Analyzing Today’s 5 Big Stock Winners
Five companies with market capitalizations between $1 billion and $5 billion made Google Finance’s (NASDAQ:GOOG) list of top gainers for the day. Following is a closer look at these five companies:
- AMERCO (NASDAQ:UHAL): The stock is trading up $8.06, or 9.34%, to $94.39. Its 52-week range is $44.44 to $109.11. Its market capitalization is $1.85 billion and it earned $7.86 per share last year. Competitors include Avis Budget Group Inc. (NYSE:CAR), Zipcar, Inc. (NASDAQ:ZIP), Ryder System (NYSE:R), and Hertz Global Holdings (NYSE:HTZ). About the company: AMERCO is the holding company for U-HAUL International, Inc., Amerco Real Estate Company, Republic Western Insurance Company, and Oxford Life Insurance Company. The Company, through its subsidiaries, offers rental of trucks, trailers, and self storage space, as well as property and casualty insurance and life insurance products.
- Tempur-Pedic International Inc. (NYSE:TPX): The stock is trading up $4.15, or 7.52%, to $59.35, and has traded in a 52-week range of $25.56 to $66.33. Its market capitalization is $4.06 billion and it earned $2.43 per share last year. Competitors include Sealy Corporation (NYSE:ZZ) and Leggett & Platt Inc. (NYSE:LEG). About the company: Tempur-Pedic International, Inc. through its primary subsidiary Tempur World, manufactures and markets foam mattresses, pillows, and miscellaneous products under the Tempur-Pedic and other brand names.
- Ormat Technologies, Inc. (NYSE:ORA): The stock is trading up $1.42, or 6.78%, to $22.37, and has traded in a 52-week range of $20.54 to $31.23. The market capitalization is $1.02 billion and it earned $0.57 per share last year. Competitors include: NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE:NRG), Calpine Corporation (NYSE:CPN), NV Energy Inc. (NYSE:NVE), The AES Corporation, and Covanta Holding Corp. (NYSE:CVA). About the company: Ormat Technologies Inc. designs, develops, builds, owns and operates geothermal power plants. The Company also designs, develops, and seeks to own and operate, recovered energy-based power plants using equipment that it designs and manufactures.
- Intrepid Potash, Inc. (NYSE:IPI): The shares are trading up $1.81, or 6.25%, to $30.76 and have traded in a 52-week range of $19.08 to $40.22. Its market capitalization is $2.31 billion and it earned $0.82 per share last year. Competitors include: The Mosaic Company (NYSE:MOS), Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan (NYSE:POT), Agrium USA (NYSE:AGU), and Compass Minerals International (NYSE:CMP). About the company: Intrepid Potash, Inc. mines and markets potash for use as a fertilizer. The Company also market langebeinite.
- Gammon Gold, Inc. (NYSE:GRS): The shares are trading up $0.5, or 5.57%, to $9.47 and have traded in a 52-week range of $5.09 to $11.20. Its market capitalization is $1.63 billion and it lost $0.99 per share last year. Competitors include Endeavour Silver Corp. (AMEX:EXK), Minefinders Corp. Limited (MFN, and Goldcorp. Inc. (GG). About the company: Gammon Gold, Inc. explores for gold and silver in Mexico.