Here’s the 25 MOST HATED Stocks on the NYSE and NASDAQ
Following are 25 companies that have at least 10% of their float sold short. The median volume of shares traded per day is 1,078,454, the median market cap is $858,556,693, and the median float is 52,687,058 shares. In short, none of these are small- or micro-cap stocks, though none are $50 billion behemoths either. They are all liquid stocks in which short sellers have amassed a relatively large portion of the float.
|Company Name||Short Interest as a % of Float||Recent Price per share||52wk low||% off 52 wk low||Mkt cap||Avg volume||Size of float||Num. Sh. Sold Sh.|
|Xilinx Inc. (NASDAQ:XLNX)||11.80%||34.54||22.75||34%||$9,017,023,036.00||5,082,581||261,060,301||30,805,116|
|Ciena Corp. (NASDAQ:CIEN)||28.20%||27.44||11.86||57%||$2,604,831,505.00||7,005,886||94,928,260||26,769,769|
|St. Joe Company (NYSE:JOE)||26.80%||26.25||17.04||35%||$2,431,398,454.00||1,547,960||92,624,703||24,823,420|
|Patriot Coal Corp. (NYSE:PCX)||10.50%||24.18||9.76||60%||$2,200,244,596.00||9,279,444||90,994,399||9,554,412|
|Watsco Inc. (NYSE:WSO)||13.40%||65.72||50.3||23%||$2,129,264,094.00||311,138||32,399,027||4,341,470|
|International Coal Group Inc (NYSE:ICO)||10%||9.97||3.59||64%||$2,032,259,042.00||7,943,172||203,837,411||20,383,741|
|Ancestry.com Inc (NASDAQ:ACOM)||10.30%||33.67||15.23||55%||$1,541,430,126.00||471,152||45,780,523||4,715,394|
|Home Inns & Hotels Management Inc. (NASDAQ:HMIN)||10.80%||35.82||28.61||20%||$1,459,392,147.00||754,622||40,742,383||4,400,177|
|Digital River Inc. (NASDAQ:DRIV)||13.70%||34.05||23.22||32%||$1,351,703,897.00||765,367||39,697,619||5,438,574|
|Bridgepoint Education Inc. (NYSE:BPI)||55.60%||19.72||12.75||35%||$1,029,864,501.00||354,795||52,224,368||29,036,749|
|Radian Group Inc. (NYSE:RDN)||17.60%||7.03||0.05||99%||$934,587,792.00||6,914,644||132,942,783||23,397,930|
|Acorda Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:ACOR)||18.80%||22.38||20.43||9%||$874,603,385.00||1,163,853||39,079,688||7,346,981|
|MedAssets Inc. (NASDAQ:MDAS)||11.30%||14.87||13.88||7%||$868,556,693.00||529,899||58,410,000||6,600,330|
|Sonic Automotive Inc. (NYSE:SAH)||15.60%||14.53||8.21||43%||$765,542,939.00||387,822||52,687,058||8,219,181|
|Wabash National Corp. (NYSE:WNC)||15.70%||10.6||3.17||70%||$723,925,266.00||1,220,382||68,294,834||10,722,289|
|Savient Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:SVNT)||21.70%||10.18||9.06||11%||$715,226,461.00||3,097,058||70,258,000||15,245,986|
|Peet’s Coffee & Tea Inc (NASDAQ:PEET)||22.30%||45.99||33.2||28%||$600,767,392.00||144,794||13,063,000||2,913,049|
|Liz Claiborne Inc (NYSE:LIZ)||25%||5.39||3.9||28%||$509,626,385.00||3,468,950||94,550,352||23,637,588|
|China MediaExpress Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:CCME)||74.50%||13.09||7.58||42%||$483,049,921.00||3,950,058||36,902,209||27,492,146|
|Cytori Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:CYTX)||14.80%||6.13||3.15||49%||$309,621,365.00||446,741||50,509,194||7,475,361|
|Wave Systems Corp. (NASDAQ:WAVX)||11.10%||3.79||1.76||54%||$307,612,228.00||1,118,209||81,164,177||9,009,224|
|Pacific Sunwear of California Inc (NASDAQ:PSUN)||23.50%||4.52||2.92||35%||$298,685,983.00||1,078,454||66,080,970||15,529,028|
|Pacer International (NASDAQ:PACR)||18.90%||5.45||4.9||10%||$190,272,028.00||398,006||34,912,300||6,598,425|
|Celldex Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:CLDX)||13.90%||4.18||2.91||30%||$133,977,095.00||373,282||32,051,938||4,455,219|
|Mela Sciences Inc. (NASDAQ:MELA)||25.20%||3.07||2.44||21%||$77,527,126.00||633,758||25,253,136||6,363,790|
About the companies:
- Xilinx (NASDAQ:XLNX): Xilinx, Inc. designs, develops and markets complete programmable logic solutions. The Company’s solutions include advanced integrated circuits, software design tools, predefined system functions delivered as cores of logic, and field engineering support. Xilinx sells its products through several channels of distribution to customers in the United States and overseas.
- Ciena Corp. (NASDAQ:CIEN): Ciena Corporation develops and markets communications network platforms and software, and offers professional services. The Company’s broadband access, data and optical networking platforms, software tools, and global network services support worldwide telecom and cable/MSO service providers, and enterprise and government networks.
- St. Joe Company (NYSE:JOE): The St. Joe Company is a real estate operating company. The Company provides community, commercial, industrial, leisure, and resort development, as well as timber, and commercial real estate services.
- Patriot Coal Corp. (NYSE:PCX): Patriot Coal Company is a coal mining company. The Company operates in Central and Northern Appalachia and the Illinois Basin.
- Watsco Inc. (NYSE:WSO): Watsco, Inc. distributes air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration equipment, as well as related parts and supplies. The Company operates various locations in the United States, with primary markets in the Sunbelt.
- International Coal Group Inc (NYSE:ICO): International Coal Group, Inc. mines coal. The Company operates in northern and central Appalachia and the Illinois Basin.
- Ancestry.com Inc (NASDAQ:ACOM): Ancestry.com, Inc. is an online family history research company. The Company’s website offers online sources for family and local histories, vital records, military records and census records, as well as civil, ecclesiastical, and immigration records.
- Home Inns & Hotels Management Inc. (NASDAQ:HMIN): Home Inns & Hotels Management, Inc. operates a chain of budget hotels in the People’s Republic of China. The Company manages some of the hotels in its chain on behalf of franchisees.
- Digital River Inc. (NASDAQ:DRIV): Digital River, Inc. provides comprehensive electronic commerce outsourcing solutions to software publishers and online retailers. The Company also provides data mining and merchandising services to assist clients in increasing Internet page view traffic to web sites.
- Bridgepoint Education Inc. (NYSE:BPI): Bridgepoint Education, Inc. is a regionally accredited provider of postsecondary education services. The Company offers associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in the disciplines of business, education, psychology, social sciences, and health sciences.
- Radian Group Inc. (NYSE:RDN): Radian Group, Inc. provides financial guarantee insurance. The Company’s products and services enable homebuyers to purchase homes more quickly and with small down payments, protect lenders against loan default, and lower the costs of mortgage origination and servicing. Radian also provides insurance and reinsurance to investors in corporate, municipal, and asset-backed securities.
- Acorda Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:ACOR): Acorda Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company that is developing therapies for spinal cord injury and related neurological conditions, including multiple sclerosis. Additionally, Acorda is developing multiple approaches to regeneration and repair of the spinal cord and brain.
- MedAssets Inc. (NASDAQ:MDAS): MedAssets Inc. provides technology-enabled products and services for hospitals and health systems. The Company’s technology-enabled solutions are delivered primarily through company-hosted, or ASP-based, software supported by enterprise-wide sales, account management, implementation services and consulting.
- Sonic Automotive Inc. (NYSE:SAH): Sonic Automotive, Inc. is an automotive retailer. The Company operates dealers and collision repair centers in the metropolitan southeastern, midwestern, and southwestern United States. The Company sells new and used cars and light trucs as well as replacement parts. Sonic also provides vehicle maintenance, warranty, paint, and repair services, and arranges financing.
- Wabash National Corp. (NYSE:WNC): Wabash National Corporation manufactures semi trailers in North America. The company specializes in the design and production of dry freight vans, refrigerated vans, flatbed trailers, drop deck trailers, dump trailers, truck bodies and intermodal equipment.
- Savient Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:SVNT): Savient Pharmaceuticals, Inc. develops, manufactures, and markets human health care products for niche and wider markets. The Company offers pharmaceutical products for a wide range of medical needs such as weight gain, drugs targeting the control elevated uric acid levels in the blood, and rheumatology.
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea Inc (NASDAQ:PEET): Peet’s Coffee & Tea Inc. markets fresh roasted whole bean coffee. The Company distributes its products through specialty grocery and gourmet food stores, mail order, and office restaurant accounts.
- Liz Claiborne Inc (NYSE:LIZ): Liz Claiborne, Inc. designs and markets branded women’s and men’s apparel, accessories, and fragrance products. The Company’s portfolio of brands includes most apparel and non-apparel categories. Liz Claiborne’s products are available at retal locations throughout the world, including its own retail and outlet stores, and on its e-commerce sites.
- China MediaExpress Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:CCME): China MediaExpress Holdings, Inc. offers television advertising services on inter-city express buses. The Company operates television displays on the buses.
- Cytori Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:CYTX): Cytori Therapeutics, Inc. discovers and develops cell-based therapeutics utilizing adult stem cells derived from fat tissue. The Company’s investigational therapies target cardiovascular disease, spine and orthopedic conditions, gastrointestinal disorders, and new approaches for aesthetic and reconstructive surgery.
- Wave Systems Corp. (NASDAQ:WAVX): Wave Systems Corp. creates technologies and services to secure and sell digital information. The Company’s EMBASSY technology is a hardware and software-based device that enables secure transaction processing and distributed information metering in users’ personal computers.
- Pacific Sunwear of California Inc (NASDAQ:PSUN): Pacific Sunwear of California, Inc. operates a nationwide mall-based specialty retail chain of stores. The Company specializes in casual apparel, footwear, and related accessories catering to teenagers and young adults.
- Pacer International (NASDAQ:PACR): Pacer International, Inc. provides transportation and logistics solutions. The Company offers a variety of transportation-related services, including trucking, intermodal marketing, logistics, and freight services. Pacer provides integrated services through a national network of sales agents, independent contractors, and railroad/drayage partnerships.
- Celldex Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:CLDX): Celldex Therapeutics, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, uses applications of immunology to prevent and treat diseases. The Company’s products treat autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and inflammation, as well as infectious diseases and organ transplant rejection.
- Mela Sciences Inc. (NASDAQ:MELA): MELA Sciences Inc is a medical device company focused on the design and development of a non-invasive, point-of-care instrument to assist in the early diagnosis of melanoma. The Company’s product features a device that captures images of suspicious pigmented skin lesions and extracts data.