The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is higher 41 today at 12,436, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is up 7 points at 1,327 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is up at 2,785 on the 101st trading day of 2011, and here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
- Tiffany & Co. (NYSE:TIF): Shares of Tiffany & Co. are trading higher 8.6% to $76.06 per share today. Over 6 million shares have traded hands. The jewelry company popular among women issued a sparkling earnings report this morning. Tiffany & Co. operates jewelry and specialty retail stores and designs and manufactures its products through subsidiary companies. The Company retails its products through stores and boutiques in the United States, Mexico, Canada, and Brazil, and wholesales outside the United States. Tiffany also markets through the Internet and catalogs. Competitors to Watch: Zale Corporation (NYSE:ZLC), Blue Nile, Inc. (NASDAQ:NILE), DGSE Companies, Inc. (AMEX:DGSE), Coach, Inc. (NYSE:COH), Signet Jewelers (NYSE:SIG), Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN), eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY), Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) and Macy’s (NYSE:M).
- Guess?, Inc. (NYSE:GES): Shares of Guess?, Inc. are trading higher 11.75% to $44.79 per share today. Over 6 million shares have traded hands. The trendy retailer delivered a very strong earnings report as investors are cheering the stock upward. Guess?, Inc. designs, markets, distributes, and licenses a collection of casual apparel, accessories, and related consumer products. The Company’s apparel for men, women, and girls are marketed under branded names. Guess? provides full collections of denim and cotton clothing and has granted licenses to manufacture complementary products. Competitors to Watch: Liz Claiborne, Inc. (NYSE:LIZ), The Wet Seal, Inc. (NASDAQ:WTSLA), Express, Inc. (NYSE:EXPR), Destination Maternity Corp. (NASDAQ:DEST), The Cato Corporation (NYSE:CATO), bebe stores, inc. (NASDAQ:BEBE), Cache, Inc. (NASDAQ:CACH), Carter’s, Inc. (NYSE:CRI), The Talbots, Inc. (NYSE:TLB), and Ascena Retail Group Inc (NASDAQ:ASNA).
- H.J. Heinz Company (NYSE:HNZ): Shares of H.J. Heinz Company are trading up a half percent to $53.64 per share today. Over 2 million shares have traded hands following the release of the famous ketchup company’s quarterly report. H.J. Heinz Company manufactures and markets processed food products throughout the world. The Company’s principal products include ketchup, condiments and sauces, frozen food, soups, beans and pasta meals, infant nutrition and other processed food products. Competitors to Watch: Ralcorp Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:RAH), Smart Balance, Inc. (NASDAQ:SMBL), TreeHouse Foods Inc. (NYSE:THS), The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAIN), Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB), ConAgra Foods, Inc. (NYSE:CAG), Kraft Foods Inc. (NYSE:KFT), General Mills, Inc. (NYSE:GIS), Unilever plc (NYSE:UL), Kellogg (NYSE:K) and Unilever N.V. (NYSE:UN).
- NetApp Inc. (NASDAQ:NTAP): Shares of NetApp Inc. are trading higher 8.3% today. NetApp, Inc. provides storage and data management solutions. The Company’s storage solutions include specialized hardware, software, and services that provide storage management for open network environments. NetApp serves enterprises, government agencies, and universities worldwide.
- hhgregg, Inc. (NYSE:HGG): Shares of hhgregg, Inc. are trading higher 21% to $15.74 per share today. Over 2.5 million shares have traded hands after a smashing quarterly report this morning. hhgregg, Inc. retails video products, brand name appliances, audio products and accessories. Competitors to Watch: Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY), CONN’S, Inc. (NASDAQ:CONN), RadioShack Corporation (NYSE:RSH), GameStop Corp. (NYSE:GME), Systemax (NYSE:SYX), Funtalk China Hldgs. Ltd. (NASDAQ:FTLK), Costco (NASDAQ:COST), BJ’s Wholesale (NYSE:BJ), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Target (NYSE:TGT), Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD) and Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN).
- Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ARNA): Shares of Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. are trading higher 9.42% today. Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biotechnology company that has developed a receptor-based screening assay using their own CART technology. Competitors to Watch: GlaxoSmithKline plc (NYSE:GSK), Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE), Bristol Myers Squibb Co. (NYSE:BMY), Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK), Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT), Boston Scientific Corporation (NYSE:BSX), Eli Lilly & Co. (NYSE:LLY), and Amgen, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMGN).