Over the past two months, insiders at The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) have sold about 200,000 shares, often exercising options and immediately selling them the same day. Insiders own approximately 7.37% of the company’s 1,900,000,000 outstanding shares.
The Walt Disney Company has a market capitalization of $80,670,000,000. Its profit margins for fiscal 2010 were as follows: net profit margin was 11.33%, its operating margin was 17.41%, and its EBITD margin was 21.63%. Its return on average assets was 6.52% and its return on average equity was 11.12%.
Its stock has returned 13.25% year-to-date, compared to a 6% rise in the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) over the same period.
Following are the relevant details on recent insider transactions:
- James A Rasulo, who is the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, exercised 100,000 options at a cost of $27.59 per option on March 21st, 2011, and 55,000 options at a cost of $24.87 per option on March 24th, 2011. He sold 100,000 shares at a market price of $41.24 on March 21st, 2011, and 55,000 shares at a market price of $42.90 on March 24th. His net proceeds from these transactions was $2,356,545. He presently holds 33,012 shares, with a market value of approximately $1,400,000.
- Brent Woodford, who is Senior Vice President, Planning and Control, sold 2,500 shares on March 3rd, 2011 at a market price of $43.95, for total proceeds of $109,875. He presently holds 24,454 shares, with a market value of approximately $1,000,000.
- John E Bryson, who is a Director, exercised 12,000 options on March 1st, 2011, at a cost of $26.95 per option. He subsequently sold 12,000 shares on March 1st, 2011 at a market price of $43.75. His net proceeds for these transactions was $201,660. He presently holds 49,135 shares with a market value of approximately $2,100,000. He is the former Chairman and CEO of Edison International (NYSE:EIX).
- Judith Estrin, who is a Director, exercised 6,000 options at a cost of $30.49 per option, for a total cost of $182,940. She presently holds 51,468 shares with an approximate market value of $2,200,000.
- Monica C. Lozano, who is a Director, exercised $30.49 options at a cost of $30.49 per option on February 22nd, 2011. She subsequently sold 6,000 shares at a market price of $42.87 on February 22,2011, for net proceeds of $74,309. She presently hold 38,740 shares with an approximate market value of $1,600,000. She is the Chief Executive Officer of impreMedia LLC and Publisher and Chief Executive Officer of La Opinión, the largest Spanish-language newspaper in the United States. She has also served as a director of Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC) since 2005.
In addition to these insiders, its other insiders include the following members of its Board of Directors and senior management:
- Susan Arnold, former President–Global Business Units of Procter & Gamble(NYSE:PG). She has been a Director of Disney since 2007.
- Steve Jobs, CEO and co-founder of Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL). He has been a Director of Disney since 2006, following Disney’s acquisition of Pixar.
- Robert W. Matschullat is a private equity investor and retired Vice Chairman of the board of directors and CFO of the Seagram Company Ltd. He previously worked in senior management roles at Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS).
- Fred H. Langhammer is Chairman, Global Affairs, of The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. (NYSE:EL).
- John E. Pepper, Jr., is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Disney. He is Co-Charman of the National Undeground Railroad Freedom Center and previously worked at Yale University as Vice President of Finance and Administration. He has also served on the Board of Directors of the Procter & Gamble Co. (NYSE:PG)
- John S. Chen is Chairman and CEO of Sybase, a software company wholly owned by SAP AG (NYSE:SAP).
- Aylwin B. Lewis is the former President and CEO of Sears Holding Corporation(NASDAQ:SHLD), the company which Edward S. Lampert controls.
- Sheryl Sandberg is the Chief Operating Officer of Facebook, Inc. and has previously served as President of Global Online Sales for Google, Inc.(NASDAQ:GOOG).
- Judith S. Estrin is the Chief Executive Officer of JLABS LLC, a privately held company. She has previously served in executive roles at Cisco Systems, Inc.(NASDAQ:CSCO) and served on the board of directors of FedEx Corporation(NYSE:FDX).
- Orin C. Smith previously served as President and Chief Executive Officer ofStarbucks Corporation (NASDAQ:SBUX) from 2000 to 2005.
- Robert A. Iger has served as President and Chief Executive of Disney since October 2005.
- Alan Braverman is Senior Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of the Walt Disney Company.
- Ronald L. Iden is Senior Vice President, Global Security.
- Kevin Mayer is Executive Vice President, Corporate Strategy and Business Development.
- Christime M. McCarthy is Executive Vice President, Corporate Real Estate, Sourcing, Alliances, and Treasurer.
- Zenia Mucha is Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications.
- Jayne Parker is Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Andy Bird is Chairman, Walt Disney International.
- George W. Bodenheimer is Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks and President, ESPN, Inc. and ABC Sports.
- Andrew P. Mooney is Chairman, Disney Consumer Products Worldwide.
- Rich Ross is Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios.
- Thomas O. Staggs is Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
- Anne Sweeney is Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks and President, Disney•ABC Television Group
- John Pleasants is Co-President, Disney Interactive Media Group and General Manager, Playdom.
- James Pitaro is Co-President, Disney Interactive Media Group.
About the Company: The Walt Disney Company, an entertainment company, conducts operations in media networks, studio entertainment, theme parks and resorts, consumer products, and Internet and direct marketing. The Company produces motion pictures, television programs, and musical recordings as well as publishes books and magazines. Disney also operates ABC radio and television and theme parks. Competitors to Disney include: Aol Inc. (NYSE:AOL), New York Times (NYSE:NYT), News Corp (NASDAQ:NWSA), InterActive Corp (NASDAQ:IACI), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), CBS (NYSE:CBS), General Electric (NYSE:GE), Viacom (VIA.B) and Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA).