Stock Analysis Recap: Here’s Why These Stocks Trended This Week
Institutional investors and traders are making some big trades as earnings season kicks off. Here’s your Cheat Sheet to the hottest stocks of the week from the day the stock was most active.
Investing Insights: Amazon.com has a Stock Chart Technical Analysts Dream About.
1) DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH): Shares of DISH Network Corporation are trading higher over 4% today as rumors are still swirling the company is still interested in Hulu’s video streaming business. DISH Network Corp. provides a direct broadcast satellite subscription television service in the United States.
2) General Electric (NYSE:GE): Shares of General Electric are higher over 3% today after resuming talks with a European aircraft company and the positive jolt out of Europe today. General Electric Company is a diversified technology, media and financial services company. The Company offers products and services ranging from aircraft engines, power generation, and water processing technology to medical imaging, business and consumer financing, media content and industrial products. General Electric conducts operations globally.
3) IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ:IPGP): Shares of IPG Photonics Corporation are trading flat today. Analyst Needham still thinks “an economic cloud continues to hover” over the laser manufacturer. IPG Photonics Corporation produces high-power fiber lasers and amplifiers. The Company develops and commercializes optical fiber-based lasers used in a wide range of applications such as materials processing, telecommunications and medical applications.
4) Superior Energy Services (NYSE:SPN): Shares of Superior Energy Services are lowerover 14% today after announcing the acquisition of Complete Production Services for $2.7B in cash and stock in a deal that will provide Superior with increased fracking capabilities. Superior Energy Services, Inc. provides specialized oilfield services and equipment. The Company conducts operations offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and throughout the Gulf Coast region. Superior leases oilfield equipment, provides oil and gas well plug and abandonment services, and provides other equipment and services.
5) Complete Production Services (NYSE:CPX): Shares of Complete Production Services are higher on the news it is being acquired at a premium. Shares are up over 37% today. Complete Production Services, Inc. offers services to the oil and natural gas production industry. The Company establishes, maintains, and enhances the flow of oil and gas throughout the life of a well, offers land drilling, specialized rig logistics and site preparation services, and offers products such as completion, flow control and artificial lift equipment, and tubular goods.
6) Xerox (NYSE:XRX): Shares of Xerox are higher over 7% today on above average volume and value buying as the company’s shares recently hit a 52-week low. Xerox Corporation develops, manufactures, markets, services, and finances a range of document processing products and services for use in offices around the world. The Company also, through subsidiaries, provides network management, consulting, design, and integration services for medium and large companies.
7) Alcoa (NYSE:AA) kicks off earnings season as the first stock component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average to report earnings this week. The consensus analyst earnings estimate is for $.23 cents per share and $6.24 billion in revenue. AA has met or beaten earnings estimates the past 4 quarters in a row by an average of 0%-80%. Earnings will be released Tuesday, October 11th.
8) American Express (NYSE:AXP): The consensus analyst earnings estimate is for $.96 cents per share and $7.58 billion in revenue. AXP has beaten earnings estimates the past 3 out of 4 quarters in a row by an average of -9.3% to 8.1%. Earnings will be released October 19th.
9) Boeing (NYSE:BA): Analysts are expecting an average report of $1.06 per share in profit and $18.03 billion in revenue. BA has beaten earnings estimates the past 4 quarters in a row by an average of 5.7%-40.5%. Earnings will be released October 26th.
10) Bank of America (NYSE:BAC): Analysts are expecting an average report of a $.19 per share in profit and $25.67 billion in revenue. BAC has missed earnings estimates the past 2 quarters in a row by -37% and -71.4%. Earnings will be released October 18th.
11) Caterpillar, Inc (NYSE:CAT): The consensus analyst earnings estimate is for $1.60 cents per share and $15 billion in revenue. CAT has beaten earnings estimates 3 out of the past 4 quarters in a row with a surprise average of -13.1% to 40.50%. Earnings will be released October 24th.
12) Cisco Systems (NASDAQ:CSCO): Analysts are expecting an average report of $.39 per share in profit and $11.02 billion in revenue. CSCO has beaten earnings estimates the past 4 quarters in a row by an average of 5%-13.50%. Earnings will be released November 9th.
13) Chevron (NYSE:CVX): Analysts are expecting an average report of $3.41 per share in profit and $70.43 billion in revenue. CVX has beaten earnings estimates 3 out of the past 4 quarters by an average of -13% to 7.8%. Earnings will be released October 28th.
14) E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (NYSE:DD): The consensus analyst earnings estimate is for $.56 cents per share and $8.71 billion in revenue. DD has beaten earnings estimates the past 4 quarters in a row with a surprise average of 2.2% to 56.2%. Earnings will be released October 25th.
15) Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS): The consensus analyst earnings estimate is for $.55 cents per share and $10.39 billion in revenue. DIS has beaten earnings estimates 2 out of the past 4 quarters in a row with a surprise average of -14% to 21.4%. Earnings will be released November 10th.
16) General Electric (NYSE:GE): The consensus analyst earnings estimate is for $.32 cents per share and $34.84 billion in revenue. GE has beaten earnings estimates the past 4 quarters in a row with a surprise average of 3.7% to 17.90%. Earnings will be released October 21st.
17) Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C): Shares of Citigroup Inc. are trading higher over 5% today after UBS released a bullish note on the bank’s shares, citing the recent downturn is not a long-term negative for the undervalued stock. Citigroup Inc. is a diversified financial services holding company that provides a broad range of financial services to consumer and corporate customers around the world. The Company’s services include investment banking, retail brokerage, corporate banking, and cash management products and services.
18) Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX): Shares of Netflix Inc. are trading lower over 2% today following yesterday’s axe on the Qwikster initiative. Investors believe the company needs to do some brand repairing before the stock can garner the upside momentum once achieved. Netflix Inc. is an online movie rental service. The Company ships DVDs with no due dates or late fees, directly to the subscriber’s address. Netflix also provides background information on DVD releases, including critic reviews, member reviews and ratings, and personalized movie recommendations.
19) First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ:FSLR): Shares of First Solar are trading lower over 6% today. The Solyndra shakeout and battle with the government is still depressing solar stocks. First Solar, Inc. designs and manufactures solar modules. The Company uses a thin film semiconductor technology to manufacture electricity-producing solar modules.
20) BigBand Networks (NASDAQ:BBND): Shares are shooting higher 74% today following the announcement Arris will acquire the company for $2.24 per share in cash. BigBand Networks designs, manufactures, and sells platforms for broadband multimedia services. The Company develops routers that integrate video, audio, and data in their native formats for use by digital cable providers.
21) ADTRAN Inc. (NASDAQ:ADTN): Shares of ADTRAN Inc. are trading lower over 3% today. Investors appear to be taking profits as the company delivered strong double-digit top line growth. ADTRAN, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, markets, and services a variety of high-speed digital transmission products. The Company’s products are used by telephone companies and corporate end-users to implement advanced digital data services over existing telephone networks. ADTRAN also offers a line of multiplexers which provides modular flexibility.
22) Pepsico Inc. (NYSE:PEP): Shares of Pepsico Inc. are trading higher almost 4% today following a very impressive quarterly earnings report and 13% revenue jump. PepsiCo, Inc. operates worldwide beverage, snack and food businesses. The Company manufacture or uses contract manufacturers, market and sell a variety of grain-based snacks, carbonated and non-carbonated beverages and foods in countries throughout the world.
23) Alcoa (NYSE:AA): Shares of Alcoa are rebounding with today’s rally after being down 3.5% earlier in the day. The company delivered strong double-digit revenue growth, but missed analyst expectations. Maybe people realize that 20+% revenue growth is not a recessionary statistic. Alcoa is a global producer of aluminum. It is mainly engaged in the production and management of primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina combined. It is actively involved in a range of industries, including technology, mining, smelting, and recycling.
24) Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S):Shares of Sprint are higher over 11% today as Blackberry hits a bump in the service road this morning. Also, the Apple deal with Sprint is proving to be a high demand mover as consumers continue to hit the Sprint website for the Apple iPhone 4S. Sprint Nextel Corp. offers a range of wireless and wireline communications products and services.
25) Netfix (NASDAQ:NFLX): Shares of Netflix are up over 5% today after reversing its PR disaster downturn with investors. Netflix, Inc. provides subscription service streaming movies and TV episodes over the Internet and by mail.
26) Banco Santander SA (NYSE:BSBR): Shares of Banco Santander SA are trading lower today following lead bank JP Morgan’s stock selloff. Banco Santander Brasil SA attracts deposits and offers retail, commercial and private banking, and asset management services. The Bank offers consumer credit, mortgage loans, lease financing, mutual funds, insurance, commercial credit, investment banking services, and structured finance.
27) Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK): Shares of Nokia Corporation are trading lower today after announcing it will release a new Windows phone in the second half of 2012. Bullish reports continue to point toward the Apple iPhone and away from Nokia and Blackberry. Nokia Corporation is a player in the mobile industry. The Company makes a range of mobile devices with services and software that enable people to experience music, navigation, video, television, imaging, games, business mobility and more. Nokia also provides equipment, solutions and services for communications networks.
28) Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS): Shares of Morgan Stanley are trading lower 4% today after bellwether JPMorgan disappointed investors with their quarterly earnings report. Morgan Stanley, a bank holding company, provides diversified financial services on a worldwide basis. The Company operates a global securities business which serves individual and institutional investors and investment banking clients. Morgan Stanley also operates a global asset management business.
29) British American Tobacco (AMEX:BTI): Shares of British American Tobacco are trading higher today as investors flock to defensive stocks. British American Tobacco PLC is the holding company for a group of companies that manufacture, market and sell cigarettes and other tobacco products, including cigars and roll-your-own tobacco.
30) Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ:SYMC): Shares of Symantec Corporation are trading lower today. Symantec Corporation provides security, storage and systems management solutions to help businesses and consumers secure and manage their information. The Company offers software and services that protect, manage and control information risks related to security, data protection, storage, compliance and management.
31) Chesapeake Midstream Partners, L.P. (NYSE:CHKM): Shares of Chesapeake Midstream Partners, L.P. are trading higher today. Chesapeake Midstream Partners LP owns, operates, develops, and acquires natural gas gathering systems and other midstream energy assets. The Company is principally focused on natural gas gathering, the first segment of midstream energy infrastructure that connects natural gas produced at the wellhead to third-party takeaway pipelines.
32) United States Natural Gas Fund, LP (NYSE:UNG): Shares of United States Natural Gas Fund, LP are trading higher today. United States Natural Gas Fund LP is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund’s objective is for the units’ net asset value to reflect the performance of the price of natural gas delivered at the Henry Hub, Louisiana, as measured by the futures contract on natural gas traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
33) General Electric Company (NYSE:GE): Shares of General Electric Company are trading higher 2% today. Despite all the negative buzz surrounding the solar industry, GE announced plans to build a $600M facility in Colorado to manufacture thin-film solar panels, with commercial products shipping in 2013. General Electric Company is a diversified technology, media and financial services company. The Company offers products and services ranging from aircraft engines, power generation, and water processing technology to medical imaging, business and consumer financing, media content and industrial products. General Electric conducts operations globally.
34) Sirius XM Radio Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI): Shares of Sirius XM Radio Inc. are trading higher over 3% today. The technology sector is feeling the rising wave of the positive Google quarterly results issued yesterday evening. Sirius XM Radio Inc. broadcasts various channels of audio from its satellites. The Company provides its services throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee. Sirius delivers various streams of commercial-free music in every genre, as well as streams of news, sports, weather, talk, comedy, and public radio.
35) Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC): Shares of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson are trading higher over 4% today as the company reported better-than-expected earnings for their 3rd quarter results. Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson develops and manufactures products for wired and mobile communications in public and private networks. The Company produces mobile telephones through its Sony Ericsson joint venture. Ericsson manufactures and installs wired and wireless communications systems, wireless microwave links, call center equipment, microelectronics, and radar systems.
36) Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S): Shares of Sprint Nextel Corporation are trading higher 2% today as the Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone 4s is released on the Sprint mobile network for the first time in history today. Credit Suisse issued a bulled call on the company’s shares this morning. Sprint Nextel Corporation offers a range of wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, and government customers. The Company develops, engineers, and deploys various technologies, including two wireless networks offering mobile data services, instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities, and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone.
37) Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE): Shares of Pfizer Inc. are trading higher 1% today as the health care giants shares have been beaten down recently and value investors are snapping up shares paying a 4% plus dividend ahead of the weekend. Pfizer Inc. is a research-based, global pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets medicines for humans and animals. The Company’s products include prescription pharmaceuticals, non-prescription self-medications, and animal health products such as anti-infective medicines and vaccines.
38) Lloyds TSB Group plc (NYSE:LYG): Shares of Lloyds TSB Group plc are trading lower 3% today as Fitch downgraded the company. Lloyds Banking Group plc, through subsidiaries and associated companies, offers a range of banking and financial services. The Company provides retail banking, mortgages, pensions, asset management, insurance services, corporate banking, and treasury services.
39) Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc (NYSE:MTU): Shares of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc are trading lower over 1% today as the bank is still on investors’ skeptical side. Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is a holding company established through the merger of Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group and UFJ Holdings. As a financial group, the Company provides a variety of financial and investment services including commercial banking, trust banking, international finance, and assets management services.
40) China Unicom Limited (NYSE:CHU): Shares of China Unicom Limited are trading lower 4% today. China Unicom (Hong Kong) Limited, through its subsidiaries, provides telecommunications services in the People’s Republic of China. The Company’s services include cellular, paging, long distance, data, and Internet services.
42) Bank of America Corp (NYSE:BAC): Shares of Bank of America Corp are trading lower 1% today ahead of next week’s much anticipated quarterly earnings release. Bank of America Corporation accepts deposits and offers banking, investing, asset management, and other financial and risk-management products and services. The Company has a mortgage lending subsidiary, and an investment banking and securities brokerage subsidiary.
43) Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE:MFG): Shares of Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. are trading roughly flat today. Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. provides comprehensive financial services through its subsidiaries. The Group provides variety of financial services such as general banking, securities brokerage, trust banking, and assets management.