Following is some information on companies whose earnings have exceeded expectations.
- CF Industries Holdings, Inc. Co (NYSE:CF): The company reported earnings per share of $5.16 against expectations of $4.92 for a surprise of 4.88%. About the company: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. manufactures and distributes nitrogen and phosphate fertilizer products in North America. The Company’s principal products in the nitrogen segment are ammonia, urea and urea ammonium nitrate solution and its principal products in the phosphate segment are diammonium phosphate, monoammonium phosphate, and granular muriate of potash.
- CME Group Inc. (NASDAQ:CME): The company reported earnings per share of $4.74 against expectations of $4.70 for a surprise of 0.85%. About the company: CME Group Inc. operates a derivatives exchange that trades futures contracts and options on futures, interest rates, stock indexes, foreign exchange and commodities. The Exchange brings together buyers and sellers of derivatives products on its trading floors, electronic trading platform, and through privately negotiated transactions that it clears.
- CSG Systems International, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSGS): The company reported earnings per share of $0.58 against expectations of $0.53 for a surprise of 9.43%. About the company: CSG Systems International, Inc. provides customer care and billing solutions for cable television providers, direct broadcast satellite providers, on-line services markets, and telephony providers. The Company offers a suite of processing and related services, as well as software and professional services which automate customer care and billing functions.
- Castle (A.M.) & Co. (NYSE:CAS): The company reported earnings per share of $0.23 against expectations of $0.21 for a surprise of 9.52%. About the company: A. M. Castle & Co. provides highly-engineered materials and value-added processing services to a variety of industrial companies. The Company distributes specialty metals, nickel alloys, aluminum, titanium, and copper and brass. A. M. Castle also provides materials management programs.
- Catalyst Health Solutions, Inc (NASDAQ:CHSI): The company reported earnings per share of $0.63 against expectations of $0.61 for a surprise of 3.28%. About the company: Catalyst Health Solutions, Inc. offers pharmacy benefit management services. The Company serves managed-care organizations, self-insured employers, and third party administrators.
- Cerus Corporation (NASDAQ:CERS): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.06) against expectations of ($0.11) for a surprise of 45.45%. About the company: Cerus Corporation develops systems designed to enhance the safety of blood transfusions. The Company’s systems inactivate pathogens in blood components and inactivate white blood cells, which are responsible for a variety of adverse transfusion reactions. Cerus’ platform technologies prevent viral, bacterial, and cellular replication.
- Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (NYSE:CKP): The company reported earnings per share of $0.38 against expectations of $0.29 for a surprise of 31.03%. About the company: Checkpoint Systems, Inc. manufactures and markets labeling systems and label solutions for a diverse customer base across many industries. The Company provides RF source tagging, barcode labeling systems, electronic article surveillance, handheld labeling systems, and retail merchandising systems for several applications within the automatic identification industry.
- Chesapeake Lodging Trust (NYSE:CHSP): The company reported earnings per share of $0.18 against expectations of $0.16 for a surprise of 12.50%. About the company: Chesapeake Lodging Trust is a self-advised hotel investment company. The Trust invests primarily in hotels, aiports and convention markets in the United States.
- Cobalt International Energy, Inc. (NYSE:CIE): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.05) against expectations of ($0.07) for a surprise of 28.57%. About the company: Cobalt International Energy, Inc. is an oil-focused exploration and production company. The Company explores for oil in the deep offshore waters of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico and West Africa, with an emphasis on sub-salt and pre-salt exploration, development, and production.
- Cognex Corporation (NASDAQ:CGNX): The company reported earnings per share of $0.42 against expectations of $0.37 for a surprise of 13.51%. About the company: Cognex Corporation designs, develops, manufactures, and markets machine vision systems. The Company’s systems are used to automate the manufacture of a variety of discrete items and to assure their quality. Cognex has regional offices located throughout North America, Japan, Europe, and Southeast Asia.
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls