Consumer Non-Cyclical Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks on Oct 13th
Gainers (% price change)
- Libbey Inc. (AMEX:LBY): The shares closed at $12.27, up $1.05, or 9.36%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $180.87 million. About the company: Libbey Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets glass tableware, which is used by foodservice, industrial, premium, and retail customers around the world. The Company also provides ceramic dinnerware and metal flatware to foodservice users in the United States. In addition, Libbey is the exclusive distributor of Vitrocrisa glass tableware products in the United States and Canada.
- MGP Ingredients, Inc. (NASDAQ:MGPI): The shares closed at $5.88, up $0.39, or 7.1%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $105.29 million. About the company: MGP Ingredients, Inc. produces and markets ingredients and distillery products. The Company’s ingredients include specialty wheat starches and specialty wheat proteins for food and non-food applications, commodity ingredients, including commodity wheat starches and vital wheat gluten, and mill feeds. MGP’s distillery products consist of food-grade alcohol.
- British American Tobacco (AMEX:BTI): The shares closed at $89.25, up $2.81, or 3.25%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $88.41 billion. About the company: British American Tobacco PLC is the holding company for a group of companies that manufacture, market and sell cigarettes and other tobacco products, including cigars and roll-your-own tobacco.
- SunOpta, Inc. (NASDAQ:STKL): The shares closed at $5.49, up $0.17, or 3.2%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $360.64 million. About the company: SunOpta Inc. owns and operates businesses in the natural and organic food markets. The Company sources, processes, and distributes natural and organic food products. SunOpta also produces, distributes, and recycles environmentally friendly industrial materials. In addition, the Company engineers and markets clean pulping systems.
- Cadiz Inc. (NASDAQ:CDZI): The shares closed at $8.64, up $0.25, or 2.98%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $122.63 million. About the company: Cadiz Inc. develops and manages water and agricultural resources in California. The Company’s portfolio of assets encompasses landholdings with groundwater resources and water storage availability, agricultural properties with water rights, and contractual water rights. Cadiz also holds technologies for water conservation, reclamation, production, and conveyance.
Losers (% price change)
- Seneca Foods Corporation (NASDAQ:SENEB): The shares closed at $16.94, down $2.74, or 13.92%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $198.80 million. About the company: Seneca Foods Corporation is primarily a vegetable processing company with manufacturing facilities located throughout the United States. The Company’s products are sold under the Libby’s, Aunt Nellie’s Farm Kitchen, and Seneca labels, as well as through the private label and industrial markets. Seneca also produces canned and frozen vegetables which are sold by Pillsbury Company.
- (): The shares closed at $8.93, down $0.37, or 3.98%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.00 billion.
- Dean Foods Company (NYSE:DF): The shares closed at $9.53, down $0.27, or 2.76%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.75 billion. About the company: Dean Foods Company is a food and beverage company that produces a full line of Company-branded and private label dairy and dairy-related products. The Company provides products such as milk and milk-based beverages, ice cream, half and half, whipping cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, dips, and soy milk. Dean Foods also supplies pickles, juice, juice drinks, and water.
- Chiquita Brands Intl (NYSE:CQB): The shares closed at $8.60, down $0.22, or 2.49%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $390.80 million. About the company: Chiquita Brands International, Inc. markets, produces, and distributes fresh bananas and other fresh produce. The Company also distributes and markets fresh-cut fruit and other branded fruit products.
- Cott Corporation (NYSE:COT): The shares closed at $7.34, down $0.18, or 2.39%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $696.21 million. About the company: Cott Corporation produces and distributes a variety of premium beverages. The Company’s beverages include soft drinks, new age beverages, iced teas, juice drinks, sports drinks, and bottled water. Cott operates manufacturing facilities in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom. The Company markets its beverages to retailers worldwide.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>