In the midst of a widespread rout of the stock market, large cap companies in the Basic Materials sector are down today. Following is some information on five of the largest companies in the sector.
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper (NYSE:FCX): The shares recently traded at $39.31, down $0.95, o 2.36%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $28.85 to $61.35 and its market capitalization is $37.19 billion. Call options on the shares that expire on November 19th, 2011 have decreased in price, while put options on the same underlying have increased. This suggests a generally bearish posture for the stock in the near-term. About the company: Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, Inc., through its subsidiary, is a copper, gold and molybdenum mining company. The Company primarily mines for copper and owns mining interests in Chile and Indonesia. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold also, through a subsidiary, is involved in smelting and refining of copper concentrates.
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours (NYSE:DD): The shares recently traded at $47.66, down $0.43, or 0.89%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $37.10 to $57 and its market capitalization is $44.02 billion. About the company: E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company is a global chemical and life sciences company, with businesses that include agriculture and industrial biotechnology, chemistry, biology, materials science and manufacturing. The Company operates globally and offers a wide range of products and services for markets including agriculture and food, building and construction, electronics and communications.
- Newmont Mining Corp. (NYSE:NEM): The shares recently traded at $66.13, down $0.73, or 1.09%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $50.05 to $71.25 and its market capitalization is $32.68 billion. About the company: Newmont Mining Corporation acquires, explores, and develops mineral properties. The Company produces gold from operations in the United States, Australia, Peru, Indonesia, Ghana, Canada, New Zealand and Mexico. Newmont also mines and processes copper in Indonesia.
- United States Steel Corp. (NYSE:X): The shares recently traded at $24.63, down $0.74, or 2.92%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $18.85 to $64.03 and its market capitalization is $3.55 billion. About the company: United States Steel Corporation is an integrated steel producer with production operations in North America and Europe. The Company’s operations include coke production in both North America and Europe and iron ore pellets in North America, transportation services (railroad and barge operations), real estate operations, and engineering and consulting services in North America.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan (NYSE:POT): The shares recently traded at $45.67, down $1.71, or 3.61%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $39.54 to $63.97 and its market capitalization is $39.11 billion. About the company: Potash Corporation of Saskatachewan, Inc. produces potash, phosphate, and nitrogen to the agricultural and industrial industries worldwide. The Company conducts operations in Canada, Chile, the United States, Brazil, and Trinidad.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>