iPhone Demand Exceeds Analyst Expectations

Consumers are so anxious for the latest Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) technology that they’re willing to break their cellular plan contracts in order to upgrade to the newest model. A report by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) found that 45% of iPhone buyers paid fees to break their previous contracts in order to get the iPhone 4S.

CIRP also found that the iPhone 4 owners tended to come out on top by selling their still sought after iPhone 4 models for as much or sometimes more than their plan cancellation fees.

Of those surveyed, 71% were previous iPhone users while the other 29% switched from iPhone competitors.  Of those who made the move, 51% were once Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android users, 42% had used a BlackBerry (NASDAQ:RIMM), and 7% jumped from a Palm (NYSE:HPQ) device.

57% of iPhone users surveyed purchased their iPhones at a retail location while the remaining 43% bought their devices online. Through both retail and online avenues, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) sold 25% of the iPhones themselves.

The demand for the iPhone 4s has surpassed analyst expectations and the subsequent price drops in the 4 and 3GS models have also increased their demand abroad.  CNET cited J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz who has increased his fourth quarter iPhone shipment estimates from 25.3 to 28 million.

More from The Cheat Sheet