Financial Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks on Oct 12th
Gainers (% price change)
- Crawford & Company (NYSE:CRD.B): The shares closed at $6.27, up $0.56, or 9.81%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $337.08 million.
- Oppenheimer Hldgs. Inc (NYSE:OPY): The shares closed at $17.90, up $1.52, or 9.28%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $244.70 million. About the company: Oppenheimer Holdings Inc., through its principal subsidiary, Oppenheimer & Co. Inc., is a United States regional broker-dealer. The Company offers a full range of services from various offices in the United States and international jurisdictions. Oppenheimer also offers online discount brokerage and dollar-based investing services.
- BBVA Banco Frances S.A (NYSE:BFR): The shares closed at $6.17, up $0.47, or 8.25%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.10 billion. About the company: BBVA Banco Frances SA operates as a full-service bank for large corporations, middle market businesses, and individuals. The Bank offers consumer and corporate lending, securities trading and insurance, sponsors credit cards, administers pension funds, and manages mutual funds.
- Century Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ:CNBKA): The shares closed at $26.89, up $1.99, or 7.99%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $148.99 million. About the company: Century Bancorp, Inc. is a holding company for Century Bank and Trust Company. The Bank provides a full range of banking services to individual, business, and municipal customers through a network of offices in eastern Massachusetts.
- First Community (NASDAQ:FCBC): The shares closed at $11.46, up $0.81, or 7.61%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $205.34 million. About the company: First Community Bancshares, Inc. is the holding company for First Community Bank, N.A. The Bank generates revenue primarily through commercial, real estate, and consumer lending within its respective market area. The Company also operates investment management and mortgage banking companies. First Community Bancshares operates in West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina.
Losers (% price change)
- Platinum Underwriters (NYSE:PTP): The shares closed at $28.74, down $3.03, or 9.54%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.07 billion. About the company: Platinum Underwriters Holdings, Ltd. is a holding company that provides property and casualty reinsurance coverages to insurers and select reinsurers on a worldwide basis. The Company’s reinsurance segments include global property and marine, global casualty which includes general liablity, auto liablity, professional liablity, workers’ compensation and accident and health.
- United Community Banks (NASDAQ:UCBI): The shares closed at $8.00, down $0.8, or 9.09%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $459.86 million. About the company: United Community Banks, Inc. is a multi-bank holding company with locations throughout north Georgia and western North Carolina. The Banks are community oriented and offer retail and corporate banking services including checking, savings, and time deposit accounts, secured and unsecured loans, wire transfers, trust services, and rental of safe deposit boxes.
- Radian Group Inc. (NYSE:RDN): The shares closed at $2.39, down $0.16, or 6.27%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $318.38 million. About the company: Radian Group Inc. provides financial guarantee insurance. The Company’s products and services enable homebuyers to purchase homes more quickly and with smaller down payments, protect lenders against loan default, and lower the costs of mortgage origination and servicing. Radian also provides insurance and reinsurance to investors in corporate, municipal, and asset-backed securities.
- Hampton Roads Bankshares (NASDAQ:HMPR): The shares closed at $4.92, down $0.3, or 5.75%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $170.04 million. About the company: Hampton Roads Bankshares, Inc. is the holding company for Bank of Hampton Roads. The Bank is involved in a general community and commercial banking business, targeting the needs of individuals and small to medium sized businesses. Bank of Hampton Roads operates various branches which serve Chesapeake, Suffolk, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach, all located in Virginia.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>