Financial Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks on Oct 18th
Gainers (% price change)
- Hampton Roads Bankshares (NASDAQ:HMPR): The shares closed at $4.74, up $0.5, or 11.79%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $163.82 million. About the company: Hampton Roads Bankshares, Inc. is the holding company for Bank of Hampton Roads. The Bank is involved in a general community and commercial banking business, targeting the needs of individuals and small to medium sized businesses. Bank of Hampton Roads operates various branches which serve Chesapeake, Suffolk, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach, all located in Virginia.
- Regions Financial Corp. (NYSE:RF): The shares closed at $3.83, up $0.37, or 10.69%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $4.82 billion. About the company: Regions Financial Corporation is a regional multi-bank holding company. The Company provides mortgage banking, credit life insurance, leasing, commercial accounts receivable factoring, specialty mortgage financing, and securities brokerage services. Regions provides banking services throughout the South, Midwest, and Eastern United States.
- State Street Corporation (NYSE:STT): The shares closed at $37.49, up $3.62, or 10.69%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $18.90 billion. About the company: State Street Corporation services institutional investors and manages financial assets worldwide. The Company’s products and services include custody, accounting, administration, daily pricing, international exchange services, cash management, financial asset management, securities lending, and investment advisory services.
- Bank of America Corp (NYSE:BAC): The shares closed at $6.64, up $0.61, or 10.12%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $67.29 billion. About the company: Bank of America Corporation accepts deposits and offers banking, investing, asset management, and other financial and risk-management products and services. The Company has a mortgage lending subsidiary, and an investment banking and securities brokerage subsidiary.
- Brown & Brown, Inc. (NYSE:BRO): The shares closed at $19.67, up $1.74, or 9.7%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.81 billion. About the company: Brown & Brown, Inc. and its subsidiaries provide a range of insurance and reinsurance products and services. The Company also provides risk management, employee benefit administration, and managed health care services. Brown & Brown operates offices across the United States.
Losers (% price change)
- Helios High Yield Fund (NYSE:HHY): The shares closed at $23.14, down $4.54, or 16.4%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $157.94 million. About the company: Helios High Yield Fund is a non-diversified, closed-end management investment company incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective is high current income, as well as capital growth. The Fund invests at least 65% of its total assets in high-yield bonds, debentures, notes, corporate loans and other debt instruments rated below investment-grade or unrated.
- Bank of Ireland (NYSE:IRE): The shares closed at $6.59, down $0.29, or 4.22%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $4.96 billion. About the company: The Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland provides a range of banking, life insurance and other financial services to customers in Ireland and United Kingdom. Services include branch banking, personal and business loans, loan insurance, mortgages, foreign exchange, correspondent banking, credit cards and stockbroking.
- ProShares UltraShort S (AMEX:SDS): The shares closed at $21.39, down $0.91, or 4.08%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.17 billion. About the company: UltraShort S&P500 ProShares is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund seeks daily investment results that correspond to twice (200%) the inverse (opposite) of the daily performance of the S&P 500 Index.
- Coventry Health Care, Inc (NYSE:CVH): The shares closed at $28.09, down $1.11, or 3.8%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $4.17 billion. About the company: Coventry Health Care, Inc. is a managed health care company operating health plans and insurance companies under a variety of names. The Company provides health maintenance organization, preferred provider organization, point of service, Medicare and Medicaid, and Network Rental to members in markets throughout the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast United States.
- First Federal Bancshares (NASDAQ:FFBH): The shares closed at $5.28, down $0.2, or 3.65%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $101.92 million. About the company: First Federal Bancshares of Arkansas, Inc. is a holding company for First Federal Bank of Arkansas, FA. The Bank attracts deposits from the general public and uses those funds to originate a variety of loans. First Federal Bank operates in northcentral and northwest Arkansas.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>