The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) closed lower 21 points at 12,048, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) closed down 5 points at 1,279 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) closed lower 26 points to 2,675 on the 109th trading day of 2011, as these stocks hit our radar:
- Ciena Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN): Shares of Ciena Corporation closed lower 16.19% to $20.29 per share today. Over 34.5 million shares traded hands. Shareholders were dissapointed by this morning’s earnings release. Ciena Corporation develops and markets communications network platforms and software, and offers professional services. The Company’s broadband access, data and optical networking platforms, software tools, and global network services support worldwide telecom and cable/MSO services providers, and enterprise and government networks. Competitors to Watch: Tellabs, Inc. (NASDAQ:TLAB), Alcatel-Lucent (NYSE:ALU), Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO), ADTRAN, Inc. (NASDAQ:ADTN), Sycamore Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:SCMR), Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC), Orckit Communications Ltd (NASDAQ:ORCT), Juniper Networks, Inc. (NYSE:JNPR), Infinera Corp. (NASDAQ:INFN), and JDS Uniphase Corporation (NASDAQ:JDSU).
- Pharmasset, Inc. (NASDAQ:VRUS): Shares of Pharmasset, Inc. closed higher 10.38% to $119.54 per share today. Over 3.5 million shares traded hands. Very promising news came out of the company this morning for a hepatitis C treatment. Pharmasset, Inc. is a pharmaceutical company. The Company develops oral therapeutics for the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B (HBV), and hepatitis C (HCV).
- Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. (NASDAQ:ULTA): Shares of Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. closed higher 12.68% to $55.90 per share today. Over 3.94 million shares traded hands. Shareholders were very happy with the company’s morning earnings release. Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. sells cosmetics, fragrances, skin and hair care products, appliances, and accessories. The Company also offers hair salon services, manicures, pedicures, massages, and other beauty & spa treatments. Competitors to Watch: Sally Beauty Hldgs., Inc. (NYSE:SBH), Perfumania Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:PERF), Avon Products, Inc. (NYSE:AVP), Alberto-Culver Company (NYSE:ACV), Revlon, Inc. (NYSE:REV), Elizabeth Arden, Inc. (NASDAQ:RDEN), Inter Parfums, Inc. (NASDAQ:IPAR), Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE:NUS), The Procter & Gamble Co. (NYSE:PG), Parlux Fragrances, Inc. (NASDAQ:PARL), Physicians Formula Hldgs., Inc. (NASDAQ:FACE), Estee Lauder (NYSE:EL) and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ).
- Sunoco Inc. (NYSE:SUN): Shares of Sunoco Inc. closed down 1.29% to $40.45 per share today. Over 3.49 million shares traded hands. On a technical basis, the stock has pulled back to the 50-day moving average. Sunoco, Inc. is a petroleum refiner and marketer and chemicals manufacturer with interests in logistics and cokemaking. The Company’s petroleum products include fuels, lubricants, and petrochemicals. Sunoco’s operations are conducted principally in the eastern half of the United States while its coke making operations are in Virginia, Indiana, Ohio and Vitoria Brazil. Competitors to Watch: Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE:VLO), Western Refining, Inc. (NYSE:WNR), Alon USA Energy, Inc. (NYSE:ALJ), Holly Corporation (NYSE:HOC), Tesoro Corporation (NYSE:TSO), Delek US Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:DK), Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P (NASDAQ:CLMT), Murphy Oil Corporation (NYSE:MUR), CVR Energy, Inc. (NYSE:CVI), and Frontier Oil Corporation (NYSE:FTO).
- The Talbots, Inc. (NYSE:TLB): Shares of The Talbots, Inc. closed lower 3.8% to $2.53 per share today. Over 18 million shares have traded hands. Talbots is still in decline following a very weak outlook yesterday. The Talbots, Inc. is an international specialty retailer and direct marketer of women’s apparel, accessories, and shoes. The Company operates stores in the United States and Canada. Talbots also retails products over the Internet and through its catalog. Competitors to Watch: Coldwater Creek Inc. (NASDAQ:CWTR), Christopher & Banks Corp. (NYSE:CBK), New York & Company, Inc. (NYSE:NWY), Ann Inc (NYSE:ANN), Ascena Retail Group Inc (NASDAQ:ASNA), Charming Shoppes, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHRS), Limited Brands, Inc. (NYSE:LTD), Chico’s FAS, Inc. (NYSE:CHS), The Cato Corporation (NYSE:CATO), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP), Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN), and Destination Maternity Corp. (NASDAQ:DEST).
- Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:SOMX): Shares of Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. closed lower 1.3% to $2.27 per share today. 2.86 million shares traded hands. Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a specialty pharmaceutical company. The Company is focused on in-licensing, developing, and commercializing proprietary product candidates for the treatment of diseases and disorders in the fields of psychiatry and neurology.
- Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ:SIRI): Shares closed lower 5.58% to $2.03 per share. Over 125 millino shares traded hands. The stock closed at the 50-day moving price average. Now the Liberty Media spin-off has been approved, Sirius shares are receiving a post-deal jolt. SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. broadcasts its music, sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather channels in the United States for a subscription fee through its proprietary satellite radio systems: the SIRIUS system and the XM system. Competitors to Watch: Westwood One, Inc. (NASDAQ:WWON), Entercom Communications Corp. (NYSE:ETM), Cumulus Media Inc. (NASDAQ:CMLS), Emmis Communications Corp. (NASDAQ:EMMS), Radio One, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROIAK), CBS Corporation (NYSE:CBS), Disney (NYSE:DIS), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), Grupo Radio Centro SAB de CV (NYSE:RC), Salem Communications Corp (NASDAQ:SALM), Saga Communications, Inc. (AMEX:SGA)
- Nokia (NYSE:NOK): Shares closed lower 4.74% at $6.23 per share. Over 54 million shares traded hands. The stock hit a new 52-week low on continued pressure from Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone eating into market share. Nokia Corporation is a player in the mobile industry. The Company makes a range of mobile devices with services and software that enable people to experience music, navigation, video, television, imaging, games, business mobility and more. Nokia also provides equipment, solutions and services for communications networks.