Some interesting companies announced earnings last week. We’ve spared you some precious research time and put together a list of 5 earnings reports we think you should know more about:
1) CIENA Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN): Published its first quarter earnings today, and less than spectacular results precipitated a drastic slide in share values by over 17%. CIENA reported an adjusted net loss 24 cents per share, posting double the loss projected by analysts at 12 cents per share. The company lost $62.9 million this quarter, down from a $90 million loss in the fourth quarter last year. Gary Smith, President and CEO of the communications network and software servicer was tight lipped in a press statement today, commenting, “Momentum continues to be strong across our business, as evidenced by high levels of customer engagement, additional design wins around the world and strong order flows.”
2) Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. (NASDAQ:ULTA): Also reported its first quarter earnings today, and financials from the “one-stop shopping” beauty retailer were much prettier than CIENA. Ulta topped mean analyst estimates by six cents per share, posting net income of $23.3 million last quarter, a 71% increase over last year’s earnings. The company has now seen net income rise in three-straight quarters. In the fourth quarter of the last fiscal year, net income rose 48.8% and in the third quarter of the last fiscal year, the figure rose 67.9%. Wall Street was all smiles after getting the news, and beautiful things happened for (NASDAQ:ULTA) shareholders as the stock has gained over 10% in trading on the day. President and CEO Chuck Rubin was glowing in a press release, saying “We had a terrific start to the year with total sales, comparable store sales and net income per share solidly ahead of our guidance, demonstrating the ongoing preference of our beauty experience and the continued success of our growth strategies. We generated consumer excitement and heightened interest in Ulta with newness across categories, brands and services. In addition, we saw robust growth in guest count in our Ulta stores and at ulta.com as we leveraged our active eight million member loyalty base and delivered compelling social media, email and direct mail marketing campaigns.”
3) J.M. Smucker Company (NYSE:SJM): Published its fourth quarter earnings today with profits down since last year. The manufacturer and marketer of branded food products worldwide beat analyst expectations by a slight margin, but enough to send shares rolling today, up 2.25% by close. Net income for J. M. Smucker Company fell to $94.9 million (82 cents/share) vs. $120.6 million ($1.01/share) a year earlier, a decline of 21.3% from the year earlier quarter, while revenues rose 11% to $1.19 billion YoY. Tim Smucker, Chairman of the Board and Co-Chief Executive Officer commented the company’s results, saying “Our long-term focus and strategy of owning and marketing leading brands have allowed us to deliver another year of strong sales and earnings. We are gratified to have achieved these results in a challenging operating environment. Our ongoing success provides opportunities to return value to our shareholders.”
4) National Semiconductor Corp. (NYSE:NSM): Made public its results from last year’s fourth quarter today, and semiconductor products and circuits maker’s stock was up and down, breaking even on the day as it failed to beat mean analyst estimates. Gross margins fell 2.3 percentage points to 66.5%. The contraction appeared to be driven by falling revenue, as the figure fell 6.1% from the year earlier while costs rose 0.9%, while net income for the semiconductor company fell to $67.1 million (26 cents/share) vs. $79.2 million (33 cents/share) a year earlier. A decline of 15.3% from the year earlier quarter. National’s chief executive officer Don Macleod revealed, “Business conditions were a little better than we expected in the quarter, with bookings up 21%, the first increase for three quarters, we were able to get back to meaningful quarterly revenue growth.”
5) RealD Inc. (NYSE:RLD): Finally, RealD reported its results for the fourth quarter today as well. RealD Inc is engaged in global licensor of 3D technologies. The company swung to a profit of $4.3 million (8 cents/share) vs. a loss of $20.9 million or a loss of 85 cents per share in the year earlier quarter. According to Michael V. Lewis, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, “Despite challenging box office comparisons that impacted the industry during the quarter, RealD delivered 59% year-over-year growth in Adjusted EBITDA. Equally as important, we deployed a record 3,700 RealD Cinema Systems that will position the Company to benefit from a growing slate of 3D films scheduled for release this summer and beyond. Our significant increase in RealD-enabled screens, particularly in international markets, will enable a larger audience of moviegoers around the world to enjoy RealD’s distinctive and immersive 3D visual experience.” Shares were down almost 2% on the day.
Fresh Off the Press: Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s newest Feature Trades of the Month!
Disclosure: No positions