Gainers (% price change)
- Mesabi Trust (NYSE:MSB): The shares closed at $27.31, up $1.99, or 7.86%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $358.31 million. About the company: Mesabi Trust owns mining rights on taconite properties in Minnesota. The Trust conserves and protects the trust estate and collects and distributes the income to certificate holders.
- Platinum Underwriters (NYSE:PTP): The shares closed at $30.25, up $2.1, or 7.46%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.13 billion. About the company: Platinum Underwriters Holdings, Ltd. is a holding company that provides property and casualty reinsurance coverages to insurers and select reinsurers on a worldwide basis. The Company’s reinsurance segments include global property and marine, global casualty which includes general liablity, auto liablity, professional liablity, workers’ compensation and accident and health.
- Pinnacle Financial (NASDAQ:PNFP): The shares closed at $13.55, up $0.75, or 5.86%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $462.57 million. About the company: Pinnacle Financial Partners, Inc. is a holding company for Pinnacle National Bank. The Bank operates as a community bank emphasizing personal banking relationships with individuals and businesses located in its primary service area, which is comprised of the metropolitan Nashville, Tennessee area and surrounding counties.
- The Travelers Companies (NYSE:TRV): The shares closed at $54.39, up $2.93, or 5.69%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $22.78 billion. About the company: The Travelers Companies, Inc. provides commercial property casualty insurance and asset management services to businesses, government units, associations and individuals. The Company underwrites homeowners and auto insurance through independent agents.
- Radian Group Inc. (NYSE:RDN): The shares closed at $2.64, up $0.14, or 5.6%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $351.68 million. About the company: Radian Group Inc. provides financial guarantee insurance. The Company’s products and services enable homebuyers to purchase homes more quickly and with smaller down payments, protect lenders against loan default, and lower the costs of mortgage origination and servicing. Radian also provides insurance and reinsurance to investors in corporate, municipal, and asset-backed securities.
Losers (% price change)
- Helios High Yield Fund (NYSE:HHY): The shares closed at $23.14, down $4.54, or 16.4%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $157.94 million. About the company: Helios High Yield Fund is a non-diversified, closed-end management investment company incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective is high current income, as well as capital growth. The Fund invests at least 65% of its total assets in high-yield bonds, debentures, notes, corporate loans and other debt instruments rated below investment-grade or unrated.
- Bank of Ireland (NYSE:IRE): The shares closed at $5.69, down $0.9, or 13.66%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $4.29 billion. About the company: The Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland provides a range of banking, life insurance and other financial services to customers in Ireland and United Kingdom. Services include branch banking, personal and business loans, loan insurance, mortgages, foreign exchange, correspondent banking, credit cards and stockbroking.
- Comerica Incorporated (NYSE:CMA): The shares closed at $23.13, down $2.72, or 10.52%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $4.09 billion. About the company: Comerica Incorporated is the holding company for business, individual, and investment banks with operations in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The Company’s subsidiaries provide services such as corporate banking, international finance, treasury management, community banking, private banking, small business and individual lending, investment services, and institutional trust.
- Piper Jaffray Companies (NYSE:PJC): The shares closed at $18.45, down $1.73, or 8.57%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $354.56 million. About the company: Piper Jaffray Companies, Inc. is a financial services firm. The Company provides investment advice and services to businesses, institutions, and individuals. Piper’s investment banking business focuses on the needs of emerging growth companies in the healthcare, technology, financial, consumer, and industrial growth sectors.
- Sun Bancorp, Inc. /NJ (NASDAQ:SNBC): The shares closed at $2.73, down $0.21, or 7.14%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $226.81 million. About the company: Sun Bancorp, Inc. is the holding company for Sun National Bank and Sun National Bank, Delaware. The Banks offer a wide variety of commercial and consumer lending and deposit services through branches located throughout southern and central New Jersey, New Castle County, Delaware, and in Philadelphia.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>