Capital Goods Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Gainers (% price change)
- AGCO Corporation (NYSE:AGCO): The shares closed at $15.63, up $1.46, or 10.3%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.44 billion. About the company: AGCO Corporation manufactures and distributes agricultural equipment throughout the world. The Company sells a range of agricultural equipment and related replacement parts, including tractors, combines, hay tools, sprayers, and forage equipment. AGCO markets its products under a variety of brand names, including Massey Ferguson, AGCO, Tye, GLEANER, and Hesston.
- HEICO Corporation (NYSE:HEI): The shares closed at $52.62, up $4.36, or 9.03%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.20 billion. About the company: HEICO Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells aerospace products and services through its subsidiaries. The Company’s customers include airlines and airmotive, as well as defense contractors and military agencies worldwide, including the United States Air Force, the United States Navy, and the National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA).
- KB Home (NYSE:KBH): The shares closed at $6.08, up $0.5, or 8.96%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $468.19 million. About the company: KB HOME builds single-family homes in the United States, primarily targeting first-time and first move-up homebuyers. The Company has operating divisions in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, Wisconsin, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas in the United States. KB Home also derives income from mortgage banking, title and insurance services.
- Manitowoc Company, Inc. (NYSE:MTW): The shares closed at $7.14, up $0.56, or 8.51%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $941.78 million. About the company: The Manitowoc Company, Inc. is a diversified industrial manufacturer of cranes and related products and foodservice equipment. The Company’s products include lattice-boom cranes, tower cranes, mobile telescopic cranes, and boom trucks as well as ice making machines, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Preformed Line Products (NASDAQ:PLPC): The shares closed at $46.43, up $3.47, or 8.08%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $244.14 million. About the company: Preformed Line Products Company designs and manufactures systems used in the construction and maintenance of networks for the energy, communications, cable provider, and information industries. The Company’s products support, protect, connect, terminate, and secure cables and wires. Preformed Line Products also manufactures products serving the voice and data transmission markets.
Losers (% price change)
- Lufkin Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ:LUFK): The shares closed at $47.52, down $4.58, or 8.79%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.45 billion. About the company: Lufkin Industries, Inc. designs, manufactures, sells, and services oil field pumping units, power transmission products, and foundry castings. The Company sells its products around the world.
- PMFG Inc (NASDAQ:PMFG): The shares closed at $16.43, down $1.09, or 6.22%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $290.43 million. About the company: PMFG Inc. is a provider of custom engineered systems and products designed to help ensure that the delivery of energy is safe, efficient and clean. The Company primarily serves the markets for power generation, natural gas infrastructure and petrochemical processing.
- Kadant Inc. (NYSE:KAI): The shares closed at $17.95, down $0.91, or 4.83%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $221.63 million. About the company: Kadant Inc. is a supplier of equipment used in the global papermaking and paper recycling industries. The Company’s products include paper machine accessories, fluid handling, and water management. Kadant’s fluid-handling products are used to optimize production in the steel, rubber, plastics, food, and textile industries. The Company also manufactures granules made from papermaking byproducts.
- Sterling Construction Co (NASDAQ:STRL): The shares closed at $10.42, down $0.52, or 4.75%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $171.38 million. About the company: Sterling Construction Company, Inc. conducts operations in construction and distribution. The Company specializes in municipal and state contracts for highway paving, bridge, water and sewer and light rail projects. Sterling also distributes automotive accessories, non-food pet supplies, and lawn and garden products.
- Insteel Industries Inc (NASDAQ:IIIN): The shares closed at $10.01, down $0.42, or 4.03%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $176.33 million. About the company: Insteel Industries, Inc. manufactures and markets wire products. The Company’s products include concrete reinforcing products, tire bead wire, and industrial wire for a range of construction and industrial applications. Insteel’s products are sold directly to users and through wholesalers and distributors located in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>