Goldman Sachs to Hedge Funds: Buy These Stocks Now
Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) has released a report which identifies the following 15 stocks as “very important” for hedge funds. What do you think? Do you think these stocks have a position in your portfolio?
- Smurfit-Stone Container Corp. (NYSE:SSCC): About the company: Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation manufactures paperboard and paper-based packaging. The Company produces containerboard, corrugated containers, kraft paper, bleached paperboard and market pulp, and collects recycled paper.
- BP (NYSE:BP): About the company: BP plc is an oil and petrochemicals company. The Company explores for and produces oil and natural gas, refines, markets, and supplies petroleum products, generates solar energy, and manufactures and markets chemicals. BP’s chemicals include terphthalic acid, acetic acid, acrylonitrile, ethylene, and polyethylene.
- Marathon Oil (NYSE:MRO): About the company: Marathon Oil Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is an integrated oil firm with operations worldwide. The Company explores for and produces and markets liquid hydrocarbons and natural gas on a worldwide basis. Marathon also mines, extracts and transports bitumen from oil sands deposits in Alberta, Canada and refines, markets and transports crude oil and petroleum products. Competitors to Watch: ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP), Hess Corp. (NYSE:HES), Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), TOTAL S.A. (NYSE:TOT), Statoil ASA (NYSE:STO), and Murphy Oil Corporation (NYSE:MUR).
- Priceline (NASDAQ:PCLN): About the company: Priceline.com Incorporated enables consumers to use the Internet to save money on a variety of products and services. The Company’s product allows customers to name their own price on products or services and communicates that demand directly to participating sellers or to their private databases. Participants include domestic and international airlines, and hotel chains. Competitors to Watch: Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:OWW), Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXPE), Travelzoo Inc. (NASDAQ:TZOO), Universal Travel Group (NYSE:UTA), Ctrip.com Intl., Ltd. (NASDAQ:CTRP), Viad Corp (NYSE:VVI) and Interval Leisure Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:IILG).
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals (NYSE:VRX): About the company: Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. develops and distributes drugs. The Company develops drugs for unmet medical needs in central nervous system disorders; and distributes generic and branded generic drugs in Latin America and Eastern Europe.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (NASDAQ:TEVA): About the company: Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. develops, manufactures and markets generic and branded human pharmaceuticals and active pharmaceutical ingredients. The Company produces antibiotics, oncological products, Alpha D3 for treatment of post-menopausal bone loss in women and Copaxone for treatment of multiple sclerosis. Teva develops novel drugs for diseases of the central nervous system.
- Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO): About the company: Yahoo! Inc. is a global Internet media company that offers an online guide to Web navigation, aggregated information content, communication services, and commerce. The Company’s site includes a hierarchical, subject-based directory of Web sites, which enables users to locate and access information and services through hypertext links included in the directory. Competitors to Watch: AOL, Inc. (NYSE:AOL), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), InterActive Corp (NASDAQ:IACI), Sohu.com (NASDAQ:SOHU), Demand Media (DMD), Sina Corp (NASDAQ:SINA), Infospace (NASDAQ:INSP), News Corp (NASDAQ:NWSA) and Google Inc. ( NASDAQ:GOOG
- Chevron (NYSE:CVX): About the company: Chevron Corporation is an integrated energy company with operations in countries located around the world. The Company produces and transports crude oil and natural gas. Chevron also refines, markets, and distributes fuels as well as is involved in chemical operations, mining operations, power generation and energy services.
- MetLife (NYSE:MET): About the company: MetLife, Inc. provides individual insurance, employee benefits and financial services with operations throughout the United States and the regions of Latin America, Europe, and Asia Pacific. The Company’s products include life insurance, annuities, automobile and homeowners insurance, retail banking and other financial services to individuals as well as group insurance. Competitors to Watch: Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE:PRU), CNO Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE:CNO), Torchmark Corporation (NYSE:TMK), Lincoln National Corp. (NYSE:LNC), Hartford Financial Services (NYSE:HIG), Traveler’s (NYSE:TRV) and American International Group (NYSE:AIG).
- Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX): About the company: Netflix, Inc. is an online movie rental service. The Company ships DVDs with no due dates or late fees, directly to the subscriber’s address. Netflix also provides background information on DVD releases, including critic reviews, member reviews and ratings, and personalized movie recommendations. Competitors to Watch: Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), Dish Networks (NASDAQ:DISH), Best Buy (NYSE:BBY), Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA), AOL (NYSE:AOL), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), Time Warner Cable (NYSE:TWC), DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV), TiVo (NASDAQ:TIVO), Echostar (NASDAQ:SATS), Coinstar, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSTR), Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) and IMAX (NASDAQ:IMAX).
- MasterCard (NYSE:MA): About the company: MasterCard, Inc. is a global payment solutions company that provides a variety of services in support of the credit, debit and related payment programs of financial institutions. The Company offers transaction processing services for credit and debit cards, electronic cash, automated teller machines, and travelers checks. Competitors to Watch: Visa Inc. (NYSE:V), American Express Company (NYSE:AXP), Discover Financial Services (NYSE:DFS)
- SINA Corp. (NASDAQ:SINA): About the company: SINA Corporation is a global Internet media company operating Chinese-language destination sites. The Company offers a network of branded content and services targeting people of Chinese descent worldwide. SINA.com offers online news, entertainment, community, and commerce through web sites that are produced and updated by local teams in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and North America. Competitors to Watch: SINA Corporation (YIN), Sohu.com Inc. (NASDAQ:SOHU), Baidu.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:BIDU), Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG), Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO), NetEase.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:NTES), Youku.com Inc (NYSE:YOKU),
- Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK): About the company: Chesapeake Energy Corporation produces oil and natural gas. The Company’s operations are focused on discovering, developing and acquiring conventional and unconventional natural gas reserves onshore in the United States.
- Equinix (NASDAQ:EQIX): About the company: Equinix, Inc. provides core Internet exchange services to networks, Internet infrastructure companies, enterprises, and content providers. The Company operates Internet Business Exchange centers in several countries, where customers can interconnect with the providers that serve Internet networks and users for their peering, transit, and traffic exchange requirements.
- ENSCO Plc (NYSE:ESV): About the company: Ensco PLC is an international offshore contract drilling company. The Company’s operations are concentrated in the geographic regions of Asia Pacific (which includes Asia, the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand), Europe/Africa and North and South America.