Mid-Day Monday Stocks Buzzing the Business Headlines
Following is some information on hot stocks’ lighting up traders’ screens this Monday afternoon. Among the companies whose shares are actively trading in the session are Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX), Complete Production Services Inc. (NYSE:CPX) and Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL).
- Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) issued a press release today announcing that it was retreating from its plan to hive off its DVD-rental business into a separate company called Qwikster. The shares recently traded at $120.50, up $3.19, or 2.79%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $107.63 to $304.79 and its market capitalization is $6.34 billion. About the company: Netflix, Inc. is an online movie rental service. The Company ships DVDs with no due dates or late fees, directly to the subscriber’s address. Netflix also provides background information on DVD releases, including critic reviews, member reviews and ratings, and personalized movie recommendations.
- Oil-field-services company Superior Energy Services Inc. (NYSE:SPN) has agreed to buy Complete Production Services (NYSE:CPX). Shares of Superior Energy Services, Inc. recently traded at $23.27, down $4.15, or 15.14%, on the news. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $22.19 to $42.87 and its market capitalization is $1.86 billion. Shares of Complete Production Services recently traded at $27.97, up $7.59, or 37.24%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $16.46 to $42.62 and its market capitalization is $2.22 billion. The shares of other oilfield companies rose in sympathy, including those of Basic Energy Services (NYSE:BAS), Pioneer Drilling Co. (AMEX:PDC), Patterson-UTI Energy Inc. and RPC Inc. (NYSE:RES).
- Pre-orders for Apple‘s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone 4S hit a record one million in a single day. The company’s previous single-day record for orders, achieved with the announcement of the iPhone 4, was 600,000 orders. The shares recently traded at $384.54, up $14.74, or 3.98%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $290 to $422.86 and its market capitalization is $356.5 billion. About the company: Apple, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers and related personal computing and mobile communication devices along with a variety of related software, services, peripherals, and networking solutions. The Company sells its products worldwide through its online stores, its retail stores, its direct sales force, third-party wholesalers, and resellers.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. (NYSE:SMG) reduced its earnings guidance of the year. The company highlighted a year-over-year decline in US sales for the previous month. The shares recently traded at $45.54, down $1.41, or 3%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $39.99 to $60.62 and its market capitalization is $2.87 billion. About the company: The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company markets branded consumer lawn and garden products, as well as a full range of products for professional horticulture. The Company manufactures and markets fertilizers, pest controls, plant foods, gardening soils, grass seed, and other products in North American and Europe. Scotts Miracle-Gro also provides lawn service in the United States.
- Arch Coal Inc. (NYSE:ACI) is trading higher today on news that the company plans to open an office in London, in order to meet expected European demand for its coal. The shares recently traded at $16.28, up $0.94, or 6.13%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $13.09 to $36.99 and its market capitalization is $3.47 billion. About the company: Arch Coal, Inc. mines, processes, and markets low sulfur coal from surface, underground, and auger mines located in the western United States and in the central Appalachian region. The Company markets its coal primarily to electric utilities.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>