For profit educational institutions attract otherwise unqualified, non-traditional students with the hopes of getting a college degree. Typically these students take out expensive loans and then find that employers are not too impressed with the degree. The students are therefore left with large debt loads and few employment prospects.
Following is some information on ITT Educational Services’ recent stock price performance, along with some of its competitors.
- ITT Educational Services (NYSE:ESI): The shares recently traded at $61.24, down $3.85, or 5.91%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $54.01 to $95.52 and its market capitalization is $1.65 billion. .About the company: ITT Educational Services, Inc. provides technology-oriented postsecondary degree programs in the United States. The Company’s institutes offer associate, bachelor, and master degree programs, as well as non-degree diploma programs.
- Capella Education Company (NASDAQ:CPLA): The shares recently traded at $28.06, down $0.48, or 1.68%, on teh day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $26.12 to $69.85 and its market capitalization is $426.66 million. About the company: Capella Education Company is an online post-secondary education services company. The Company offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s programs through their subsidiary.
- Apollo Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:APOL): The shares recently traded at $42.18, down $1.76, or 4.01%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $33.75 to $54.23 and its market capitalization is $5.81 billion. About the company: Apollo Group, Inc. provides higher education programs for working adults. The Company provides educational programs and services at the high school, undergraduate, and graduate levels online and on-campus through subsidiaries.
- Career Education Corp. (NASDAQ:CECO): The shares recently traded at $14.59, down $1.47, or 9.15%, ont he day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $12.24 to $27.60 and its market capitalization is $1.11 billion. About the company: Career Education Corporation provides private, for-profit postsecondary education in the United States and Canada. The Company’s schools offer a variety of bachelor’s degree, associate degree, and non-degree programs, with a core curricula of information technologies, visual communication and design technologies, business studies, and culinary arts.
- DeVry, Inc. (NYSE:DV): The shares recently traded at $41.70, down $2.11, or 4.81%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $34.24 to $66.85 and its market capitalization is $2.86 billion. About the company: DeVry, Inc. owns and manages higher education systems throughout North America. The Institutions offer various degrees in a wide range of disciplines, including associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in technology; healthcare technology; business and management, as well as online secondary education to school districts and medical education.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>