Consumer Non-Cyclical Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Gainers (% price change)
- Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. (NYSE:PPC): The shares closed at $3.80, up $0.13, or 3.54%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $815.03 million. About the company: Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation produces prepared and fresh chicken products in the United States and Mexico. Through vertical integration, the Company controls the breeding, hatching, and growing of chickens and the processing, preparation, and packaging of its product lines. Pilgrim’s Pride exports its products to Canada, Eastern Europe, the Far East, and other world markets.
- Green Mountain Coffee (NASDAQ:GMCR): The shares closed at $111.62, up $3.63, or 3.36%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $17.09 billion. About the company: Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. roasts Arabica coffees and offers various coffee selections. The Company’s products include single-origin, estate, certified organic, Fair Trade, signature blends, and flavored coffees sold under the Green Mountain Coffee Roasters brand. Green Mountain serves offices, supermarkets, and convenience stores, and operates a direct mail business.
- ProShares Ultra 7-10 Year (NYSE:UST): The shares closed at $104.13, up $1.58, or 1.54%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $15.45 billion. About the company: ProShares Ultra 7-10 Year Treasury is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund seeks daily investment results that correspond to twice (200%) the daily performance of the Barclays Capital 7-10 Year U.S. Treasury Bond Index.
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Inc. (NASDAQ:PEET): The shares closed at $55.40, up $0.78, or 1.43%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $715.21 million. About the company: Peet’s Coffee & Tea Inc. markets fresh roasted whole bean coffee. The Company distributes its products through specialty grocery and gourmet food stores, mail order, and office and restaurant accounts.
- Embotelladora Andina SA (NYSE:AKO.A): The shares closed at $23.08, up $0.28, or 1.23%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.92 billion.
Losers (% price change)
- MGP Ingredients, Inc. (NASDAQ:MGPI): The shares closed at $5.97, down $0.6, or 9.13%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $106.90 million. About the company: MGP Ingredients, Inc. produces and markets ingredients and distillery products. The Company’s ingredients include specialty wheat starches and specialty wheat proteins for food and non-food applications, commodity ingredients, including commodity wheat starches and vital wheat gluten, and mill feeds. MGP’s distillery products consist of food-grade alcohol.
- Cadiz Inc. (NASDAQ:CDZI): The shares closed at $9.00, down $0.89, or 9%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $127.74 million. About the company: Cadiz Inc. develops and manages water and agricultural resources in California. The Company’s portfolio of assets encompasses landholdings with groundwater resources and water storage availability, agricultural properties with water rights, and contractual water rights. Cadiz also holds technologies for water conservation, reclamation, production, and conveyance.
- Cresud Inc. (NASDAQ:CRESY): The shares closed at $13.00, down $0.79, or 5.73%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $652.03 million. About the company: Cresud S.A.C.I.F.y A. purchases and leases farms in Argentina’s Pampas region, and produces agricultural products. The Company cultivates grains including wheat, corn, soybeans, and sunflowers, raises beef and dairy cattle, and produces milk.
- Alliance One Intl., Inc. (NYSE:AOI): The shares closed at $2.77, down $0.16, or 5.46%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $241.20 million. About the company: Alliance One International, Inc. is an independent leaf tobacco merchant serving large multinational cigarette manufacturers. The Company selects, purchases, processes, packs, stores, and ships leaf tobacco. Alliance One also provides, in certain developing markets, agronomy expertise and financing for the growing of leaf tobacco.
- Dean Foods Company (NYSE:DF): The shares closed at $8.73, down $0.36, or 3.96%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.60 billion. About the company: Dean Foods Company is a food and beverage company that produces a full line of Company-branded and private label dairy and dairy-related products. The Company provides products such as milk and milk-based beverages, ice cream, half and half, whipping cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, dips, and soy milk. Dean Foods also supplies pickles, juice, juice drinks, and water.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>