Conglomerates Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $288.50, up $0.51, or 0.18%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.56 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
Losers (% price change)
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $17.94, down $1.15, or 6.02%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $17.45 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
- Emerson Electric Co. (NYSE:EMR): The shares closed at $41.31, down $2.48, or 5.66%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $30.76 billion. About the company: Emerson Electric Co. manufactures and markets electrical, electromechanical, and electronic products and systems. The Company produces a variety of products, including process control, industrial automation, electronics, appliance components, and electric motors. Emerson sells its products around the world.
- Siemens AG (NYSE:SI): The shares closed at $89.79, down $4.78, or 5.05%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $78.48 billion. About the company: Siemens AG manufactures a wide range of industrial and consumer products. The Company builds locomotives, traffic control systems, automotive electronics, and engineers electrical power plants. Siemens also provides public and private communications networks, computers, building control systems, medical equipment, and electrical components. The Company operates worldwide.
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $22.68, down $1.2, or 5.03%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.55 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- Fortune Brands, Inc. (NYSE:FO): The shares closed at $54.08, down $2.81, or 4.94%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.35 billion. About the company: Fortune Brands, Inc. is a holding company with operating companies that offers home and hardware products, produces wines and spirits, and offers golf products.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>