A number of insiders at Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) have liquidated large portions of their holdings. The oil services company’s stock has increased 9% year-to-date versus the S&P 500‘s (NYSE:SPY) increase of 6%. Over the past 52 weeks, the stock has increased 38%, compared to the 12% rise in the S&P 500. Despite operating in a capital-intensive industry it is fairly profitable: net profit margin for 2010 was 14.75%, operating margin was 17.82%, and EBITD margin was 27.49%. Its return on average assets was 10.01% and its return on average equity was 16.95%. Oil ETFs: The Top 10 Exchange Traded Funds for Your Oil Investing List>>
The company’s market capitalization is $125,020,000,000, it most recently sold for $91.31 per share, and there are 1,360,000,000 shares outstanding.
Following are details about recent insider transactions:
- Stephanie Cox, who is a Vice President, exercised 5,720 options at a cost of $31.19 per option on March 30th, 2011. She subsequently sold 1,927 shares at a market price of $92.93 for net proceeds of $681. She presently holds 16,668 shares worth $1,521,955.08 as of mid-day today.
- Mark Danton, who is a Vice President, exercised 40,000 options at a cost of $54.24 per option on March 30th, 2011. He subsequently sold 34,800 shares at a market price of $92.67 on March 30th. Net proceeds for these transactions were $1,055,516. He presently holds 47,555 shares worth $4,342,247.05 as of mid-day today.
- Paal Kibsgaard, who is the Chief Operating Officer, exercised 26,100 options at a cost of $37.85 per option on March 3rd. He subsequently sold 26,100 shares at a market price of $91.71. The net proceeds for these transactions were $1,405,876. He presently holds 15,681 shares worth $1,431,832.11 as of mid-day today.
- Rodney Nelson, who is a Vice President, exercised 8,000 options at a cost of $27.87 per option on March 31st. He subsequently sold 6,300 shares at a market price of $93.97 per share on March 31st. The net proceeds for these transactions was $369,027. He presently holds 8,809 shares worth $804,349.79 as of mid-day today.
- Jean-Francois Poupeau, who is a Vice President, exercised 20,000 options at a cost of $27.87 per option on March 30th. He subsequently sold 6,505 shares at a market price of $93.76 per option on March 30th. The net proceeds for these transactions were $52,449. He presently holds 36,901 shares worth $3,369,430.31 as of mid-day today.
Other insiders at the company include:
- Philippe Camus: He has been a director of the Company since 2007. He is Chairman of the Board of Alcatel-Lucent (NYSE:ALU), a global communications solutions provider.
- Peter L.S. Currie: He has been a director of the Company since April 2010. He has been President of Currie Capital LLC, a private investment firm, since May 2004. He is a director of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), a wireless internet service provider, and is a member both of its compensation committee and of its audit committee, which he chairs.
- Andrew Gould: He has been a director of the Company since 2002 and has been Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Company since February 2003. Since 2002, he has served as director of Rio Tinto plc and Rio Tinto Limited(NYSE:RIO), a mineral resources group. In 2008, he was appointed the senior independent nonexecutive director and chairman of its remuneration committee. He is also a member of Rio Tinto’s nominations committee.
- Tony Isaac: He has been a director of the Company since 2003 and is its lead independent director. He was the former Chief Executive of the BOC Group plc, an international group with three business segments consisting of Gases and Related Products, Vacuum Technology and Supply Chain Solutions, from September 1999 to October 2006.
- K. Vaman Kamath: He has been a director of the Company since April 2010. He has been the non-executive Chairman of the Board of ICICI Bank Limited(NYSE:IBN), a banking institution, since May 2009, and was the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of ICICI Bank Limited from 2002 to May 2009. He has also been a director of Infosys Technologies Limited (NASDAQ:INFY), an information technology services company, since May 2009, and a director of Lupin Limited, a pharmaceutical company, since January 2010.
- Nikola Kudryavstev: He has been a director of the Company since 2007. Since June 1997, he has been the Rector of the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, the most prestigious institute of theoretical and applied physics in Russia.
- Adrian Lajous: He has been a director of the Company since 2002. He has been a Senior Energy Advisor at McKinsey & Company and President of Petromerica, an energy consulting company, in both cases since January 2001. Mr. Lajour is a director of Ternium, S.A. (NYSE:TX), a flat and long steel producer, and serves on its audit committee. He is also a director of Trinity Industries, Inc. (NYSE:TRN), a volume producer of freight and tank railcars, and serves on its audit and the finance and risk management committees.
- Michael E. Marks: He has been a director of the Company since 2005. He was a Senior Advisor to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (NYSE:KKR), a private equity firm, and was a Member of that firm from January 2006 to January 2007. From 1994 to 2006, he served as the Chief Executive Officer of Flextronics, Inc.(NASDAQ:FLEX), a leading producer of advanced electronic manufacturing services. He also served as a director of Flextronics from 1991 to 2008. He is a director at SanDisk (NASDAQ:SNDK) (since 2003), a memory products company, and a member of its compensation and its nominating and governance committees. Until Sun Microsystems’ merger with Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL) in January 2009, he was a director at Sun Microsystems (since 2007), a network computing infrastructure product and service company, and a member of its audit committee.
- Elizabeth Anne Moler: She has been a director of the Company since September 2010. She served as Executive Vice President, Government Affairs and Policy forExelon Corporation (NYSE:EXC) for over ten years.
- Leo Rafael Reif: He has been a director of the Company since 2007. He has been Provost, Chief Academic Officer and Chief Budget Officer of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) since August 2005.
- Tore I. Sandvold: He has been a director of the Company since 2004. He has been Chairman of Sandvold Energy AS, an advisory company in the energy business, since September 2002. Mr. Sandvold is a director of Teekay Corporation(NYSE:TK) (since 2003), a leading provider of international crude oil and petroleum product transportation services, where he is a member of its nominating and governance committee. Mr. Sandvold has served as executive Chairman of Petoro AS, a national company wholly-owned by Norway.
- Henri Seydoux: He has been a director of the Company since 2009. Since 1994, he has been Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Parrot S.A., a global provider of wireless mobile telephone accessories. Mr. Seydoux is an entrepreneur with great initiative. He founded Parrot S.A. in 1994 as a private company and took it public in 2007.
About the company: Schlumberger Limited is an oil services company. The Company, through its subsidiaries, provides a wide range of services, including technology, project management and information solutions to the international petroleum industry as well as advanced acquisition and data processing surveys. Competitors to Schlumberger include Halliburton (NYSE:HAL), Weatherford (NYSE:WFT), Baker Hughes (NYSE:BHI), National-Oilwell Varco (NYSE:NOV) and Allis-Chalmers (NYSE:ALY).