Stocks are mostly higher today. Following is a summary of some of the big news items moving stocks today.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSE:DIA) is up a 100 points today.
- The S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is up 14 points, to around 1,250.
- The Nasdaq is up 60 points to around 2,700.
- Caterpillar (NYSE:CAT) shares are up today after the company increased its earnings by 44% and posted record revenue. The shares recently traded at $92.40, up $4.99, or 5.71%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $67.54 to $116.55 and its market capitalization is $59.69 billion. About the company: Caterpillar, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets construction, mining, agricultural, and forestry machinery. The Company also manufactures engines and other related parts for its equipment, and offers financing and insurance. Caterpillar distributes its products through a worldwide organization of dealers.
- Kimberly Clark (NYSE:KMB) shares are down on news that the company expects its full year revenues to be less than expected. The shares recently traded at $69.33, down $3.67, or 5.03%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $61 to $73.23 and its market capitalization is $27.16 billion. Its competitors Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG) and Colgate-Palmolive (NYSE:CL) also fell. About the company: Kimberly-Clark Corporation is a global health and hygiene company that manufactures and provides consumer products. The Company’s products include diapers, tissues, paper towels, incontinence care products, surgical gowns, and disposable face masks. Kimberly-Clark’s products are sold in countries around the world.
- VF Corp (NYSE:VFC), which manufactures clothes under the brands Nautica and North Face, rose after the company raised its 2011 outlook. The shares recently traded at $137.75, up $5.07, or 3.81%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $78.21 to $139.64 and its market capitalization is $15.11 billion. About the company: VF Corporation is an international apparel company. The Company owns a broad portfolio of brands in the jeanswear, outerwear, packs, footwear, sportswear and occupational apparel categories. VF Corp’s products are marketed to consumers shopping in specialty stores, upscale and traditional department stores, national chains and mass merchants.
- Texas Instruments (NYSE:TXN) is due to report earnings after the market close. The shares recently traded at $31.48, up $1.02, or 3.35%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $24.34 to $36.71 and its market capitalization is $36.37 billion. The shares are trading higher on speculation that the company will deliver strong earnings. About the company: Texas Instruments, Inc. is a global semiconductor company that designs and supplies analog technologies, digital signal processing and microcontroller semiconductors. The Company also operates materials and controls, and educational and productivity solutions businesses. Texas Instruments has manufacturing or sales operations in countries around the world.
- Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) shares are also trading higher. The shares recently traded at $58.67, up $0.08, or 0.15%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $47.66 to $61.53 and its market capitalization is $54.22 billion. Their earnings are also due to be released after the market close. About the company: Amgen, Inc. discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets human therapeutics based on cellular and molecular biology. The Company focuses its research on secreted protein and small molecule therapeutics, with particular emphasis on neuroscience and cancer. Amgen concentrates on the areas of hematology, cancer, infection disease, endocrinology, neurobiology, and inflammation.
- Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) shares are down on concerns that customer defections will harm its results for the third quarter. The shares recently traded at $116.30, down $0.74, or 0.63%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $103.13 to $304.79 and its market capitalization is $6.11 billion. It, too, will release earnings after the market close. Netflix also reported today that it plans to expand its operations to the UK and Ireland in 2012. About the company: Netflix, Inc. is an online movie rental service. The Company ships DVDs with no due dates or late fees, directly to the subscriber’s address. Netflix also provides background information on DVD releases, including critic reviews, member reviews and ratings, and personalized movie recommendations.
- Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL) is trading higher on news that it will acquire RightNow Technologies (NASDAQ:RNOW) for $1.5 billion. The shares recently traded at $32.64, up $0.52, or 1.62%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $24.72 to $36.50 and its market capitalization is $164.66 billion. About the company: Oracle Corporation supplies software for enterprise information management. The Company offers databases and relational servers, application development and decision support tools, and enterprise business applications. Oracle’s software runs on network computers, personal digital assistants, set-top devices, PCs, workstations, minicomputers, mainframes, and massively parallel computers.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>