Today Starbucks (SBUX) announced “Starbucks Digital Network” to provide another feature to the Starbucks store experience. The news is currently number one on Google Trends, but is it really a big deal?
I’m going to say,”No.” Upon first glance, I see a reasonable value add from the free access to WSJ.com (NWSA), advanced access to GOOD, and the Bookish Reading Club. However, here are a few things which don’t move the needle:
- Extra New York Times content (we’re already drowning in what they give away free on their website);
- Extra Yahoo (YHOO) content (see above);
- Free movie trailers (seriously?);
- A couple hand-chosen free songs from Apple (you better love what they’re giving);
- Linked-In career-related content (can be found in plenty of places on the web); and,
- Foursquare checkin (my devices already have the app).
At the end of the day, this is a great deal for Starbucks corporation if they are monetizing the partnerships. But it’s a snoozer for customers even if they’re jolted on a Grande Mocha-Latte Frappuccino.