8 Popular Stocks Moving and Shaking Markets Today
The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is giving back it’s big week gains and trading at 12,599, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is down at 1,337 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is lower 1% to 2,839 on the 130th trading day of 2011, as these stocks hit our radar:
1) Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F): Shares of Ford are trading lower 2.55% to $13.76 per share today. Over 34 million shares have traded hands. Ford ranked 7th in car sales in Russia from January to June. Also, according to the New York Times, a company called Eagle Harbor Holdings, has filed a federal lawsuit against Ford, pointing their finger at the auto manufacturer for infringing on seven patents.The good news: Ford is hiring 1,800 new jobs in Kentucky and is set to begin the hiring process. Ford Motor Company designs, manufactures, and services cars and trucks. The Company also provides vehicle-related financing, leasing, and insurance through its subsidiary. Competitors to Watch: General Motors Company (NYSE:GM), Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE:TM), Honda Motor CO., Ltd. (NYSE:HMC), AutoZone (NYSE:AZO), CarMax (NYSE:KMX), Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA), Tata Motors Limited (NYSE:TTM) and Navistar Intl. Corp. (NYSE:NAV).
2) Novartis AG (NYSE:NVS): Shares of Novartis are trading higher .4% to $62.05 per share today. Over a million shares have traded hands. Studies show Novartis AG’s Afinitor shrinks the size of a type of benign brain tumor.
Novartis AG manufactures pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare products. The Company produces pharmaceuticals for cardiovascular, respiratory and infectious diseases; oncology, neuroscience, transplantation, dermatology, gastrointestinal and urinary conditions, and arthritis; vaccines and diagnostics; vision, and animal health products.
3) Local.com Corp. (NASDAQ:LOCM): Shares of Local.com Corp. are trading higher 20% to $4.05 per share today. Over 4.8 million shares have traded hands. The company inked a deal with (NASDAQ:GOOG) to serve advertising and search services on certain websites. Local.com Corporation operates an Internet search engine. The Company assists users in finding local businesses and services.
4) Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMLN): Shares of Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. are trading higher over 5% to $14.41 per share today. Over 5 million shares have traded hands. The company’s diabetes drugs has been deemed safe for the heart. Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes medicines for diabetes and obesity. The Company’s marketed products include treatments for adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
5) Youku.com Inc (NYSE:YOKU): Shares of Yoku.com are trading higher over 3% to $38.33 per share today. China is back in play today as shares are seeing a boost in volume higher than the daily average already. Youku.com Inc. is an Internet television company. The Company’s Internet television platform enables consumers to search, view and share video content quickly and easily across multiple devices in the People’s Republic of China.
6) Lumber Liquidators Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:LL): Shares of Lumber Liquidators Holdings, Inc. are trading higher over 1.8% to $18.65 per share today. Over 1.7 million shares have traded hands. In the company’s latest earnings report on Thursday, sales declined more than expected due to the housing industry slowdown. Lumber Liquidators Holdings, Inc. retails hardwood flooring in the United States. The Company sells domestic and exotic wood species in both prefinished and unfinished forms.
7) Autoliv Inc. (NYSE:ALV): Shares of Autoliv Inc. are trading lower over 9% to $72.36 per share today. Over 1.5 million shares have traded hands. The company issued a warning that U.S. and European antitrust investigations could damper upcoming results. Autoliv, Inc. develops and manufactures automotive safety systems for automotive manufacturers. The Company’s products include seat belts, airbags, anti-whiplash seats, child restraints, and leg protection equipment. Autoliv tests cars and products at crash test tracks in several countries.
8) Ixia (NASDAQ:XXIA): Shares of Ixia are trading lower 23.9% to $9.90 per share today. Over 4.8 million shares have traded hands. The reduced its growth outlook for the remainder of the year and stroked an element of fear into shareholders who are fleeing shares today. Ixia provides high speed, multi-port network performance analysis systems. The Company’s systems generate and analyze data traffic, including voice over Internet protocol traffic.