5 Stocks Attracting Notable Trade Attention on 100th Trading Day of 2011
The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is popping higher 70 points today at 12,426, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is moving up 4 points at 1,324 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is up 21 points at 2,767 on the 100th trading day of 2011, and here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
1) American Group International (NYSE:AIG): Shares are down 5% to $27.98 per share. Over 146 million shares have traded hands relative to the 5 million daily average. The U.S. Treasury sold its 200 million share stake at $29 per share, receiving payback for its bailout investment stake. American International Group, Inc. is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries provides a varied range of insurance and insurance-related activities in the United States and abroad. The Company’s main activities include both general insurance and life insurance & retirement services operations as well as financial services and asset management. Competitors to Watch: Hartford Financial Services (NYSE:HIG), HCC Insurance Hldgs., Inc. (NYSE:HCC), American Financial Group (NYSE:AFG), ACE Limited (NYSE:ACE), The Chubb Corporation (NYSE:CB), The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE:TRV), White Mountains Insurance Group, Ltd. (NYSE:WTM), CNA Financial Corporation (NYSE:CNA), and Loews Corporation (NYSE:L).
2) Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL): Shares of Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation are trading lower 9.14% to $117.56 per share today. Over 6.5 million shares have traded hands relative to the 626,000 daily average. The company reported its latest quarterly report this morning and shareholders are trimming the stock price. Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation designs, markets, and distributes men’s, women’s and children’s apparel, accessories, fragrances, and home furnishings. The Company’s products are sold under a wide range of brands. Polo’s operations include Wholesale, Retail and Licensing. Competitors to Watch: Liz Claiborne, Inc. (NYSE:LIZ), The Warnaco Group, Inc. (NYSE:WRC), Maidenform Brands, Inc. (NYSE:MFB), Jones Apparel Group, Inc. (NYSE:JNY), Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN), Guess?, Inc. (NYSE:GES), Coach, Inc. (NYSE:COH), Phillips-Van Heusen Corp. (NYSE:PVH), V.F. Corporation (NYSE:VFC). Frederick’s of Hollywood Group Inc. (AMEX:FOH), Vera Bradley, Inc. (NASDAQ:VRA), Tiffany & Co. (NYSE:TIF), Fossil, Inc. (NASDAQ:FOSL), Piquadro S.p.A. (NYSE:PQ), Wet Seal (NASDAQ:WTSLA), Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF), Gap (NYSE:GPS), Express (NYSE:EXPR), Urban Outfitters (NASDAQ:URBN) and Limited Brands (NYSE:LTD)
3) Insmed, Inc (NASDAQ:INSM): Shares are up 3.38% to $10.25 per share today. The stock is up over 1 week from $8.50 per share, or up 21%. Over 122,000 shares have traded hands today relative to the daily average of 78,000. The company remains a strong speculative buyout candidate in the healthcare industry. Insmed Incorporated is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of innovative inhaled pharmaceuticals for the site-specific treatment of serious lung diseases, and has a proprietary protein platform aimed at niche markets with unmet medical need. Insmed’s primary focus is on the development of inhaled antibiotic therapy delivered via proprietary advanced pulmonary liposome technology in areas of high unmet need in lung diseases. Competitors to Watch: Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE), Bristol Myers Squibb Co. (NYSE:BMY), Cephalon, Inc. (NASDAQ:CEPH), AVI BioPharma, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVII), Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK), Roche Holding Ltd. (RHHBY), Eli Lilly & Co. (NYSE:LLY), Amgen, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMGN), Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT), and Array BioPharma Inc. (NASDAQ:ARRY).
4) Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ:SIRI): Shares are higher 2.64% to $2.33 per share today. Over 130 million shares have traded hands relative to the daily average of 85 million per day. Moody’s raised the company’s debt ratings from B3 to B2 and raised its probability of default rating from B2 to B1. Sirius XM Radio Inc. broadcasts various channels of audio from its satellites. The Company provides its services throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee. Sirius delivers various streams of commercial-free music in every genre, as well as streams of news, sports, weather, talk, comedy, and public radio. Competitors to Watch: Westwood One, Inc. (NASDAQ:WWON), Entercom Communications Corp. (NYSE:ETM), Cumulus Media Inc. (NASDAQ:CMLS), Emmis Communications Corp. (NASDAQ:EMMS), Radio One, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROIAK), CBS Corporation (NYSE:CBS), Disney (NYSE:DIS), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), Grupo Radio Centro SAB de CV (NYSE:RC), Salem Communications Corp (NASDAQ:SALM) and Saga Communications, Inc. (AMEX:SGA).
5) Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. (NYSE:MSO): Shares are up over 25% to $4.72 per share today. Over 5.55 million shares have traded hands. Word on the street is the company hired Blackstone Advisory Partners to explore strategic alternatives, potentially putting itself on the sales block. Martha Stewart is slated to return to the board in Q3. Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. creates original how-to content and related products for homemakers and other consumers. The Company markets its brand name across a broad range of media and retail outlets. Martha Stewart provides information on a variety of subjects including home, cooking and entertaining, gardening, crafts, holidays, household maintenance, and weddings. Competitors to Watch: Meredith Corp (NYSE:MDP), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), News Corp (NASDAQ:NWSA) and McGraw-Hill (NYSE:MHP).