Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Conglomerates sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Koninklijke Philips (NYSE:PHG): The shares closed at $20.71, up $0.52, or 2.58%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $20.14 billion. About the company: Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. manufactures medical systems; domestic appliances; consumer electronics; and lighting. The Company produces imaging, ultrasound and healthcare informatics equipment; shaving and beauty and health and wellness products; displays, and peripherals; and lamps and luminaries.
- Leucadia National Corp. (NYSE:LUK): The shares closed at $25.69, up $0.55, or 2.19%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $6.28 billion. About the company: Leucadia National Corporation is a diversified holding company. The Company is involved in a variety of businesses, including manufacturing, telecommunications, property management and services, gaming entertainment, real estate activities, medical product development and winery operations.
- Alleghany Corporation (NYSE:Y): The shares closed at $294.42, up $4.92, or 1.7%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.61 billion. About the company: Alleghany Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is involved in the property and casualty and surety insurance business. The Company also provides reinsurance to Alleghany group operating units and affiliates own and manages properties in the Sacramento, California region, as well as conducts corporate investment and other activities.
- Dover Corporation (NYSE:DOV): The shares closed at $53.55, up $0.75, or 1.42%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $9.96 billion. About the company: Dover Corporation manufactures a variety of specialized industrial products and manufacturing equipment. The Company’s products include Material handling equipment, refuse truck bodies, tank trailers, refrigeration systems, refrigeration display cases, marking and coding systems,sucker rods, drill bit inserts, nozzles, swivels and breakaways, and electronic technology equipment.
- United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX): The shares closed at $74.25, up $0.99, or 1.35%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $67.47 billion. About the company: United Technologies Corporation provides technology products and support services to customers in the aerospace and building industries worldwide. The Company’s products include aircraft engines, elevators and escalators, heating and air conditioning equipment, helicopters, aerospace systems, fuel cell systems, and fire and safety equipment.
Losers (% price change)
- Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT): The shares closed at $18.34, down $0.25, or 1.34%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.09 billion. About the company: Textron Inc. is a global, multi-industry company with operations in aircraft, defense, industrial products, and finance. The Company’s products include airplanes, helicopters, weapons, and automotive products. Textron’s finance division offers asset based lending, aviation, distribution, golf, and resort finance, as well as structured capital.
- ITT Corporation (NYSE:ITT): The shares closed at $43.70, down $0.45, or 1.02%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.10 billion. About the company: ITT Corporation designs and manufactures a variety of engineered products. The Company produces pumps, systems, and services to measure and control water and other fluids. ITT also supplies military defense systems, including night vision devices, secure communication systems, and avionics, in addition to providing electrical interconnects, and data storage and PC cards.
- The Zweig Fund, Inc. (NYSE:ZF): The shares closed at $2.97, down $0.02, or 0.67%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $273.11 million. About the company: Zweig Fund, Inc. is a closed-end, diversified management investment company incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective seeks to increase capital primarily through investment in equity securities consistent with the preservation of capital. The Fund also seeks to preserve capital through the use of certain hedging and market timing techniques.
- Raytheon Company (NYSE:RTN): The shares closed at $42.76, down $0.2, or 0.47%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $15.12 billion. About the company: Raytheon Company operates in defense, homeland security and other government markets. The Company provides electronics, mission systems integration in the areas of sensing, effects, command, control, communications and intelligence systems, and mission support services. Raytheon provides products and services worldwide.
- Emerson Electric Co. (NYSE:EMR): The shares closed at $46.48, down $0.16, or 0.34%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $34.61 billion. About the company: Emerson Electric Co. manufactures and markets electrical, electromechanical, and electronic products and systems. The Company produces a variety of products, including process control, industrial automation, electronics, appliance components, and electric motors. Emerson sells its products around the world.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>