Legendary Investor Warren Buffett’s Fund Owns These Stocks
Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRKB) reported holding $52,560,379 in public company stock at the end of 2010. Following is a summary of Berkshire Hathaway‘s stock holdings at the end of 2010:
- American Express Co. (NYSE:AXP): Berkshire holds 151,610,700 shares worth $6,507,132,000 as of the last day of trading in 2010. This represents 12.38% of Berkshire‘s stock portfolio. American Express Company is a global payment and travel company.
- Bank of New York Mellon Corp. (NYSE:NK): Berkshire holds 1,793,915 shares worth $54,176,000 as of the last day of trading in 2010. This represents 0.10% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (BNY Mellon) is a global financial services company.
- The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE:KO): Berkshire owns 200,000,000 shares worth $13,154,000,000 as of the last day of trading in 2010. This represents 25.03% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. The Coca-Cola Company manufactures, markets, and distributes soft drink concentrates and syrups.
- Comdisco Holding Co. (OTC:CDCO): Berkshire owns 1,538,377 shares worth $13,846,000 as of the last day of trading in 2010. This represents 0.03% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. (Note that this stock trades in the OTC markets. If you’re wondering why a famed value investor like Buffett is investing in illiquid OTC stocks, he originally bought a large stake in this company as it was going through bankruptcy proceedings, in order to have a claim on the cash that the liquidation of the company’s assets generated.) Comdisco Holding Company, Inc. (Comdisco Holding) was formed for the purpose of selling, collecting or otherwise reducing to money in an orderly manner the remaining assets of the Company and all of its direct and indirect subsidiaries, including Comdisco, Inc.
- ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP): Berkshire owns 29,109,637 shares worth $1,982,366,000. This represents 3.77% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. ConocoPhillips is an international, integrated company which operates in several business segments.
- Costco Wholesale Corp. (NASDAQ:COST): Berkshire owns 4,333,363 shares worth $312,912,000. This represents 0.60% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Costco Wholesale Corporation operates wholesale membership warehouses in multiple countries.
- Exxon Mobil Corp. (NYSE:XOM): Berkshire owns 421,800 shares worth $30,842,000. This represents 0.06% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Exxon Mobil Corporation operates petroleum and petrochemicals businesses on a worldwide basis.
- Gannett Inc. (NYSE:GCI): Berkshire owns 1,740,231 shares worth $26,260,000. This represents 0.05% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Gannett Co., Inc. is an international news and information company that publishes various daily newspapers in the United States and the United Kingdom, including “USA TODAY” and “USA WEEKEND,” a newspaper magazine.
- General Electric Co. (NYSE:GE): Berkshire owns 7,777,900 shares worth $142,258,000. This represents 0.27% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. General Electric Company is a diversified technology, media, and financial services company.
- GlaxoSmithKline ADR (NYSE:GSK): Berkshire owns 1,510,500 shares worth $59,242,000. This represents 0.11% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. GlaxoSmithKline plc is a research-based pharmaceutical group that develops, manufactures and markets vaccines, prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as heath-related consumer products.
- Ingersoll-Rand Plc (NYSE:IR): Berkshire owns 636,600 shares worth $29,949,000. This represents 0.06% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Ingersoll-Rand PLC is a diversified, global company that provides a diverse range of products and services for a wide range of industries.
- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ): Berkshire owns 42,624,563 shares worth $2,636,330,000. This represents 5.02% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Johnson & Johnson manufactures health care products and provides related services for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets.
- Kraft Foods Inc. (NYSE:KFT): Berkshire owns 105,214,584 shares worth $3,315,311,000. This represents 6.31% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Kraft Foods, Inc is a food and beverage company.
- M & T Bank Corporation (NYSE:MTB): Berkshire owns 5,636,821 shares worth $466,920,000. This represents 0.89% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. M&T Bank Corporation is a bank holding company.
- Moody’s (NYSE:MCO): Berkshire owns 28,415,250 shares worth $754,141,000. This represents 1.43% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Moody’s Corporation is a credit rating, research, and risk analysis firm.
- Procter & Gamble Co. (NYSE:PG): Berkshire owns 76,766,036 shares worth $4,938,358,000. This represents 9.40% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. The Procter & Gamble Company manufactures and markets consumer products in countries throughout the world.
- Sanofi Aventis ADR (NYSE:SNY): Berkshire owns 4,063,675 shares worth $130,972,000. This represents 0.25% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Sanofi-Aventis is a global pharmaceutical company that researches, develops and manufactures prescription pharmaceuticals and vaccines.
- Torchmark Corp. (NYSE:TMK): Berkshire owns 2,823,879 shares worth $168,698,000. This represents 0.32% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Torchmark Corporation is an insurance and financial services holding company.
- US Bancorp (NYSE:USB): Berkshire owns 69,039,426 shares worth $1,861,994,000. This represents 3.54% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. U.S. Bancorp is a diversified financial services company that provides lending and depository services, cash management, foreign exchange and trust and investment management services.
- USG Corporation (NYSE:USG): Berkshire owns 17,072,192 shares worth $287,325,000. This represents 0.55% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. USG Corporation, through its subsidiaries, manufactures and distributes building materials.
- United Parcel Service Inc. (NYSE:UPS): Berkshire owns 1,429,000 shares worth $103,731,000. This represents 0.20% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. United Parcel Service, Inc. (NYSE:UPS) delivers packages and documents throughout the United States and in other countries and territories.
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT): Berkshire owns 39,037,142 shares worth $2,105,273,000. This represents 4.01% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates discount stores, supercenters, and neighborhood markets.
- Washington Post Co. (NYSE:WPO): Berkshire owns 1,727,765 shares worth $759,354,000. This represents 1.44% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. The Washington Post Company is a diversified media and education company.
- Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE:WFC): Berkshire owns 342,623,925 shares worth $10,617,915,000. This represents 20.2% of Berkshire‘s overall stock portfolio. Wells Fargo & Company is a diversified financial services company providing banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, leasing, credit cards, and consumer finance.
- Wesco Finl Corp. (AMEX:WSC): Berkshire owns 5,703,087 shares worth $2,101,074,000. This represents 4.00% of Berkshire’s overall stock portfolio. Wesco Financial Corporation operates through its insurance, furniture rental, and steel service center businesses.
Some quick descriptive statistics on the portfolio:
- Mean: $2,102,415,160
- Median: $466,920,00
- Range: $13,140,154,000
- Max: $13,154,000,000
- Min: $13,846,000
Buffett’s portfolio is very heavily concentrated in a few stocks: American Express Co., Coca Cola, and Wells Fargo comprise 57.61% of his portfolio.
However large his equity portfolio it is actually a relatively small piece of the overall Berkshire Hathaway empire. Berkshire Hathaway‘s most recent balance sheet shows total assets of $372,229,000,000. Its $52,000,000,000 equity portfolio is a mere 14%. Goodwill alone is carried at almost the same value, $49,006,000,000.