Company Shares Seeing Significant Volume March 30th
The first quarter of 2011 is on pace to be its best S&P rally performance since 1998. The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is steadily higher at 12,370, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is increasing to 1329 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQQ) is moving up at 2,775 on the 61st trading day of 2011, and here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
1) AT&T (NYSE:T): Shares are trading up over 2% to $30.76 per share today. Over 38 million shares have traded hands. The CEO announced their will be beneficial divestitures from the merger with T-Mobile. AT&T Inc. is a communications holding company. The Company, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, provides local and long-distance phone service, wireless and data communications, Internet access and messaging, IP-based and satellite television, security services, telecommunications equipment, and directory advertising and publishing. A Further Look at AT&T And Its Planned Acquisition>>
2) Cephalon (NASDAQ:CEPH): Shares are up 28% to $75.25 per share today. Over 36 million shares have traded hands. The company is undergoing a hostile offer price of $73 a share from Valeant Pharmaceuticals (NYSE:VRX). Cephalon, Inc. is an international biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and markets biopharmaceutical products to treat neurological disorders, pain, and cancer. The Company’s products include a product that treats excessive daytime sleepiness associated with narcolepsy.
3) General Electric (NYSE:GE): Shares are up 2% to $20.24 per share today. Over 30 million shares have traded hands. Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA) announced it sold 10 of its big 777s to the airplane leasing arm of GE. General Electric Company is a diversified technology, media and financial services company. The Company offers products and services ranging from aircraft engines, power generation, and water processing technology to medical imaging, business and consumer financing, media content and industrial products. General Electric conducts operations globally. General Electric: A Deep Analysis of Company Strategy>>
4) Sprint (NYSE:S): Shares are down 1.5% to $4.56 per share today. Over 31 million shares have traded hands. Shareholders still appear fearful of the AT&T-T-Mobile merger and what type of competition that will bring to Sprint over the intermediate term. Sprint Nextel Corporation offers a range of wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, and government customers. The Company develops, engineers, and deploys various technologies, including two wireless networks offering mobile data services, instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities, and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone.
5) Japan (NYSE:EWJ): Shares are up over 1.5% to $10.48 per share. The fear levels are still at an extraordinary level after warnings are evident of contaminated marine life in surrounding coastal areas. iShares MSCI Japan Index Fund is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective seeks to provide investment results that correspond to the performance of the Japanese market, as measured by the MSCI Japan Index. The Fund invests in a representative sample of index stocks using a “portfolio sampling” technique. Will Japan’s Nuclear Fallout Shift Future Focus of Energy Companies?>>
6) AMR Corp (NYSE:AMR): Shares are up over 4.5% to $6.88 per share. Over 28 million shares have traded hands. The airline is investigating an offer of $9.75 per share from a company called Sterling Global Holdings. AMR Corporation operates an airline that provides scheduled passenger, freight, and mail service throughout North America, the Caribbean, Latin America, Europe, and the Pacific. The Company also provides connecting service throughout the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean. In addition, AMR provides aviation services, call center management services, and investment advisory services.
7) NVIDIA Corp (NASDAQ:NVDA): Shares are down over 4.5% to $18.32 per share. Over 24.5 million share traded hands. ThinkEquity analyst Krishna Shankar warned the company is likely to be negatively affected by slowing consumer PC demand. NVIDIA Corporation designs, develops, and markets three dimensional (3D) graphics processors and related software. The Company’s products provide interactive 3D graphics to the mainstream personal computer market.
8) Insmed Incorporated (NASDAQ:INSMD): Shares are up over 3 % to $6.60 per shares. Investors continue to believe in the future for FDA clearanced Phase 3 trial for ARIKACE™ in nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) lung infections. Is Merck still hawking INSMD as a potential acquisition target, or are other healthcare companies catching wind of this small cap success story? Insmed, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company. The Company develops and commercializes drugs that treat metabolic diseases, endocrine disorders and oncology. Insmed offers products for the treatment of Type 1 and 2 diabetes, polycystic ovary syndrome, and osteoporotic hip fracture.
9) BlackRock Inc (NYSE:BLK): Shares are up 7% to $199.65 per share today. Over 3.75 million shares have traded hands. BLK is the latest addition to the S&P 500. The company shall see more investor interest from institutions and mutual funds due to the addition. BlackRock, Inc. provides diversified investment management services to institutional clients and to retail investors through various investment vehicles. The Company offers the BlackRock Funds and Blackrock Liquidity Funds, and also provides risk management services to fixed income institutional investors.
10) Acxiom Corp. (NASDAQ:ACXM): Shares are down over 21% to $13.70 per share. Over 8 million shares have traded hands. President and CEO, John Meyer, has resigned and that its CFO, Christopher Wolf, plans to step down. The CEO gave no reason for his departure. Cautions flags are waving high on this company today. Acxiom Corporation provides information management solutions using customer, consumer, and business data. The Company offers database marketing services, data integration and delivery technologies, and data content. Acxiom conducts operations throughout the United States and in the United Kingdom, France, Spain, and Australia.