Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $286.79, up $4.84, or 1.72%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.54 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
Losers (% price change)
- United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX): The shares closed at $68.31, down $6.56, or 8.76%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $62.07 billion. About the company: United Technologies Corporation provides technology products and support services to customers in the aerospace and building industries worldwide. The Company’s products include aircraft engines, elevators and escalators, heating and air conditioning equipment, helicopters, aerospace systems, fuel cell systems, and fire and safety equipment.
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $23.57, down $1.67, or 6.62%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.76 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- Dover Corporation (NYSE:DOV): The shares closed at $46.07, down $3.21, or 6.51%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.57 billion. About the company: Dover Corporation manufactures a variety of specialized industrial products and manufacturing equipment. The Company’s products include Material handling equipment, refuse truck bodies, tank trailers, refrigeration systems, refrigeration display cases, marking and coding systems,sucker rods, drill bit inserts, nozzles, swivels and breakaways, and electronic technology equipment.
- ABB Ltd (NYSE:ABB): The shares closed at $16.77, down $0.89, or 5.04%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $38.41 billion. About the company: ABB Limited provides power and automation technologies. The Company operates under segments that include power products, power systems, automation products, process automation and robotics.
- 3M Company (NYSE:MMM): The shares closed at $72.90, down $3.44, or 4.51%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $51.73 billion. About the company: 3M Co. conducts operations in electronics, telecommunications, industrial, consumer and office, health care, safety, and other markets. The Company’s businesses share technologies, manufacturing operations, brands, marketing channels, and other resources. 3M serves customers in countries located around the world.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>