Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT): The shares closed at $18.63, up $1.18, or 6.76%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.17 billion. About the company: Textron Inc. is a global, multi-industry company with operations in aircraft, defense, industrial products, and finance. The Company’s products include airplanes, helicopters, weapons, and automotive products. Textron’s finance division offers asset based lending, aviation, distribution, golf, and resort finance, as well as structured capital.
- Tyco International Ltd. (NYSE:TYC): The shares closed at $43.70, up $1.32, or 3.11%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $20.29 billion. About the company: Tyco International Ltd. provides security products and services, fire protection and detection products and services, valves and controls, and other industrial products.
- General Electric Company (NYSE:GE): The shares closed at $16.33, up $0.25, or 1.55%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $173.10 billion. About the company: General Electric Company is a diversified technology, media and financial services company. The Company offers products and services ranging from aircraft engines, power generation, and water processing technology to medical imaging, business and consumer financing, media content and industrial products. General Electric conducts operations globally.
- ITT Corporation (NYSE:ITT): The shares closed at $44.93, up $0.63, or 1.42%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.33 billion. About the company: ITT Corporation designs and manufactures a variety of engineered products. The Company produces pumps, systems, and services to measure and control water and other fluids. ITT also supplies military defense systems, including night vision devices, secure communication systems, and avionics, in addition to providing electrical interconnects, and data storage and PC cards.
- Raytheon Company (NYSE:RTN): The shares closed at $42.13, up $0.56, or 1.35%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $14.90 billion. About the company: Raytheon Company operates in defense, homeland security and other government markets. The Company provides electronics, mission systems integration in the areas of sensing, effects, command, control, communications and intelligence systems, and mission support services. Raytheon provides products and services worldwide.
Losers (% price change)
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $18.10, down $0.38, or 2.06%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $17.60 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $285.29, down $4.53, or 1.56%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.53 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
- Siemens AG (NYSE:SI): The shares closed at $96.32, down $1.32, or 1.35%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $84.19 billion. About the company: Siemens AG manufactures a wide range of industrial and consumer products. The Company builds locomotives, traffic control systems, automotive electronics, and engineers electrical power plants. Siemens also provides public and private communications networks, computers, building control systems, medical equipment, and electrical components. The Company operates worldwide.
- Dover Corporation (NYSE:DOV): The shares closed at $52.34, down $0.57, or 1.08%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $9.74 billion. About the company: Dover Corporation manufactures a variety of specialized industrial products and manufacturing equipment. The Company’s products include Material handling equipment, refuse truck bodies, tank trailers, refrigeration systems, refrigeration display cases, marking and coding systems,sucker rods, drill bit inserts, nozzles, swivels and breakaways, and electronic technology equipment.
- ABB Ltd (NYSE:ABB): The shares closed at $18.94, down $0.17, or 0.89%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $43.38 billion. About the company: ABB Limited provides power and automation technologies. The Company operates under segments that include power products, power systems, automation products, process automation and robotics.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>