But that ETF isn’t the only way a fund manager can play through equities (remember, we have no idea what he’s doing with derivatives etc.). There are also miners.
So let’s take a quick look at Soros’ various position in miners (NYSE:GDX), and how that compares to the previous quarter:
- Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX): 8500 shares vs. 4800 in the previous quarter.
- Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO): 21,000 shares, totally new position.
- Goldcorp (NYSE:GG): 7100 shares, totally new position.
- Great Basin Gold (AMEX:GBG): 6 million shares, up from 5.1 million in the previous quarter. (This is a $2 stock, so not a huge position.)
- Kinross Gold (NYSE:KGC): 1.3 million shares, DOWN from 3.9 million in the previous quarter. (This is a $14 stock, so this is actually some real selling.)
- Market Vectors Gold Miner ETF (NYSE:GDX): 9,800, down form 14,400.
- NovaGold (AMEX:NG): 3.5 million shares, WAY DOWN from 12.9 million in the previous quarter. (At $10/share, this is also substantial.)
So, a little bit of moving in and out of things, and new positions, though all the really big moves are sales.
Joe Weisenthal is Deputy Editor at Business Insider.