Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT): The shares closed at $18.69, up $0.7, or 3.89%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.18 billion. About the company: Textron Inc. is a global, multi-industry company with operations in aircraft, defense, industrial products, and finance. The Company’s products include airplanes, helicopters, weapons, and automotive products. Textron’s finance division offers asset based lending, aviation, distribution, golf, and resort finance, as well as structured capital.
- ABB Ltd (NYSE:ABB): The shares closed at $17.62, up $0.52, or 3.04%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $40.35 billion. About the company: ABB Limited provides power and automation technologies. The Company operates under segments that include power products, power systems, automation products, process automation and robotics.
- Siemens AG (NYSE:SI): The shares closed at $93.75, up $2.68, or 2.94%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $81.94 billion. About the company: Siemens AG manufactures a wide range of industrial and consumer products. The Company builds locomotives, traffic control systems, automotive electronics, and engineers electrical power plants. Siemens also provides public and private communications networks, computers, building control systems, medical equipment, and electrical components. The Company operates worldwide.
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $18.48, up $0.45, or 2.5%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $17.97 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
- United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX): The shares closed at $73.15, up $1.6, or 2.24%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $66.47 billion. About the company: United Technologies Corporation provides technology products and support services to customers in the aerospace and building industries worldwide. The Company’s products include aircraft engines, elevators and escalators, heating and air conditioning equipment, helicopters, aerospace systems, fuel cell systems, and fire and safety equipment.
Losers (% price change)
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $286.99, down $5.01, or 1.72%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.54 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
- Tyco International Ltd. (NYSE:TYC): The shares closed at $42.57, down $0.39, or 0.91%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $19.77 billion. About the company: Tyco International Ltd. provides security products and services, fire protection and detection products and services, valves and controls, and other industrial products.
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $23.76, down $0.02, or 0.08%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.81 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- Temple-Inland, Inc. (NYSE:TIN): The shares closed at $31.37, down $0.02, or 0.06%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $3.41 billion. About the company: Temple-Inland Inc. manufactures paper, corrugated packaging, and building products. Temple-Inland’s products include linerboard, lumber, particleboard, and fiberboard.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>