Following is information on companies whose earnings beat expectations in the third quarter of 2011.
- Gibraltar Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROCK): The company reported earnings per share of $0.26 against expectations of $0.24 for a surprise of 8.33%. About the company: Gibraltar Industries Inc is a manufacturer, processor, and distributor of metals and other engineered materials for the building products, vehicular, and other industrial markets. The Company serves customers in a variety of industries in North and South America, Europe, and Asia.
- Gladstone Investment Corporation (NASDAQ:GAIN): The company reported earnings per share of $0.15 against expectations of $0.13 for a surprise of 15.38%. About the company: Gladstone Investment Corporation is a closed-end, non-diversified management investment company. The Company invests primarily in subordinated loans, mezzanine debt, preferred stock and warrants to purchase common stock of small and mid-sized companies in connection with acquisitions, changes in control, and recapitalizations. Gladstone also invests in senior secured loans and equities.
- Granite Construction Incorporation (NYSE:GVA): The company reported earnings per share of $0.93 against expectations of $0.71 for a surprise of 30.99%. About the company: Granite Construction Incorporated is a heavy civil construction and transportation contractor serving both public and private sector clients. The Company concentrates on infrastructure projects including the construction of roads, bridges, dams, tunnels, mass transit facilities, and airports. Granite also performs site preparation services for the private sector.
- Great Wolf Resorts, Inc. (NASDAQ:WOLF): The company reported earnings per share of $0.05 against expectations of $0.00 for a surprise of N/A. About the company: Great Wolf Resorts, Inc. owns and operates full-service resorts. The Company’s resorts are family-oriented providing suites, waterparks, arcades, and full-service spas.
- Gulfport Energy Corporation (NASDAQ:GPOR): The company reported earnings per share of $0.57 against expectations of $0.52 for a surprise of 9.62%. About the company: Gulfport Energy Corporation owns and operates oil and gas properties in the Louisiana Gulf Coast area of the United States.
- HHGregg, Inc. (NYSE:HGG): The company reported earnings per share of $0.16 against expectations of $0.06 for a surprise of 166.67%. About the company: hhgregg, Inc. retails video products, brand name appliances, audio products and accessories.
- HSN, Inc. (NASDAQ:HSNI): The company reported earnings per share of $0.40 against expectations of $0.32 for a surprise of 25.00%. About the company: HSN, Inc. is a holding company. The Company, through its subsidiaries, owns, operates, and retails computers and electronics, fashion items, home and kitchen goods, jewelry, and health, beauty, and fitness products through its shows, which are broadcast via cable, satellite, and network television.
- Hanesbrands Inc. (NYSE:HBI): The company reported earnings per share of $0.91 against expectations of $0.82 for a surprise of 10.98%. About the company: Hanesbrands, Inc. manufactures men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing. The Company produces underwear, T-shirts, socks, sweatshirts, sleepwear, and shoes.
- Hanover Insurance Group Inc (NYSE:THG): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.41) against expectations of ($0.45) for a surprise of 8.89%. About the company: Hanover Insurance Group Inc offers property and casualty insurance products including personal lines, commercial lines and other property casualty through independent agents.
- Health Net Inc. (NYSE:HNT): The company reported earnings per share of $0.85 against expectations of $0.83 for a surprise of 2.41%. About the company: Health Net Inc. offers managed health care benefits and products. The Company provides group, individual, Medicare risk, Medicaid, and TRICARE programs. Health Net also offers managed health care products related to behavioral health, dental, vision, and prescription drugs, as well as offers managed health care product coordination and administrative services.
(Note: Earnings data are sourced from Yahoo! Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls