President Donald Trump is well-known for his accomplishments in the real estate world. | Nick Laham/Getty Images
The 45th United States President Donald Trump is a man of many talents: a businessman, author, television personality — and, most recently, a politician. But before he was going head-to-head with celebrities over politics, he started out by founding the Trump Organization as a holding company as a way to control his real estate assets and other business ventures. In fact, Trump’s main business focus has always been real estate, a passion he inherited from his father.
In 1968, Trump received a bachelor’s degree in economics from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce at the University of Pennsylvania. He began working for his father’s real estate company while in college, and took complete control of it in 1971. During his real estate career, Trump has built hotels, skyscrapers, golf courses, and casinos across North and South America, Asia, and Europe.
Trump’s political leanings and identification have changed over time, often conflicting with his previously espoused beliefs. His political career started out as a supporter of Ronald Reagan during the former president’s first presidential campaign. From then until 1999, he identified himself as a Republican. In 1999, however, he identified with the Reform Party and explored a presidential bid as that party’s nominee. He left the Reform Party in 2001, turning to the Democratic Party. But that wouldn’t be the end. In the 2008 election, he endorsed Republican Senator John McCain for president, switching his party affiliation again. The rest, of course, is history (or rather history in the making).
One of the key aspects of Trump’s platform is his financial acumen. During the 2016 election, he often cited his large fortune as a sign that he would be a better steward of the nation’s economy and financial stability than Hillary Clinton. It’s no surprise than that he has a lot to say on the topic of business, almost as much as the late Steve Jobs.
So, in honor of his business successes and financial wizardry, here is a list of the best Donald Trump money quotes.
1. ‘Sometimes your best investments are the ones you do not make.’
President Donald Trump greets the public at a parade alongside first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron Trump. | Kevin Dietsch-Pool/Getty Images
2. ‘Play the game.’
TV personality Billy Gardell attends the Monopoly Millionaire’s Club lottery launch. | Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images
3. ‘Exploit your passion.’
If you want to make money in any business, according to Trump, you should follow your dreams and passions. | Foter.com
4. ‘Learn from experience.’
Trump emphasizes that every experience helps us grow. | Peter Kramer/Getty Images
5. ‘Getting rich is easy. Staying rich is harder.’
The Trump Hotel Las Vegas | iStock.com/Wolterk
6. ‘I have made the tough decisions, always with an eye toward the bottom line. Perhaps it’s time America was run like a business.’
Trump’s motto from the beginning of his presidential campaign was “Make America Great Again!” | Christopher Gregory/Getty Images
7. ‘I judge people based on their capability, honesty, and merit.’
Trump emphasizes that certain characteristics and values are important in business and in people. | Foter.com
8. ‘In the end, you’re measured not by how much you undertake but by what you finally accomplish.’
According to Trump, the end result is what matters. | Foter.com
9. ‘What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.’
Don’t be afraid of surprises. | iStock.com
10. ‘As long as you’re going to be thinking anyway, think big.’
Don’t be afraid to dream big. | Foter.com
11. ‘Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.’
In the business world, you have to learn how to play the game. | Foter.com
12. ‘I learn from the past, but plan for the future by exclusively focusing on the present. That’s where the fun is.’
Donald Trump speaks to the media about a partnership with the PGA. | Mike Stobe/Getty Images
13. ‘The debt limits have to come down. The whole world of debt has to be changed as far as this country is concerned. We have to create jobs and we have to create them rapidly, because if we don’t, things are going to head in a direction that’s going to be almost impossible to recover from.’
Debt is one of Trump’s current concerns as President of the U.S. | iStock.com
14. ‘The point is that you can’t be too greedy.’
Greed can lead to your downfall in business, according to Trump. | Foter.com
15. ‘Part of being a winner is knowing when enough is enough. Sometimes you have to give up the fight and walk away, and move on to something that is more productive.’
You might not win every fight, but you’ll still come out a winner in the end. | Foter.com
16. ‘I don’t make deals for the money. I’ve got much more than I’ll ever need. I do it, to do it.’
Donald Trump speaks to a crowd of his supporters in Cincinnati, Ohio. | John Sommers II/Getty Images