9 Hot Stocks Attracting Major Trading Interest June 13th
The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) seesawing and now flat at 11,957, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is lower a fraction of a point at 1,270 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is lower 5 points to 2,638 on the 112th trading day of 2011, as these stocks hit our radar:
- V.F. Corporation (NYSE:VFC): Shares of V.F. Corporation are trading higher 10.6% to $101.37 per share today. Over 2.14 million shares have traded hands relative to the 914,000 daily average. The retail company announced it is buying Timberland Company (NYSE:TBL) for $2.2 billion. Shareholders are cheering on the product expansion of outdoor offerings. VF Corporation is an international apparel company. The Company owns a broad portfolio of brands in the jeanswear, outerwear, packs, footwear, sportswear and occupational apparel categories. VF Corp’s products are marketed to consumers shopping in specialty stores, upscale and traditional department stores, national chains and mass merchants. Competitors to Watch: Gap (NYSE:GPS), Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Target (NYSE:TGT), Urban Outfitters (NASDAQ:URBN), Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF), American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO), Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP), Saks (NYSE:SKS), Macy’s (NYSE:M), Dillard’s (NYSE:DDS), Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN), True Religion Apparel, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRLG), Cherokee Inc. (NASDAQ:CHKE), and The Warnaco Group, Inc. (NYSE:WRC).
- Gerber Scientific, Inc. (NYSE:GRB): Shares of Gerber Scientific, Inc. are trading higher 35.34% to $10.99 per share today. Over 21 million shares have traded hands relative to the 57,000 daily average. The company is being purchased by private equity firm Vector Capital group for $11 per share, a 35% premium on common shares. Gerber Scientific, Inc. is an international supplier of automated manufacturing systems. The Company’s computer-based systems, equipment, software, and aftermarket supplies are used by a variety of industries, including apparel, sign making, commercial printing, electronics, optical, aerospace, and automotive.
- Insmed Inc. (NASDAQ:INSM): Shares are higher 11.60% to $13.05 per share today, hitting another 52-week high. Over seven times the average daily trading volume have traded hands. The stock is up due to a boost from continued trials for one of its drugs. Insmed continues to remain a highly speculative takeover target in the healthcare sector. Insmed Incorporated is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of innovative inhaled pharmaceuticals for the site-specific treatment of serious lung diseases, and has a proprietary protein platform aimed at niche markets with unmet medical need. Insmed’s primary focus is on the development of inhaled antibiotic therapy delivered via proprietary advanced pulmonary liposome technology in areas of high unmet need in lung diseases. Competitors to Watch: Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE), Bristol Myers Squibb Co. (NYSE:BMY), Cephalon, Inc. (NASDAQ:CEPH), AVI BioPharma, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVII), Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK), Eli Lilly & Co. (NYSE:LLY), Amgen, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMGN), Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT), and Array BioPharma Inc. (NASDAQ:ARRY).
- The Timberland Company (NYSE:TBL): Shares of The Timberland Company are trading higher 42.65%to $42.77 per share today. Over 18 million shares have traded hands relative to the 863,00 daily average. The company is being acquired by V.F. Corporation (NYSE:VFC) for $2.2 billion. The Timberland Company designs, develops, engineers, markets, and distributes footwear, apparel, and accessories for men, women, and children. The Company’s products are sold through independent retailers, department stores, and athletic stores, as well as Timberland specialty stores and factory outlets. Timberland’s products are sold in the United States and internationally.
- Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL): Shares are higher 64 cents today to $326.54 per share. Over 6.7 million shares have traded hands. An Arizona based company iCloud Communications is suing Apple for the use and launch of their new iCloud product. Apple Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers and related personal computing and mobile communication devices along with a variety of related software, services, peripherals, and networking solutions. The Company sells its products worldwide through its online stores, its retail stores, its direct sales force, third-party wholesalers, and resellers. Competitors to Watch: Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG), Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ), Dell (NASDAQ:DELL), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Adobe (NASDAQ:ADBE), IBM (NYSE:IBM), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), Super Micro (NASDAQ:SMCI), Verizon (NYSE:VZ) and Research In Motion Limited (NASDAQ:RIMM).
- Transatlantic Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:TRH): Shares of Transatlantic Holdings, Inc. are trading higher over 10% today. Over 2.7 million shares have traded hands relative to 657,000 daily average. Barclays is saying the company may pursue rival offers to the $3.2 billion purchase offer of their shares. Transatlantic Holdings, Inc. is an international reinsurance organization. The Company’s subsidiaries provide reinsurance on a treaty and facultative basis around the world. Transatlantic structures traditional and non-traditional programs for a full range of property and casualty products, with an emphasis on specialty risks.
- Graham Packaging Company Inc (NYSE:GRM): Shares of Graham Packaging Company Inc are trading higher 18.4% today. Over 6.2 million shares have traded hands relative to the daily average of 560,000. Graham Packaging Co Inc., designs, manufactures, and sells customized blow molded plastic containers. The Company serves the branded food and beverage, household and personal care, and automotive lubricants markets through plants located throughout North America.
- Wendy’s Arby’s Group Inc. (NYSE:WEN): Shares of Wendy’s Arby’s Group Inc. are trading higher 2% to $4.61 per share today. Over 7.6 million shares have traded hands today. Roark Capital will buy the Arby’s stake for $430 million. Shareholders are happy with the split of companies. Wendy’s/Arby’s Group, Inc. is a holding company. Through its subsidiaries, the Company owns, operates, and franchises fast-food restaurants in the United States. Competitors to Watch: McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD), Good Times Restaurants Inc. (NASDAQ:GTIMD), Carrols Restaurant Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:TAST), Tim Hortons Inc. (NYSE:THI), Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE:YUM), Jack in the Box Inc. (NASDAQ:JACK), Panera Bread Company (NASDAQ:PNRA) and Nathan’s Famous, Inc. (NASDAQ:NATH).
- Ness Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:NSTC): Shares of Ness Technologies, Inc. are trading higher 14% to $7.62 per share today. Over 11 million shares have traded hands relative to the 100,000 daily average. Ness Technologies Inc. provides global information technology services. The company specializes in the fields of development, consulting, and integration of software solutions in a number of sectors including public and government, healthcare and pharmaceutical, financial services, and defense.
- Silgan Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ:SLGN): Shares of Silgan Holdings Inc. are trading lower 4.8% to $41.41 per share today. Silgan Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries manufacture consumer goods packaging products. The Company currently produces steel and aluminum containers for human and pet food, custom designed plastic containers for various markets, plastic closures and caps, thermoformed plastic tubs, and specialty packaging items. Silgan markets its products in North America.