Healthcare Sector Review:Winning and Losing Stocks
Gainers (% price change)
- Optimer Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:OPTR): The shares closed at $15.66, up $1.62, or 11.54%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $729.81 million. About the company: Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. discovers, develops, and commercializes anti infective products. Optimer’s initial development efforts address products that treat gastrointestinal infections (GI), and related diseases, including diminished efficacy, serious adverse side effects, drug-to-drug interactions, difficult patient compliance, and bacterial resistance.
- Wright Medical Group, Inc (NASDAQ:WMGI): The shares closed at $17.40, up $1.37, or 8.55%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $685.64 million. About the company: Wright Medical Group, Inc., an orthopedic device company, specializes in the design, manufacture, and marketing of reconstructive joint devices and bio-orthopedic materials. The Company’s joint devices are used to replace knee, hip, and other joints that have deteriorated through disease or injury.
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:REGN): The shares closed at $64.92, up $4.72, or 7.84%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.95 billion. About the company: Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes pharmaceutical products for the treatment of serious medical conditions. The Company has therapeutic candidates in clinical trials for the potential treatment of cancer, eye diseases, and inflammatory diseases, and has preclinical programs in other diseases and disorders.
- Progenics Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:PGNX): The shares closed at $6.15, up $0.41, or 7.14%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $207.31 million. About the company: Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company. The Company develops and distributes therapeutic products to treat the unmet medical needs of patients with debilitating conditions and life-threatening diseases. Progenics’ principal programs are directed toward supportive care, virology (human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus infections), and oncology.
- Senomyx Inc. (NASDAQ:SNMX): The shares closed at $4.14, up $0.27, or 6.98%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $164.10 million. About the company: Senomyx, Inc. discovers new proprietary flavor and fragrance molecules for use in a wide range of consumer products. The company’s flavor and fragrance molecules are used by consumer products companies to improve the taste or smell of many products, including processed foods, beverages, perfumes and personal and home care products.
Losers (% price change)
- Momenta Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:MNTA): The shares closed at $12.30, down $5.45, or 30.7%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $629.44 million. About the company: Momenta Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biotechnology company. The Company specializes in sequencing and engineering of complex sugars for the development of improved versions of existing drugs, the development of novel drugs, and the discovery of new biological processes. Momenta also develops technology-enabled generic products.
- HEALTHSOUTH Corp. (NYSE:HLS): The shares closed at $17.98, down $2.98, or 14.22%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.71 billion. About the company: HEALTHSOUTH Corporation provides inpatient rehabilitative healthcare services. The Company operates inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, long-term acute care hospitals, outpatient and rehabilitation satellites, and home health agencies. HEALTHSOUTH provides treatment on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
- Gentiva Health Services (NASDAQ:GTIV): The shares closed at $6.29, down $0.9, or 12.52%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $192.52 million. About the company: Gentiva Health Services, Inc. provides specialty pharmaceutical and home health care services. The company provides products and services for hemophilia and bleeding disorders, growth hormone deficiency, RSV prevention and nutritional support services. Gentiva also provides services for diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, post-surgical care, orthopedic rehabilitation and other diseases.
- Dynavax Tech. Corp. (NASDAQ:DVAX): The shares closed at $2.18, down $0.25, or 10.29%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $269.05 million. About the company: Dynavax Technologies Corporation discovers, develops, and is seeking to commercialize products based on immunostimulatory sequences. The Company is developing products to treat and prevent allergies, infectious diseases, and chronic inflammatory diseases using approaches that alter immune system responses in specific ways.
- Biolase Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:BLTI): The shares closed at $3.32, down $0.32, or 8.79%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $100.25 million. About the company: BioLase Technology, Inc. manufactures and markets laser dental, cosmetic, aesthetic, and surgical systems. The Company also manufactures a patented laser-based Hydrokinetic surgical cutting system.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>