Same-Store Retail Sales Rose 5.1% in September
September retail sales were mostly upbeat in the U.S., as promotions helped remove back-to-school merchandise as retailers prepared for the holiday season, shifting into colder-weather gear. Hurricane Irene, which hit in the last week of August, might also have been responsible for pushing some sales into last month.
The 23 retailers tracked by Thomson Reuters reported a 5.1% rise in same-store sales last month, beating expectations for a 4.6% rise and widely outperforming last September’s 2.7% growth. So far, 12 stores have reported beating sales estimates, while 7 have reported falling short.
Here’s your cheat sheet to all of Reuters’ retailers reporting same-store sales so far today, in terms of reported sales versus Thomson Reuters’ estimates:
- The Cato Corporation (NYSE:CATO) -3% vs. -2.5%.
- J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) -0.6% vs. +0.6%.
- Kohl’s (NYSE:KSS) +4.1% vs. +2.2%.
- Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) +10.7% vs. +5.2%.
- Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) +5% vs. +3.4%.
- Saks (NYSE:SKS) +9.3% vs. +6.5%.
- Target (NYSE:TGT) +5.3% vs. +3.9%.
- The Buckle (NYSE:BKE) +10.3% vs. +3.8%.
- The TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) +4% vs. +3.2%.
- The Wet Seal (NASDAQ:WTSLA) -0.3% vs. +3.8%.
- Zumiez Inc. (NASDAQ:ZUMZ) +10.1% vs. +3.2%.
- Walgreen Company (NYSE:WAG) +3.1% vs. +4.6%.
- Costco (NASDAQ:COST) +12% vs. +10.1%.
- Dillard’s (NYSE:DDS) +4% vs. +3.3%.
- The Gap Inc. (NYSE:GPS) -4% vs. -3.8%.
- Limited Brands (NYSE:LTD) +11% vs. +4.6%.
- Macy’s (NYSE:M) +4.9% vs. +4.4%.
- Stage Stores (NYSE:SSI) -0.7% vs. +0.3%.
- Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) -1.7% vs. -1.5%.