A Half-Billion Dollar Portfolio Owns These Stocks Right Now
The British money management firm Brevan Howard has had an underperforming portfolio of US equities. Its US equity holdings were valued at $576,325,000 at December 31st, 2010, and as of today’s trading, are valued at $529,101,284, for an 8.19% decline. This is roughly nine points worse than the S&P 500′s (NYSE:SPY) admittedly woeful performance year-to-date.
Here is a table detailing their holdings and performance:
|Company Name||(Exchange:Ticker)||$ Value @ 12 31 10||Number of Shares||% Portfolio||Price @ 31 6 11||$Value @ 3 16 11||% ret.|
|Adobe Sys Inc||(NASDAQ:ADBE)||2,924,000||95,000||0.51%||32.24||3,062,800||4.75%|
|Anadarko Pete Corp||(NYSE:APC)||28,560,000||375,000||4.96%||74.94||28,102,500||-1.60%|
|Art Technology Group Inc||(NASDAQ:ARTG)||3,058,000||511,329||0.53%||6||3,067,974||0.33%|
|Atlas Energy Inc||(NASDAQ:ATLS)||8,794,000||200,000||1.53%||46.46||9,292,000||5.66%|
|Bank Of America Corporation||(NYSE:BAC)||6,670,000||500,000||1.16%||13.78||6,890,000||3.30%|
|Barrick Gold Corp||(NYSE:ABX)||10,471,000||196,900||1.82%||48.53||9,555,557||-8.74%|
|Blackstone Group L P||(NYSE:BX)||4,245,000||300,000||0.74%||16.09||4,827,000||13.71%|
|Brigham Exploration Co||(NASDAQ:BEXP)||9,534,000||350,000||1.65%||32.5||11,375,000||19.31%|
|Bucyrus Intl Inc New||(NASDAQ:BUCY)||11,175,000||125,000||1.94%||90.97||11,371,250||1.76%|
|Cisco Sys Inc||(NASDAQ:CSCO)||20,230,000||1,000,000||3.51%||17.16||17,160,000||-15.18%|
|Deere & Co||(NYSE:DE)||10,381,000||125,000||1.80%||87.61||10,951,250||5.49%|
|Emerson Elec Co||(NYSE:EMR)||16,865,000||295,000||2.93%||56.75||16,741,250||-0.73%|
|Exco Resources Inc||(NYSE:XCO)||2,428,000||125,000||0.42%||20.28||2,535,000||4.41%|
|General Electric Co||(NYSE:GE)||4,573,000||250,000||0.79%||19.14||4,785,000||4.64%|
|General Mtrs Co||(NYSE:GM)||24,350,000||450,000||4.23%||31.96||14,382,000||-40.94%|
|Goldcorp Inc New||(NYSE:GG)||8,047,000||175,000||1.40%||46.09||8,065,750||0.23%|
|Hecla Mng Co||(NYSE:HL)||2,308,000||205,000||0.40%||8.28||1,697,400||-26.46%|
|King Pharmaceuticals Inc||(NYSE:KG)||14,761,000||1,050,600||2.56%||0.17||178,602||-98.79%|
|Mead Johnson Nutrition Co||(NYSE:MJN)||2,801,000||45,000||0.49%||56.07||2,523,150||-9.92%|
|Merck & Co Inc||(NYSE:MRK)||7,208,000||200,000||1.25%||31.3||6,260,000||-13.15%|
|Micron Technology Inc||(NASDAQ:MU)||2,807,000||350,000||0.49%||10.15||3,552,500||26.56%|
|Newfield Expl Co||(NYSE:NFX)||3,966,000||55,000||0.69%||69.21||3,806,550||-4.02%|
|Newmont Mining Corp||(NYSE:NEM)||3,587,000||58,389||0.62%||50.71||2,960,906||-17.45%|
|Oil Svc Holdrs Tr||(NYSE:OIH)||4,919,000||35,000||0.85%||152.41||5,334,350||8.44%|
|Powershares Qqq Trust||(NASDAQ:QQQQ)||54,460,000||1,000,000||9.45%||54.5||54,500,000||0.07%|
|SPDR Select Sector Fund – Finance||(NYSE:XLF)||88,523,000||5,550,000||15.36%||15.97||88,633,500||0.12%|
|SPDR Select Sector Fund – Technology||(NYSE:XLK)||10,076,000||400,000||1.75%||24.83||9,932,000||-1.43%|
|Suncor Energy Inc New||(NYSE:SU)||13,555,000||354,000||2.35%||42.65||15,098,100||11.38%|
|United Technologies Corp||(NYSE:UTX)||35,660,000||453,000||6.19%||79||35,787,000||0.36%|
Interested in doing some research on this portfolio’s holdings? Following are brief company profiles for each holding, along with a link to our page for that particular company, where you can access fundamental and technical data, and read a stream of commentary on the company.
- Adobe Systems Inc (NASDAQ:ADBE): Adobe Systems Incorporated develops, markets, and supports computer software products and technologies. The Company’s products allow users to express and use information across all print and electronic media. Adobe offers a line of application software products, type products, and content for creating, distributing, and managing information.
- Alcon Inc (NYSE:ACL): Alcon, Inc., an eye care company, develops, manufactures, and markets pharmaceuticals, surgical equipment and devices, and contact lens care and other care products that treat conditions of the eye. Alcon sells its products throughout the world.
- Anadarko Petroleum Corp (NYSE:APC): Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is an independent oil and gas exploration and production company with international operations. In the United States, the Company operates in Texas and surrounding states, the Rocky Mountain region, Alaska, and the Gulf of Mexico. Internationally, Anadarko has exploration and/or production operations in Africa, Asia, South America, and the Caribbean.
- Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL): Apple Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers and related personal computing and mobile communication devices along with a variety of related software, services, peripherals, and networking solutions. The Company sells its products worldwide through its online stores, its retail stores, its direct sales force, third-party wholesalers, and resellers.
- Art Technology Group Inc (NASDAQ:ARTG): Art Technology Group, Inc. offers an integrated suite of Internet customer relationship management and electronic commerce software applications. The Company also offers related application development, integration, and support services. Art Technology’s Dynamo product suite includes a Web page generation engine and application server, and e-commerce management applications.
- Atlas Energy Inc (NASDAQ:ATLS): Atlas Energy, Inc. is an independent energy company that develops, produces, and transports natural gas and oil in the Appalachian Basin of the United States. The Company’s principal operations include well drilling, as well as gas and oil production. Atlas also provides well services and gas transportation.
- Bank Of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC): Bank of America Corporation accepts deposits and offers banking, investing, asset management, and other financial and risk-management products and services. The Company has a mortgage lending subsidiary, and an investment banking and securities brokerage subsidiary.
- Barrick Gold Corp (NYSE:ABX): Barrick Gold Corporation is an international gold company with operating mines and development projects in the United States, Canada, South America, Australia, and Africa.
- Blackstone Group L P (NYSE:BX): The Blackstone Group LP is a global alternative asset manager and provider of financial advisory services. The firm’s asset management businesses include the management of corporate private equity funds, real estate funds, mezzanine funds, proprietary hedge funds and closed-end mutual funds. Blackstone also provides M&A and reorganization advisory, as well as private placement services.
- Brigham Exploration Co (NASDAQ:BEXP): Brigham Exploration Company, an independent exploration and production company, applies 3-D seismic imaging and other technologies to explore and develop onshore domestic gas and oil resources. The Company’s exploration activities are concentrated primarily in the Anadarko Basin, the Gulf Coast, the Williston Basin, and the west Texas region of the United States.
- Bucyrus Intl Inc New (NASDAQ:BUCY): Bucyrus International, Inc. designs, manufactures and markets large excavation machinery used for surface mining. The Company also supplies replacement parts and machinery. Bucyrus’ principal products include large walking draglines, electric mining shovels and blast hole drills, which are used by customers who mine coal, iron ore, copper, phosphate, bauxite and other minerals.
- Cisco Sys Inc (NASDAQ:CSCO): Cisco Systems, Inc. supplies data networking products for the Internet. The Company’s Internet Protocol-based networking solutions are installed at corporations, public institutions and telecommunication companies worldwide. The Company’s solutions transport data, voice, and video within buildings, across campuses, and around the world.
- Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C): Citigroup, Inc. is a diversified financial services holding company that provides a broad range of financial services to consumer and corporate customers around the world. The Company’s services include investment banking, retail brokerage, corporate banking, and cash management products and services.
- Deere & Co (NYSE:DE): Deere & Company manufactures and distributes a range of agricultural, construction and forestry, and commercial and consumer equipment. The Company supplies replacement parts for its own products and for those of other manufacturers. Deere also provides product and parts financing services.
- Emerson Elec Co (NYSE:EMR): Emerson Electric Co. manufactures and markets electrical, electrochemical, and electronic products and systems. The Company produces a variety of products, including process control, industrial automation, electronics, appliance components, and electric motors. Emerson sells its products around the world.
- Exco Resources Inc (NYSE:XCO): EXCO Resources, Inc. explores for oil and natural gas. The Company operates in onshore locations in the United States.
- General Electric Co (NYSE:GE): General Electric Company is a diversified technology, media and financial services company. The Company offers products and services ranging from aircraft engines, power generation, and water processing technology to medical imaging, business and consumer financing, media content and industrial products. General Electric conducts operations globally.
- General Mtrs Co (NYSE:GM): General Motors Co. manufactures and markets new cars and trucks. The Company offers features for special needs drivers, OnStar vehicle protection, service, parts, accessories, maintenance, XM satellite radio, features for commercial owners, and more. General Motors offers its vehicles and services worldwide.
- Genzyme Corp (NASDAQ:GENZ): Genzyme Corporation is a global biotechnology company that develops products for people with serious diseases. The Company focuses on developing therapeutics for rare disorders, renal diseases, orthopaedics, cancer, transplant and immune disease, and diagnostic and predictive testing. Genzyme also provides diagnostic products and services.
- Goldcorp Inc New (NYSE:GG): Goldcorp, Inc. is a North American gold producer. The Company has gold mining operations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, and Australia. Goldcorp owns the Red Lake mine in Ontario.
- Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG): Google Inc. is a global technology company that provides a web based search engine through its website. The Company offers a wide range of search options, including web, image, groups, directory, and news searches.
- Hecla Mng Co (NYSE:HL): Hecla Mining Company explores, develops, and mines precious metals, gold and silver. The Company has operations in the United States and Mexico.
- Intel Corp (NASDAQ:INTC): Intel Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells computer components and related products. The Company’s major products include microprocessors, chipsets, embedded processors and microcontrollers, flash memory products, graphics products, network and communications products, systems management software, conferencing products, and digital imaging products.
- King Pharmaceuticals Inc (NYSE:KG): King Pharmaceuticals, Inc. manufactures, markets, and sells primarily branded prescription pharmaceutical products. The Company markets its products to general/family practitioners and internal medicine physicians and hospitals across the United States. King also provides contract manufacturing for a number of pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- Mead Johnson Nutrition Co (NYSE:MJN): Mead Johnson Nutrition Company manufactures nutritional products for infants, children, and expectant and nursing mothers. The Company markets its products in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia.
- Merck & Co Inc (NYSE:MRK): Merck & Co., Inc. is a global pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets a broad range of human and animal health products. Merck’s products include a treatment for elevated cholesterol, a treatment for male pattern hair loss, a preventive treatment for osteoporosis, a treatment for hypertension, and a treatment for allergic rhinitis.
- Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ:MU): Micron Technology, Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and markets dynamic random access memory chips (DRAMs), very fast static random access memory chips (SRAMs), Flash Memory, other semiconductor components, and memory modules.
- Microsoft Corp (NASDAQ:MSFT): Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses, sells, and supports software products. The Company offers operating system software, server application software, business and consumer applications software, software development tools, and Internet and intranet software. Microsoft also develops video game consoles and digital music entertainment devices.
- Newfield Expl Co (NYSE:NFX): Newfield Exploration Company is an independent oil and gas company which explores, develops, and acquires oil and natural gas properties. The Company operates in the Gulf of Mexico, in the onshore United States Gulf Coast, within the North Sea, within Malaysia, and in the Bohai Bay in China.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NYSE:NEM): Newmont Mining Corporation acquires, explores, and develops mineral properties. The Company produces gold from operations in the United States, Australia, Peru, Indonesia, Ghana, Canada, New Zealand and Mexico. Newmont also mines and processes copper in Indonesia.
- Oil Svc Holdrs Tr (NYSE:OIH): Oil Services HOLDRS Trust issues depository receipts called Oil Service HOLDRs. The Trust will hold shares of common stock issued by companies that, among other things, provide drilling, well-site management and related products and services for the oil service industry. These companies are among the 20 largest and most liquid with US-traded securities involved in the oil service industry.
- Oracle Corp (NASDAQ:ORCL): Oracle Corporation supplies software for enterprise information management. The Company offers databases and relational servers, application development and decision support tools, and enterprise business applications. Oracle’s software runs on network computers, personal digital assistants, set-top devices, PCs, workstations, minicomputers, mainframes, and massively parallel computers.
- Powershares QQQ Trust (NASDAQ:QQQQ): PowerShares QQQ is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund represents undivided ownership interests in the PowerShares QQQ. The Fund’s objective is to provide investment result that generally correspond to the price and yield performance of the component securities of the Nasdaq 100 Index.
- SPDR Select Sector Fund – Finance (NYSE:XLF): Financial Select SPDR Fund is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective is to provide investment results that, before expenses, correspond to the performance of the Financial Select Sector. The Index includes financial services firms whose businesses range from investment management to commercial and business banking.
- SPDR Select Sector Fund – Technology (NYSE:XLK): Technology Select Sector SPDR Fund is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective is to provide investment results that correspond to the performance of The Technology Select Sector Index. The Index includes products developed by defense manufacturers, microcomputer components, telecom equipment and integrated computer circuits.
- Suncor Energy Inc New (NYSE:SU): Suncor Energy, Inc. is an integrated energy company focused on developing the Athabasca oil sands basin. The Company extracts and upgrades oil sands into refinery feedstock and diesel fuel, explores for, develops and produces natural gas, refines crude oil and markets a range of petroleum and petrochemical products, and operates crude oil pipelines and retail petroleum stations.
- Transocean Ltd (NYSE:RIG): Transocean Ltd. is an offshore drilling contractor. The Company owns or operates mobile offshore drilling units, inland drilling barges, and other assets utilized in the support of offshore drilling activities worldwide. Transocean specializes in technically demanding segments of the offshore drilling business, including deepwater and harsh environment drilling services.
- United Technologies Corp (NYSE:UTX): United Technologies Corporation provides technology products to customers in the aerospace and building industries worldwide. The Company’s products include aircraft engines, elevators and escalators, heating and air conditioning equipment, helicopters, aerospace systems, fuel cell systems, and fire and safety equipment.
- Yahoo Inc (NASDAQ:YHOO): Yahoo! Inc. is a global Internet media company that offers an online guide to Web navigation, aggregated information content, communication services, and commerce. The Company’s site includes a hierarchical, subject-based directory of Web sites, which enables users to locate and access information and services through hypertext links included in the directory.