Fortress Investment Group (NYSE:FIG), which is structured as a Master Limited Partnership, describes itself as an “alternative investment manager.” Nonetheless, it has large holdings in publicly traded companies.
Following are the 20-largest holdings in Fortress Investment Group as of year-end 2010:
- Rail America (NYSE:RA): Fortress held $393,033,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. RailAmerica, Inc. owns and operates short-line and regional freight railroads in North America.
- Brookdale Senior Living Inc (NYSE:BKD): Fortress held $376,684,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Brookdale Senior Living Inc. operates senior living facilities in the United States. The Company offers its residents access to a full continuum of services across all sectors of the senior living industry. Brookdale Senior operates independent living facilities, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and a skilled nursing facility.
- Aircastle Ltd (NYSE:AYR): Fortress held $230,275,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Aircastle Ltd. is a global company that acquires, leases, and sells high-utility commercial jet aircraft to airlines throughout the world.
- Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C): Fortress held $151,148,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Citigroup Inc. is a diversified financial services holding company that provides a broad range of financial services to consumer and corporate customers around the world. The Company’s services include investment banking, retail brokerage, corporate banking, and cash management products and services. Citigroup Earnings: Bad News Still Better than Expectations>>
- American Capital Ltd (NASDAQ:ACAS): Fortress held $94,404,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. American Capital Ltd. is an alternative asset manager. The Company, directly and through its global asset management business, invests in employee and management buyouts, private equity buyouts, and early stage and mature private and public companies. American Capital provides debt and equity to fund growth, acquisitions, recapitalizations, and securitizations.
- Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC): Fortress held $89,112,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Bank of America Corporation accepts deposits and offers banking, investing, asset management, and other financial and risk-management products and services. The Company has a mortgage lending subsidiary, and an investment banking and securities brokerage subsidiary. Bank of America Earnings Cheat Sheet: Profitable Quarter But Revenues Drop>>
- JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE:JPM): Fortress held $38,221,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. JPMorgan Chase & Co. provides global financial services and retail banking. The Company provides services such as investment banking, treasury and securities services, asset management, private banking, card member services, commercial banking, and home finance. JP Morgan Chase serves business enterprises, institutions, and individuals. Here’s Why JPMorgan Shares are Flat After Earnings>>
- General Motors Company (NYSE:GM): Fortress held $24,328,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. General Motors Co. manufactures and markets new cars and trucks. The Company offers features for special needs drivers, OnStar vehicle protection, service, parts, accessories, maintenance, XM satellite radio, features for commercial owners, and more. General Motors offers its vehicles and services worldwide.
- Spansion Inc (NYSE:CODE): Fortress held $18,040,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Spansion, Inc. develops and markets flash memory products. Flash memory is incorporated into cars, printers, networking equipment, set-top boxes, high-definition televisions, games, cell phones and other consumer electronics.
- Suncor Energy Inc (NYSE:SU): Fortress held $13,976,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Suncor Energy, Inc. is an integrated energy company focused on developing the Athabasca oil sands basin. The Company extracts and upgrade oil sands into refinery feedstock and diesel fuel, explores for, develops and produces natural gas, refines crude oil and markets a range of petroleum and petrochemical products, and operates crude oil pipelines and retail petroleum stations.
- Total S A (NYSE:TOT): Fortress held $12,299,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Total SA explores for, produces, refines, transports, and markets oil and natural gas. The Company also operates a chemical division which produce polypropylene, polyethylene, polystyrene, rubber, paint, ink, adhesives, and resins. Total operates gasoline filling stations in Europe, the United States, and Africa.
- Newfield Exploration Co (NYSE:NFX): Fortress held $9,159,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Newfield Exploration Company is an independent oil and gas company which explores, develops, and acquires oil and natural gas properties. The Company operates in the Gulf of Mexico, in the onshore United States Gulf Coast, within the North Sea, within Malaysia, and in the Bohai Bay in China.
- Anadarko Petroleum Corp (NYSE:APC): Fortress held $8,535,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is an independent oil and gas exploration and production company with international operations. In the United States, the Company operates in Texas and surrounding states, the Rocky Mountain region, Alaska, and the Gulf of Mexico. Internationally, Anadarko has exploration and/or production operations in Africa, Asia, South America, and the Caribbean.
- Newcastle Investment Corp (NYSE:NCT): Fortress held $8,164,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Newcastle Investment Corporation is a real estate investment trust that invests in real estate securities and other real estate-related assets. The Company seeks to finance these investments primarily using match-funded financing structures.
- Paychex Inc (NASDAQ:PAYX): Fortress held $8,129,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Paychex, Inc. provides comprehensive payroll and integrated human resource and employee benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses in the United States. The Company’s services range from calculating payroll and filing tax payments to administering retirement plans and workers’ compensation.
- KKR & Co LP (NYSE:KKR): Fortress held $7,583,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. KKR & Co. LP is a global alternative asset manager. The Company operates private equity funds that take either controlling or strategic minority ownership positions for long-term appreciation; invests in leveraged loans, high-yield bonds and less liquid credit products; and, on behalf of portfolio companies, arranges equity and debt financing and offers capital market advice.
- US Bancorp (NYSE:USB): Fortress held $7,012,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. US Bancorp is a diversified financial services company that provides lending and depository services, cash management, foreign exchange and trust and investment management services. The Company also provides credit card services, mortgage banking, insurance, brokerage, and leasing. US Bancorp operates in the Midwest and Western United States. U.S. Bancorp Earnings: Another Bank Beats Wall Street>>
- Murphy Oil Corp (NYSE:MUR): Fortress held $5,963,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Murphy Oil Corporation is a worldwide oil and gas exploration and production company with refining and marketing operating in the United States and the United Kingdom. The Company also has exploration and production activities in countries that include the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, and Ecuador. Murphy Oil has retail operations as well in the United States.
- Penn National Gaming Inc (NASDAQ:PENN): Fortress held $5,548,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Penn National Gaming, Inc. owns and operates Charles Town Races in West Virginia, which features slot machines, casinos in Mississippi, and a riverboat gaming facility in Louisiana. The Company also owns racetracks and off-track wagering facilities in Pennsylvania, as well as manages a gaming facility in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
- Devon Energy Corp New (NYSE:DVN): Fortress held $5,495,000.00 of its stock on December 31st, 2010. Devon Energy Corporation is an independent energy company that is involved primarily in oil and gas exploration, development and production, the transportation of oil, gas, and NGLs and the processing of natural gas. The Company also has marketing and midstream operations primarily in North America that include gas, crude oil and NGLs.
About the company: Fortress Investment Group LLC is an alternative asset manager. The Company raises, invests and manages private equity funds, hedge funds and publicly traded alternative investment vehicles. Its competitors include The Blackstone Group L.P. (NYSE:BX), Och-Ziff Capital Management (NYSE:OZM), Resource America, Inc. (NASDAQ:REXI), Invesco Ltd. (NYSE:IVZ), AllianceBernstein Holdings (NYSE:AB), Gamco Investors Inc. (NYSE:GBL), Affiliated Managers (NYSE:AMG), Westwood Holdings Group (NYSE:WHG), Eaton Vance Corp. (NYSE:EV), and Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (NYSE:GS)