Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $23.16, up $0.83, or 3.72%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.66 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- Dover Corporation (NYSE:DOV): The shares closed at $49.00, up $1.52, or 3.2%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $9.12 billion. About the company: Dover Corporation manufactures a variety of specialized industrial products and manufacturing equipment. The Company’s products include Material handling equipment, refuse truck bodies, tank trailers, refrigeration systems, refrigeration display cases, marking and coding systems,sucker rods, drill bit inserts, nozzles, swivels and breakaways, and electronic technology equipment.
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $17.77, up $0.55, or 3.19%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $17.28 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
- Siemens AG (NYSE:SI): The shares closed at $92.49, up $2.7, or 3.01%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $80.84 billion. About the company: Siemens AG manufactures a wide range of industrial and consumer products. The Company builds locomotives, traffic control systems, automotive electronics, and engineers electrical power plants. Siemens also provides public and private communications networks, computers, building control systems, medical equipment, and electrical components. The Company operates worldwide.
- Olin Corporation (NYSE:OLN): The shares closed at $18.51, up $0.52, or 2.89%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.48 billion. About the company: Olin Corporation manufactures chemicals and ammunition products. The Company manufactures and sells chlorine, caustic soda, sodium hydrosulfite, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen, sodium chlorate, bleach products, and potassium hydroxide. Olin also manufactures products that include sporting ammunition, reloading components, small caliber military ammunition and industrial cartridges.
Losers (% price change)
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $286.03, down $2.46, or 0.85%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.53 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
- Raytheon Company (NYSE:RTN): The shares closed at $39.97, down $0.18, or 0.45%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $14.13 billion. About the company: Raytheon Company operates in defense, homeland security and other government markets. The Company provides electronics, mission systems integration in the areas of sensing, effects, command, control, communications and intelligence systems, and mission support services. Raytheon provides products and services worldwide.
- Temple-Inland, Inc. (NYSE:TIN): The shares closed at $31.29, down $0.1, or 0.32%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $3.40 billion. About the company: Temple-Inland Inc. manufactures paper, corrugated packaging, and building products. Temple-Inland’s products include linerboard, lumber, particleboard, and fiberboard.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>