite television, security services, telecommunications equipment, and directory advertising and publishing.
- Astrotech Corp. (NASDAQ:ASTC): Shares of Astrotech Corp. are trading higher over 17% to $1.06 per share today. Over 1 million shares have traded hands. A subsidiary to the company was awarded a $16 million contract and investors are now giddy. Astrotech Corporation offers satellite launch preparation services. The Company offers hardware launch preparation; advance planning; and spacecraft checkout, encapsulation, fueling, transport, and remote control through launch.
- American International Group (NYSE:AIG): Shares are trading up 2.63% to $30.44 per share today. Over 10 million shares have traded hands. AIG and the Treasury plan to sell $300 million in shares. Also, the company plans to buy back shares in 2012. American International Group, Inc. is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries provides a varied range of insurance and insurance-related activities in the United States and abroad. The Company’s main activities include both general insurance and life insurance & retirement services operations as well as financial services and asset management.
- United States Steel Corporation (NYSE:X): Shares of United States Steel Corporation are trading lower 2.29% to $45.68 per share today. Over 5.74 million shares have traded hands. Investors are worried about the steel sector following the recent commodities market drop. United States Steel Corporation is an integrated steel producer with production operations in North America and Europe. The Company’s operations include coke production in both North America and Europe and iron ore pellets in North America, transportation services (railroad and barge operations), real estate operations, and engineering and consulting services in North America.
- Intel Corp (NASDAQ:INTC): Shares are trading up 1.22% to $23.31 per share today. Over 61 million shares have traded hands. Intel Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells computer components and related products. The Company’s major products include microprocessors, chipsets, embedded processors and microcontrollers, flash memory products, graphics products, network and communications products, systems management software, conferencing products, and digital imaging products.