The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) closed up at 11,961, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) closed higher at 1,267 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) closed lower at 2,623 on the 115th trading day of 2011, as these stocks hit our radar:
1) Southern Union Company (NYSE:SUG): Shares of Southern Union Company closed higher 17.51% to $33.21 per share. Energy Transfer Equity (NYSE:ETE) said Thursday it will acquire Southern Union for around $4.2 billion. Shares received a big boost on the news announcement. Southern Union Company, through subsidiaries, gathers, processes, stores, transports, and distributes natural gas. The Company transports natural gas by pipeline from gas producing areas to customers primarily in the southeast, midwest, and Great Lakes region. Southern Union also operates a liquefied natural gas (NYSE:UNG) import terminal. Competitors to Watch: El Paso Corporation (NYSE:EP), Atlas Pipeline Partners, L.P. (NYSE:APL), DCP Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE:DPM), Enterprise Products Partners L.P. (NYSE:EPD), Atlas Pipeline Hldgs., L.P. (NYSE:AHD), Spectra Energy Partners, LP (NYSE:SEP), Kinder Morgan Inc (NYSE:KMI), Copano Energy, L.L.C. (NASDAQ:CPNO), TC Pipelines, LP (NASDAQ:TCLP), and Oneok Partners LP (NYSE:OKS)
2) Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C): Shares of Citigroup closed lower almost 1% to $37.63 per share. The banking titan has tried to sell its CitiFinancial unit but continues to face pushback from potential buyers on the viability and health of the bank;s consumer finance division. Citigroup Inc. is a financial services holding company which provides corporations, governments, and consumers with a broad range of financial products and services. Competitors to Watch: Bank of America (NYSE:BAC), Deutsche Bank (NYSE:DB), JPMorgan Chase (NYSE:JPM), HSBC (NYSE:HBC), Metlife (NYSE:MET), PNC (NYSE:PNC), U.S. Bancorp (NYSE:USB), Financials (NYSE:XLF) and Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC).
3) Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. (NYSE:FCX): Shares of Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. closed lower 1.41% to $47.85 per share. The 2% dividend paying stock didn’t move much on the heels of Goldman Sachs’ (NYSE:GS) recent report increasing their copper price estimates due to supply constraints and the sleeping giant catalyst. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., through its subsidiary, is a copper, gold and molybdenum mining company. The Company primarily mines for copper and owns mining interests in Chile and Indonesia. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold also, through a subsidiary, is involved in smelting and refining of copper concentrates. Companies to Watch: iShares Gold (NYSE:GLD) and ishares Silver (NYSE:SLV).
4) MediaMind Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ:MDMD): Shares of MediaMind Technologies Inc. closed higher 37.45% to $21.91 per share. DG FastChannel announced it will acquire MediaMind for $418 million, or $22 per share. This is yet another sign the M&A markets are extremely strong and healthy right now. Mediamind Technologies Inc. is a global provider of digital advertising campaign management solutions to advertising agencies and advertisers. The Company’s integrated campaign management platform helps advertisers and agencies simplify the complexities of managing their advertising budgets across multiple digital media channels and formats, including online and mobile.
5) Actuant Corporation (NYSE:ATU): Shares of Actuant Corporation closed higher 5.48% to $24.07 per share. The company delivered double-digit revenue growth and higher profits in its most recent quarterly earnings release this week. Actuant Corporation manufactures and markets a broad range of industrial products and systems. The Company sells branded, specialized electrical and industrial tools to hydraulic and electrical wholesale distributors, to catalog houses, and through retail distribution channels. Actuant also designs and markets customized motion control systems for original equipment manufacturers. Competitors to Watch: Parker-Hannifin Corp. (NYSE:PH), Crane Co. (NYSE:CR), Omega Flex, Inc. (NASDAQ:OFLX), Sun Hydraulics Corporation (NASDAQ:SNHY), General Electric (NYSE:GE) and Danaher Corporation (NYSE:DHR).
6) NetApp Inc. (NASDAQ:NTAP): Shares of NetApp Inc. closed lower 1.78% to $49.65 per share. NetApp, Inc. provides storage and data management solutions. Data storage continues to be a high demand industry. This stock is one of Goldman Sachs’ increasing buy positions in 2011. The Company’s storage solutions include specialized hardware, software, and services that provide storage management for open network environments. NetApp serves enterprises, government agencies, and universities worldwide. Competitors to Watch: EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC), Dot Hill Systems Corp. (NASDAQ:HILL), Overland Storage, Inc. (NASDAQ:OVRL), Quantum Corporation (NYSE:QTM), ADPT Corporation (ADPT), Xyratex Ltd. (NASDAQ:XRTX), Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ:STX), Western Digital Corp. (NYSE:WDC), Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:BRCD), and Intl. Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM).
Father’s Day is Approaching June 19th: Make Your Father the Rich Dad with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s Winning Newsletter!