Retailer Roundup: 6 Stocks to Watch After Big Sales Data
MarketWatch reports that retail (NYSE:XRT) sales ended the month of June on a high note, with chain store sales up 3.5% at the week ending July 2nd, the fastest pace since Jan 8th this year. Johnson Redbook Retail Sales Index also rose 5.2% YoY for that week, and 2.5% from the previous week. Analysts are attributing the exceptional sales week to lower gasoline prices, warmer weather, and the impending July 4th holiday. Here are a look at stocks of major retailers reporting monthly same store sales this morning:
Savvy Stock Picks: Check Out Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s newest Feature Trades of the Month >>
1) Costco (NASDAQ:COST) reported same store sales this morning that rose 14% for the month of June, beating the average analysts expectation of a 12.8% increase. The stock is up .18% premarket. Total sales for the month, ending the week of July 3rd, rose 18% to $8.69 billion, with sales at international locations (18%) outpacing performance at domestic stores (12%).
2) Target (NYSE:TGT) is way up (6.83%) premarket on a strong sales month for the chain store that topped analyst sales projections of a 3.2% increase. Target sales were up 4.5% for the month of June, with sales totals for the period up 5.7% to $6.26 billion.
3) Macy’s (NYSE:M) up 3.22% before the opening bell this morning same store sales up 6.7% for June and boosting its sales outlook for the rest of the year. In June, total sales rose 7.5% to $2.39 billion from $2.23 billion, topping consensus projections of 5.7%.
4) Limited Brands (NYSE:LTD) stock has climbed 4.21% in premarket trades this morning on strong monthly sales news. LTD reported same-store sales advanced 12% while total sales also moved up 12%, to $1.08 billion, in the month of June. Analyst consensus was targeting a 3.5% hike.
5) Dillards (NYSE:DDS) shares unchanged premarket but expected to open higher on news of a strong sales month for the apparel and home furnishing retailer. Same store sales were up 6% for the month of June, while total sales also rose 5%.
6) Gap (NYSE:GPS) stock trading up 2.29% premarket on stronger than expected June sales. Same store sales for the Gap rose 1% in the month, compared to a 2.3% loss projected by analysts. Total company sales were up 5% to $1.38 billion.