15 Reasons Markets Moved This Week
Get 15 Reasons Markets Moved This Week sent to your inbox. Just type your email in the beige box in the right column and select these updates.
Dow 12,092 S&P500 1,310 Nasdaq 2,769 Gold 1,348
If you haven’t already checked out our awesome new high tech stock research tools, we invite you to take a short video tour or simply get started: Go to Wall St. Watchdog >>
Now, for the 15 reasons markets moved this week:
- Energy (NYSE:XLE) shares led markets higher. Egypt(NYSE:EGPT) is the catalyst of the moment, and energy companies are exploding to the upside. Don’t Miss: These 4 Energy Stocks are Making People Rich Right Now >>
- US Economic data prevented bears from taking over. Consumer Spending met expectations, Chicago PMI beat, and Dallas Fed Manufacturing was up but missed Wall Street projections by a little. Here’s How New Personal Consumption Data Compares to the Past >>
- If you’re note trading Oil (NYSE:USO), you’re not in the spotlight. But what the hell is happening with Gold (NYSE:GLD)? Let Us Help: Here’s a Daily Trading Brief on Gold & Silver >>
Here are Monday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), Pall Corporation (NYSE:PLL), Massey Energy Company (NYSE:MEE), Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE:CHK), Sohu.com Inc. (NASDAQ:SOHU), Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE:ITW), Changyou.com (NASDAQ:CYOU), NuStar Energy (NYSE:NS), Baidu.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:BIDU), Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC), International Rectifier Corporation (NYSE:IRF), Intel Corporation (NYSE:USO), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE:AMD).
- Now Check Out What’s Moving These Shares on the Final Trading Day of January >>
- Manufacturing data came in strong. This morning’s ISM PMI release had Wall Street getting high on growth. Don’t Miss: CHART OF THE DAY: A Major Engine of the Economy Is Not Double Dipping >>
- The Dow busted 12,000 on better-than-expected earnings. Blue chips such as Pfizer (NYSE:PFE), United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS), and Archer-Daniels Midland (NYSE:ADM) gave investors more reason to cheer. Are stocks over-bought or Is the S&P 500 Index Undervalued? >>
- Oil (NYSE:USO) is as popular on Wall Street as Egypt is in the mainstream media. We put together a special feature to get you in the game: Oil ETFs: The Top 10 Exchange Traded Funds for Your Oil Investing List >>
Here are Tuesday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS), Energizer Holdings (NYSE:ENR), Manitowoc Company (NYSE:MTW), Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE), Orexigen Therapeutics (NASDAQ:OREX), Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI), Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE:ADM), Lexmark International, Inc. (NYSE:LXK), Unisys Corporation (NYSE:UIS), The Western Union Company (NYSE:WU), Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS), AFLAC Incorporated (NYSE:AFL), United States Oil Fund (NYSE:USO), Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB).
- Now Check Out What’s Moving These Shares on the First Day of February >>
- That’s usually what happens the day after a monster move. Everyone takes a breather and digests new prices.
- Private sector jobs repeated last months blow-out. ADP said we added 187,00 new jobs, but last month the BLS Unemployment data disappointed two days later. Check Out: Your Ultimate Cheat Sheet To Unemployment Numbers >>
- Oil (NYSE:USO) calmed down, but is still getting a lot of buyers. We put together a special feature to get you in the game: Oil ETFs: The Top 10 Exchange Traded Funds for Your Oil Investing List >>
Here are Wednesday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Time Warner Inc. (NYSE:TWX), Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE:WHR), Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT), Hospira, Inc. (NYSE:HSP), Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS), Genworth Financial, Inc. (NYSE:GNW), NaviSite, Inc. (NASDAQ:NAVI), Lubrizol Corporation (NYSE:LZ), Visa Inc. (NYSE:V), The Hershey Company (NYSE:HSY), Ameriprise Financial, Inc. (NYSE:AMP), Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE:MRO), Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE:YUM), Allergan, Inc. (NYSE:AGN).
- Economic Data has been strong ahead of tomorrow’s Unemployment Report. Initial Jobless Claims fell 42,000 after last week’s rise and ISM Non-Manufacturing Services followed this week’s big beat by Manufacturing. Don’t Miss: CHART OF THE DAY: A Major Engine of the Economy Is Not Double Dipping >>
- Retail data was a lot better than expected. Consumers are back. Check Out:Retailer Roundup: Your Cheat Sheet to the Winning and Losing Stocks >>
- Gold (NYSE:GLD) got a major lift off Bernanke’s Economic Outlook. Talk of QE3? Maybe. Now you need to knowEverything You Need to Know About How Gold will Explode >>
Here are Thursday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Fronteer Gold Inc. (AMEX:FRG), The Estee Lauder Companies Inc. (NYSE:EL), Brightpoint, Inc. (NASDAQ:CELL), China New Borun Corp (NYSE:BORN), Hansen Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ:HNSN), E Commerce China Dangdang Inc (NYSE:DANG), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (NYSE:GDXJ), General Motors Company (NYSE:GM), AutoNation, Inc. (NYSE:AN), CVS Caremark Corporation (NYSE:CVS), Kellogg Company (NYSE:K), Goodrich Corporation (NYSE:GR), MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE:MA), and Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc (NYSE:HOT).
- Now, see the Extraordinary Stocks in Today’s Market >>
- BLS Unemployment data was “good enough”. Although only 36,000 jobs were added, the previous two months were revised upward and January settles at 9%. Don’t Miss: CHART OF THE DAY: Is Unemployment Muddling or Improving? >>
- The Dow is holding 12,000 support. Blue chips like Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), Kraft (NYSE:KFT), and du Pont (NYSE:DD) held the reigns to climb higher. Check Out: What Ever Happened to Robert Prechter’s Dow 1,000 Prediction? >>
- Gold (NYSE:GLD) couldn’t keep the momentum going. Although, Newmont Mining’s (NYSE:NEM) CEO thinks Gold will get to $1500 this year. Special Report:Everything You Need to Know About How Gold will Explode >>
Here are Friday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Aetna Inc. (NYSE:AET), JDS Uniphase Corporation (NASDAQ:JDSU), Silverleaf Resorts, Inc (NASDAQ:SVLF), Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE:TSN), Power-One, Inc. (NASDAQ:PWER), Sirona Dental Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRO), Silicon Image, Inc. (NASDAQ:SIMG), AmerisourceBergen Corp. (NYSE:ABC), Fortune Brands, Inc. (NYSE:FO), The Clorox Company (NYSE:CLX), Constellation Energy Group, Inc. (NYSE:CEG), Aon Corporation (NYSE:AON), Simon Property Group (NYSE:SPG), Apartment Investment and Management (NYSE:AIV), PPL Corporation (NYSE:PPL).
- Now, check out why these Stocks Attracted Trading Interest in Today’s Market >>
Improve Your Financial Health in 2011: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter >>