5 Stocks Sparking Huge Trade Interest May 17th
The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is down over 100 points today at 12,446, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is lower 4 points at 1,324 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is cooling down 10 points at 2,772 on the 94th trading day of 2011, and here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
1) Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ): Shares of Hewlett-Packard Company are trading lower 7.74% to $36.72 per share today. Over 76 million shares have traded hands. The company pre-released its earnings report this morning and investors opting for other company shares today. Hewlett-Packard Company provides imaging and printing systems, computing systems, and information technology services for business and home. The Company’s products include laser and inkjet printers, scanners, copiers and faxes, personal computers, workstations, storage solutions, and other computing and printing systems. Hewlett-Packard sells its products worldwide. Competitors to Watch: Dell Inc. (NASDAQ:DELL), Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL), Oracle Corporation (NASDAQ:ORCL), Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT), Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO), Intl. Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM) and EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC).
2) Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU): Shares of Micron Technology are lower 6.73% to $9.84 per share today. Over 49 million shares have traded hands. H-P’s earnings report this morning is dragging down the chip sector as a result. Micron Technology, Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and markets dynamic random access memory chips (DRAMs), very fast static random access memory chips (SRAMs), Flash Memory, other semiconductor components, and memory modules.
3) Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT): Shares of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. are trading lower 1.16% to $55.41 per share today. 10 million shares have traded hands. The behemoth mega-retailer announced its earnings report this morning. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates discount stores, supercenters, and neighborhood markets. The Company’s discount stores and supercenters offer merchandise such as apparel, housewares, small appliances, electronics, and hardware. Walmart’s markets offer a full-line supermarket and a limited assortment of general merchandise. The Company operates nationally and internationally. Competitors to Watch: Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT), Costco Wholesale Corp. (NASDAQ:COST), Dollar General Corp. (NYSE:DG), BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc. (NYSE:BJ), Family Dollar Stores, Inc. (NYSE:FDO), Gordmans Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:GMAN), Dollar Tree, Inc. (NASDAQ:DLTR), Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY), Best Buy (NYSE:BBY), Bed, Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY) and Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL).
4) The Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD): Shares of The Home Depot, Inc. are trading higher 1.46% to $37.52 per share today. Over 13 million shares have traded hands. The home products retailer delivered their quarterly report this morning. The Home Depot, Inc. is a home improvement retailer that sells building materials and home improvement products. The Company’s sell a wide assortment of building materials, home improvement and lawn and garden products and provide a number of services. Home Depot operates throughout the U.S. (including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Guam), Canada, China, and Mexico. Competitors to Watch: Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE:LOW), Builders FirstSource, Inc. (NASDAQ:BLDR), Lumber Liquidators Hldgs., Inc. (NYSE:LL), Tractor Supply Company (NASDAQ:TSCO), Hornbach-Baumarkt-AG (NYSE:HBM), PulteGroup (NYSE:PHM), Toll Brothers (NYSE:TOL), D.R. Horton (NYSE:DHI), KB Home (NYSE:KBH), Lennar Corp (NYSE:LEN), Beazer Homes (NYSE:BZH) and Sherwin-Williams (NYSE:SHW).
5) Saks Incorporated (NYSE:SKS): Shares of Saks Incorporated are trading down 1% at $11.15 per share today. 4 million shares have traded hands following the release of the company’s earnings report this morning. Saks, Inc. operates department stores in the United States. The stores offer a wide variety of branded and private label merchandise including luxury apparel, shoes, accessories, cosmetics, and decorative home furnishings. Competitors to Watch: Macy’s, Inc. (NYSE:M), J.C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE:JCP), Dillard’s, Inc. (NYSE:DDS), Nordstrom, Inc. (NYSE:JWN), Kohl’s Corporation (NYSE:KSS), Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ:SHLD), Coach (NYSE:COH), Vera Bradley (NASDAQ:VRA), Fossil Inc (NASDAQ:FOSL), Liz Claiborne (NYSE:LIZ), Guess? (NYSE:GES), Polo Ralph Lauren (NYSE:RL), The Estee Lauder Companies (NYSE:EL), Avon Products (NYSE:AVP) and Steven Madden (NASDAQ:SHOO).