Conglomerates Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Raytheon Company (NYSE:RTN): The shares closed at $41.00, up $0.53, or 1.31%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $14.50 billion. About the company: Raytheon Company operates in defense, homeland security and other government markets. The Company provides electronics, mission systems integration in the areas of sensing, effects, command, control, communications and intelligence systems, and mission support services. Raytheon provides products and services worldwide.
- Tyco International Ltd. (NYSE:TYC): The shares closed at $42.38, up $0.35, or 0.83%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $19.68 billion. About the company: Tyco International Ltd. provides security products and services, fire protection and detection products and services, valves and controls, and other industrial products.
- United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX): The shares closed at $71.46, up $0.48, or 0.68%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $64.94 billion. About the company: United Technologies Corporation provides technology products and support services to customers in the aerospace and building industries worldwide. The Company’s products include aircraft engines, elevators and escalators, heating and air conditioning equipment, helicopters, aerospace systems, fuel cell systems, and fire and safety equipment.
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $18.38, up $0.06, or 0.33%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $17.87 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
Losers (% price change)
- Federal Signal Corp. (NYSE:FSS): The shares closed at $4.45, down $0.23, or 4.91%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $276.72 million. About the company: Federal Signal Corporation manufactures and supplies safety, signaling, and communications equipment. The Company’s equipment includes fire rescue products, street sweeping and vacuum loader vehicles, parking control equipment, custom on-premise signage, carbide cutting tools, precision punches and dies, and plastic injection mold components.
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $279.93, down $9.38, or 3.24%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.48 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $23.02, down $0.75, or 3.16%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.63 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- Olin Corporation (NYSE:OLN): The shares closed at $18.59, down $0.45, or 2.36%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.49 billion. About the company: Olin Corporation manufactures chemicals and ammunition products. The Company manufactures and sells chlorine, caustic soda, sodium hydrosulfite, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen, sodium chlorate, bleach products, and potassium hydroxide. Olin also manufactures products that include sporting ammunition, reloading components, small caliber military ammunition and industrial cartridges.
- ITT Corporation (NYSE:ITT): The shares closed at $43.40, down $0.57, or 1.3%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.04 billion. About the company: ITT Corporation designs and manufactures a variety of engineered products. The Company produces pumps, systems, and services to measure and control water and other fluids. ITT also supplies military defense systems, including night vision devices, secure communication systems, and avionics, in addition to providing electrical interconnects, and data storage and PC cards.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>