Is Starbucks Digital Network a Big Deal?
Today Starbucks (SBUX) announced “Starbucks Digital Network” to provide another feature to the Starbucks store experience. The news is currently number one on Google Trends, but is it really a big deal?
I’m going to say,”No.” Upon first glance, I see a reasonable value add from the free access to WSJ.com (NWSA), advanced access to GOOD, and the Bookish Reading Club. However, here are a few things which don’t move the needle:
- Extra New York Times content (we’re already drowning in what they give away free on their website);
- Extra Yahoo (YHOO) content (see above);
- Free movie trailers (seriously?);
- A couple hand-chosen free songs from Apple (you better love what they’re giving);
- Linked-In career-related content (can be found in plenty of places on the web); and,
- Foursquare checkin (my devices already have the app).
At the end of the day, this is a great deal for Starbucks corporation if they are monetizing the partnerships. But it’s a snoozer for customers even if they’re jolted on a Grande Mocha-Latte Frappuccino.