Conglomerates Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Tyco International Ltd. (NYSE:TYC): The shares closed at $43.87, up $0.59, or 1.36%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $20.37 billion. About the company: Tyco International Ltd. provides security products and services, fire protection and detection products and services, valves and controls, and other industrial products.
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $24.11, up $0.26, or 1.09%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.90 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- ITT Corporation (NYSE:ITT): The shares closed at $44.36, up $0.45, or 1.02%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.22 billion. About the company: ITT Corporation designs and manufactures a variety of engineered products. The Company produces pumps, systems, and services to measure and control water and other fluids. ITT also supplies military defense systems, including night vision devices, secure communication systems, and avionics, in addition to providing electrical interconnects, and data storage and PC cards.
- The Zweig Fund, Inc. (NYSE:ZF): The shares closed at $2.87, up $0.02, or 0.7%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $263.91 million. About the company: Zweig Fund, Inc. is a closed-end, diversified management investment company incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective seeks to increase capital primarily through investment in equity securities consistent with the preservation of capital. The Fund also seeks to preserve capital through the use of certain hedging and market timing techniques.
- Olin Corporation (NYSE:OLN): The shares closed at $19.39, up $0.13, or 0.67%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.55 billion. About the company: Olin Corporation manufactures chemicals and ammunition products. The Company manufactures and sells chlorine, caustic soda, sodium hydrosulfite, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen, sodium chlorate, bleach products, and potassium hydroxide. Olin also manufactures products that include sporting ammunition, reloading components, small caliber military ammunition and industrial cartridges.
Losers (% price change)
- Federal Signal Corp. (NYSE:FSS): The shares closed at $4.49, down $0.13, or 2.81%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $279.21 million. About the company: Federal Signal Corporation manufactures and supplies safety, signaling, and communications equipment. The Company’s equipment includes fire rescue products, street sweeping and vacuum loader vehicles, parking control equipment, custom on-premise signage, carbide cutting tools, precision punches and dies, and plastic injection mold components.
- Siemens AG (NYSE:SI): The shares closed at $99.23, down $1.54, or 1.53%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $86.73 billion. About the company: Siemens AG manufactures a wide range of industrial and consumer products. The Company builds locomotives, traffic control systems, automotive electronics, and engineers electrical power plants. Siemens also provides public and private communications networks, computers, building control systems, medical equipment, and electrical components. The Company operates worldwide.
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $19.48, down $0.18, or 0.92%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $18.94 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $284.41, down $2.56, or 0.89%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.52 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
- Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT): The shares closed at $18.48, down $0.14, or 0.75%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.13 billion. About the company: Textron Inc. is a global, multi-industry company with operations in aircraft, defense, industrial products, and finance. The Company’s products include airplanes, helicopters, weapons, and automotive products. Textron’s finance division offers asset based lending, aviation, distribution, golf, and resort finance, as well as structured capital.
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>