Capital Goods Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Gainers (% price change)
- Actuant Corporation (NYSE:ATU): The shares closed at $19.94, up $0.56, or 2.89%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.37 billion. About the company: Actuant Corporation manufactures and markets a broad range of industrial products and systems. The Company sells branded, specialized electrical and industrial tools to hydraulic and electrical wholesale distributors, to catalog houses, and through retail distribution channels. Actuant also designs and markets customized motion control systems for original equipment manufacturers.
- Layne Christensen Company (NASDAQ:LAYN): The shares closed at $23.19, up $0.44, or 1.93%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $455.26 million. About the company: Layne Christensen Company provides water well drilling, mineral exploration drilling, geotechnical construction, oil and gas services, and related products and services. The company’s customers include municipalities, industrial, oil, gas, and mining companies, and consulting and engineering firms located in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Africa, and South America.
- Met-Pro Corporation (NYSE:MPR): The shares closed at $8.89, up $0.13, or 1.48%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $130.32 million. About the company: Met-Pro Corporation manufactures and sells product recovery and pollution control equipment for purification of air and liquids. The Company also manufactures fluid handling equipment for corrosive, abrasive, and high temperature liquids. Met-Pro sells its products around the world.
- Hitachi, Ltd. (NYSE:HIT): The shares closed at $50.16, up $0.46, or 0.93%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $22.66 billion. About the company: Hitachi, Ltd. manufactures communications and electronic equipment, heavy electrical and industrial machinery, and consumer electronics. The Company’s diverse product line ranges from nuclear power systems to kitchen appliances. Hitachi also operates subsidiaries in the wire and cable, metal, and chemical industries.
- Elbit Systems Ltd. (NASDAQ:ESLT): The shares closed at $40.68, up $0.28, or 0.69%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.74 billion. About the company: Elbit Systems Ltd. designs, develops and supplies integrated defense systems. The Company also designs, develops, manufactures, markets and supports military electronic systems and products.
Losers (% price change)
- Ampco-Pittsburgh Corp. (NYSE:AP): The shares closed at $19.89, down $2.03, or 9.26%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $205.38 million. About the company: Ampco-Pittsburgh Corporation manufactures engineered equipment. The Company produces finned tube heat exchange coils, large standard and custom air handling systems, centrifugal pumps, feed screws, hardened steel rolls, and heat transfer rolls. Ampco’s products are used in the construction, power generation, refrigeration, chemical processing, marine defense, and steel industries.
- Northwest Pipe Company (NASDAQ:NWPX): The shares closed at $20.85, down $1.94, or 8.51%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $194.84 million. About the company: Northwest Pipe Company manufactures and markets welded steel pipe. The Company makes large diameter, high pressure steel pipe products used for water transmission. Northwest Pipe also makes smaller diameter, electric resistance welded pipe for a wide range of construction, energy, agricultural, industrial, and mechanical applications.
- PMFG Inc (NASDAQ:PMFG): The shares closed at $15.41, down $1.37, or 8.16%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $272.40 million. About the company: PMFG Inc. is a provider of custom engineered systems and products designed to help ensure that the delivery of energy is safe, efficient and clean. The Company primarily serves the markets for power generation, natural gas infrastructure and petrochemical processing.
- M/I Homes, Inc. (NYSE:MHO): The shares closed at $6.06, down $0.52, or 7.9%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $113.40 million. About the company: M/I Homes, Inc. builds single-family homes that are marketed and sold under the M/I Homes and Showcase Homes trade names. M/I Homes has homebuilding operations in Ohio, Indiana, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland.
- AGCO Corporation (NYSE:AGCO): The shares closed at $15.90, down $1.34, or 7.77%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.47 billion. About the company: AGCO Corporation manufactures and distributes agricultural equipment throughout the world. The Company sells a range of agricultural equipment and related replacement parts, including tractors, combines, hay tools, sprayers, and forage equipment. AGCO markets its products under a variety of brand names, including Massey Ferguson, AGCO, Tye, GLEANER, and Hesston.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>