With the Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) hanging at 12,000, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) at 1300 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQQ) flat on the 23rd trading day of 2011, here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
1) CVS Caremark Corp (NYSE:CVS): Shares are down 5.75% to $32.66 per share after the company missed expectations by a penny in its latest quarterly earnings report. Revenue of $24.77 billion was lighter than the expected analyst consensus of $24.98 billion. The big drop came from the pharmacy benefits division and the emergence of new lower-priced generics on the market.
2) Kellogg Company (NYSE:K): The stock is up 3.91% today to $52.35 per share following a good quarterly earnings report. The company earned $.51 cents per share compared to $.46 cents per share in the prior quarter a year ago. Kellogg reaffirmed its outlook for 2011: $3.39 to $3.46 per share.
3) Estee Lauder (NYSE:EL): Shares are surging higher 14% to $91.78 per share today after the company reported a very strong earnings report. Revenue rose 10% year-over-year for the retailer while profits increased 34%.
4) Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (NASDAQ:GMCR): Shares are up over 14% to $37.77 per share today. Over 12 million shares have traded hands after last evening’s positive earnings report. The stock hit a 52-week high today.
5) Starwood Hotels (NYSE:HOT): Shares of this hotel company are down over 1% to $59.95 per share after seeing a big spike in the early morning. The company beat earnings estimates by $.13 cents and guided higher on its outlook for 2011 to between $1.55 and $1.65 per share. Starwood’s net income totaled $339 million, or $1.78 per share, compared with a year-earlier net loss of $107 million, or 59 cents per share.
6) Shutterfly (NASDAQ:SFLY): Shares are climbing higher over 18% to $40.64 per share today on 2 million shares trading hands. Morgan Keegan upgraded the stock after a quarterly earnings report that saw revenue rise to $166.2 million from $131.1 million, beating the $153.8 million analysts were expecting.
7) Brightpoint (NASDAQ:CELL): The stock hit a 52-week high today as shares are up 30% to $12.39 per share. Revenue rose 24% to $1.12 billion from $904.5 million in the year-ago quarter, more than the $1.01 billion analysts expected.
8) AutoNation (NYSE:AN): Shares are up 12% to $31.65 per share after the company reported Q4 earnings up 28.5%. The Auto retailers revenue was up 16% year-over-year.
9) Dow Chemical (NYSE:DOW): After hitting a 52-week high this morning of $37.50 per share, the stock is trading flat at $36.68 per share this afternoon. Revenue for the chemical powerhouse surged 22% higher on the quarter. The company delivered a very impressive quarter to Wall Street analysts.
10) Ford (NYSE:F): Shares of the iconic American auto company are up 1.5% today to $15.64 per share after the company announced gains in truck market share in 2010. On the downside, today’s headlines are splashed with a major recall of 363,000 pickup trucks due to an interior door handle spring. Investors appear to be shrugging off the bad news in favor of the recent sell-off and possibly value opportunity in Ford shares.
Start Off 2011 by Improving Your Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter >>